Fuji - Like FAS, Another Company that Overdelivers

Stratoblaster

Fractal Fanatic
In the fall of 2013 I traded in my complete Nikon DSLR camera/lens system and moved on to the Fuji interchangable mirrorless camera system for several reasons. It was a pretty big change of platforms, workflow, and was a 'big move' into a bit of an unknown.

The company has provided firmware updates a couple of times which added some improvements and functionality but I'm pretty floored with the latest version I just updated the system to. It brings major new features and usability from the current generations of Fuji cameras to my camera which is a generation down. It literally is getting the latest, newest generation of camera body/systems for free. I never expected anything like this, especially on an older system that has newer models out.

A major upgrade to the autofocus systems (much faster, entirely new focus modes), an all new electronic shutter (1/32000), totally new UI and display (much nicer electronic view finder organization of info), several other completely new, extremely useful features, all new, redone manual, and a ton of improvements/enhancements to existing functions.

Am really impressed with this move; most companies wouldn't support an older device but this is the kinda support that makes me a crazed fanboy; I couldn't be happier that I moved to the Fuji system....between FAS and Fuji I've really got it good; the bang for the buck is crazy....so nice to have companies like this. Pretty happy camper over here...

Stratoblaster, Which Fuji did you end up settling on? I'm slowly trying to convince my wife to ditch her Nikon D7000, which weighs a ton with all her lenses, and switch to one of the newer mirrorless options. Do you find that there are more limitations as opposed to DSLR cameras lens wise?

Stratoblaster, Which Fuji did you end up settling on? I'm slowly trying to convince my wife to ditch her Nikon D7000, which weighs a ton with all her lenses, and switch to one of the newer mirrorless options. Do you find that there are more limitations as opposed to DSLR cameras lens wise?

I moved to the XE-2 body which is a smaller rangefinder type (with the added grip). The XT-1 wasn't out at the time and I may have liked that body style more but I've no complaints with the XE-2. You now have an upgraded XE-2, the XT-1, and an X-Pro-2 on the way for more options.

The main reason for me to move to the mirrorless was size and weight of the system; shooting is so much more fun with my current rig.

I found absolutely no lens limitations with the mirrorless system; they have a full compliment of constant aperture f2.8 weather sealed zoom lenses (are a bit large and heavy) but I've been quite happy with the smaller variable aperture zoom lenses big time. The 10mm-24mm is a constant f4 but I don't miss that range not being available in f2.8. I replaced top of the line Nikon lenses with them and have no complaints.

Sometimes I do wish I had constant aperture lenses but, for me, it's really no issue. I recently purchased the 23mm f1.4 prime lens and I absolutely love it...images taken with it have a 'look' that is just beautiful. Fuji is adding more ranges to the line every year.

As far as missing the larger f2.8 lenses it hasn't been a problem at all for me; I can squeeze more performance in low light situations with a higher ISO setting and the captures are very, very clean with little noise. The Fuji sensor is amazing.

The main things I had to get used to were the electronic view finder (which also lowers the battery life vs an optical view finder), the ergonomics of the buttons/usability, and a bit of a slower autofocus vs a DSLR (shooting fast moving objects/sports is a bit more difficult) but, overall, I found the advantages crushed any small issues I had.

Chasing my 1 year old nephew around and taking pictures with the new "Eye Recognition" feature (never mind "Facial Recognition" lol) yielded razor sharp images for the eyes/face with a narrow depth of field... very nice images for sure with only a few missed shots from being out of focus; an amazing new feature. Fuji JPEG's are sweet right out of the camera.

I really love the Fuji system; shooting with it is just so much more fun and easier vs the huge Nikon rig I had.

Last edited:
That's great. What model are you using? I love my Fuji X100S.

I settled on the XE-2 and love it; you now have more body options (XT-1, upgraded XE-2, X-Pro-2) but I'm not even close to thinking of upgrading/changing bodies, especially after the latest firmware upgrade which, like I said in the OP, it's like getting a whole new, current body.

The X100S is really sweet too...I've read a lot of very satisfied reviews from many users across forums that love that camera too. I really like the Fuji sensors a lot.

If you shoot RAW at all check out Rawtherapee:

http://www.rawtherapee.com/

A very, very good freeware RAW converter; I used that to process my RAW files and get killer images from it.

Back
Top Bottom