Fuck you Gibson

You're almost better off intentionally breaking then repairing the headstock immediately after buying a Gibson.
I think you're far better off staying away from Gibson in the first place and buying a guitar from a luthier.

...for me , it goes further than the name on the headstock. The shape , the feel , the sound , ..... They just got it - right.
A lot of guys have gone PRS , because they think it's an improved version of the Les Paul. I get the reasons , and they are legitimate in many ways , but PRS just look like a deformed Les Paul to me.
If PRS took ownership of Gibson , and kept the design shape of the Les Paul the same , improved QC , and implemented other "improvements" , THEN I'd be all over it.
I had a hard time finding a good LP 4 years ago. Very discouraging to say the least. Last year I bought a new goldtop standard , and it was ......"golden". Couldn't be happier.

Nothing wrong with a Les Paul shaped guitar, but the neck should not be built from a single piece. A laminated neck will waste less wood and be a lot stronger as well. Then you can have the best of both worlds.

I think you're far better off staying away from Gibson in the first place and buying a guitar from a luthier.

Except if you want to sell that Gibson later it will still have value. A custom built guitar, unless its from a really well know luthier, not so much.

Except if you want to sell that Gibson later it will still have value. A custom built guitar, unless its from a really well know luthier, not so much.
So what you're actually saying is you should buy an crappy overpriced geetar just in case you would want to sell it?
No thank you.
I'd rather buy a luthier built geetar I know I'm going to keep and cherish for the rest of my life ;-)

...hard to change anyone's mind about guitar preference. You like em or you don't. I like Gibsons and Fenders mostly. I have a few custom builds I like too. I'm pretty sure none of them are meant to use as blocking for changing the oil in my car , or paddling a canoe with.
If you use them enough , you bump a mic stand , floor , drum set , coffee table , etc. These are normal wounds , unless you're a " bubble boy".
My other guitar player was using strap locks that use a pin that inserts into a button , with little steel balls that move in and out to "lock". Well , it didn't LOCK , and his LP fell 4' to the floor. Chipped the headstock on the top corner. UGLY scar. Took it to a great luthier ( with the piece) - now you can't tell it was damaged. He installed a set of schaller straplocks shortly after.

So what you're actually saying is you should buy an crappy overpriced geetar just in case you would want to sell it?
No thank you.
I'd rather buy a luthier built geetar I know I'm going to keep and cherish for the rest of my life ;-)

That would be my instinct too. If resale value is the first thing that comes to mind you're not buying the right guitar. But to many it is important and as such partscasters and guitars made by local luthiers, no matter how well made, are generally worth less then the sum of their parts. Anyone thinking of building or ordering their own custom guitar should do well to at consider that. Design your dream guitar very well. Really know what you want, and know that it will still be worth a lot less then what you paid for it.

Unless you're named Brian May or Matt Bellamy.

So you think you can sell your Gibson for the same price you bought it for new??
Keep on dreaming.

Nothing wrong with a Les Paul shaped guitar, but the neck should not be built from a single piece. A laminated neck will waste less wood and be a lot stronger as well. Then you can have the best of both worlds.

Help me understand this.
You have (2) Company's (Martin & Gibson) with over a hundred years of experience and millions of dollars in R&D, but have not figured out that using one piece of wood to make a neck or angle of the neck correctly? WOW!
That does not make business sense. They must know something? MHO.

So you think you can sell your Gibson for the same price you bought it for new??
Keep on dreaming.

Maybe not the same price, but certainly a hell of a lot more then you would if you tried selling your partscaster, or custom by a luthier build.

Help me understand this.
You have (2) Company's (Martin & Gibson) with over a hundred years of experience and millions of dollars in R&D, but have not figured out that using one piece of wood to make a neck or angle of the neck correctly? WOW!
That does not make business sense. They must know something? MHO.

Considering the deep shit Gibson is in I'd say business sense is the one thing they're lacking. Also, don't forget that many musicians are arch conservative. Who deeply seem to believe that both Fender and Gibson got it right the first time in the 50's. And any improvement to the original design is basically heresy. So we have a very conservative customer base who doesn't want innovations, and people seem to want to buy these guitars, despite their glass jaws waiting to break. So there's not much incentive for management to change in this regard.

The car industry fought every attempt from safety groups to make cars safer tooth and nail for decades, and despite thousands of people dying every year most of the public kept buying their unsafe cars. So its not like private businesses have these amazing insights into what works and what not. In many ways they are just as clueless as everybody else, and if through sheer luck they find something that works they will keep on doing it, even when there are diminishing returns.

Longtime issue on these guitars. Not sure it has been mentioned, but I think Jimmy Page has had his #1 repaired several times on this very issue....still sounds great. It sucks, but this is what you get with Gibby.

And they're going out of business because they create too many widget guitars, charge a STOOPID amount of money for anything that a human actually has to have a look over, and general financial idiocy.

I like my Gibson guitars. There are plenty of decent late model Gibson guitars out there. You just have to be careful with them.

I like my Gibson guitars. There are plenty of decent late model Gibson guitars out there. You just have to be careful with them.
This is true, there are some absolute garbage late model Gibsons, but also some absolutely excellent ones. I have two 2007 Gibsons and a 2013. All of them play and sound outstanding.
I've also had some late model years that would be slain by a $400 Schecter.
You just need to find the right one.

I don't have confidence they will recover as a company though because their financials are too far gone, but they do still have the ability to make an amazing guitar. (whether it's worth the price they charge is an entirely different debate).

One of my favorite guitars was a mid 90s Les Paul Classic 60s. The headstock snapped like that and I had it repaired by Jim Mouradian when his shop was in Cambridge. Never had a problem with it after that.

One of my favorite guitars was a mid 90s Les Paul Classic 60s. The headstock snapped like that and I had it repaired by Jim Mouradian when his shop was in Cambridge. Never had a problem with it after that.
His son still does great work (in Winchester, MA).

Another great repair luthier in MA/NH is Chris at Black Cat Guitars. I've seen him do some amazing things to repair a guitar that I would have never thought possible.
If anyone wanted to be certain of a high quality repair....look him up and ship him your item.

It must have sucked then to have spent your hard earned cash and bought a Gibson or Marshall that was meh. Even worse when you bought both.

Suddenly Electro Harmonix doesn't look as such a bunch of amateurs after all.

Not really. The cool thing back then a lot of local/regional music stores and several had multiple Plexi's or Les Pauls. Because of this, you could see the differences in the craftsmanship and components and pick the best of the bunch. Much different than today's music stores or online shopping experience.

Back
Top Bottom