Fuck you Gibson

My luthier has started doing carbon-fiber reinforced headstock repairs. He'll even match the woodgrain after. No idea what he's charging for this, but it seems to be a superior repair method to just glue.

This happened literally overnight. Played it yesterday and it was screaming beautifully. Picked it up today and wondered why the tuning had dropped down to low B. Retuned it, it went out of tune straight away. Looked up and saw that. It hasn't been dropped or whacked, the glue holding the headstock to the neck just let go.

When you have 7 tonnes of pressure vs a scarf joint and wood glue and a bad angle? Eventually the 7 tonnes of pressure is going to win.

This is why you are going out of business.

Now I am sad.

Forgive me for bringing back an 8 month old thread but I was doing a search on straplocks and this came up and, had a similiar experience. A friend of mine played in a Metallica/Megadeth tribute band, in fact it was he that influenced me to start my own Metallica tribute band. He played a Cherry Wine Les Paul Custom that belonged to a friend almost exclusively. He didn't like or couldn't afford a guitar stand :rolleyes: so he would lean it up against his amp when he took it off. Needless to say it would drop to the floor, frequently. A few times the headstock would break just like in the OP and I'd have to repair it for him, he was a happy go lucky sort. Finally on the 4th time I just said no (not like he was paying me) so he was stuck without a guitar for a while. I also had myself a Gibson Sonex when I was a kid about the same time Def Leppard's Photograph video came out. Well I really wanted an Ibanez Destroyer after seeing that video, so I made one in woodshop class, (I was getting straight A's :D not just making cutting boards). Took the neck off the Sonex and used it on my newly built walnut Destroyer body, threw a Duncan Invader in there and BOOM! A young metalhead was born. \m/ :cool: \m/ I'm surprised Gibby didn't go down when Norlin owned them in the 70's with his "pancake" Les Pauls.....

Last edited:
I have a Martin D28 that slid down the wall and landed on the backside of the headstock. Cracked it in half, just dangling. I broke out the old Elmer’s glue and a hand vice. Never sounded better! Seriously, it sounds great, plays great. No problem!

My luthier has started doing carbon-fiber reinforced headstock repairs. He'll even match the woodgrain after. No idea what he's charging for this, but it seems to be a superior repair method to just glue.

That is awesome, I've done similar repairs, but the finish repairs i have never been satisfied with...

Obviously a design flaw in Gibson head stocks. Surprised that after all these years they haven't addressed it. I never hear of PRS guitars breaking there.
Yeah...just get a PRS Singlecut! They are amazing and NEVER had an issue with head stock on any PRS guitar.

Back
Top Bottom