Fryette Powerstation 2 Users

neale dunham

Experienced
Anybody out there using a Fryette powerstation 2 with amp sims on?

If so, How are you connecting and setting the PS?

How does it sound compared with sims off?

Thanks

What do you mean by “amp sims”? Power Amp Modeling?

I use mine and it’s my favorite amp.

Power amp sims in the Axe Fx set to “On.” Cab sims set to “Off.”

Set the presence and depth knobs to off.

Use the effects return on the PS2 to connect to the Axe FX.

I moved the thread because it's more about the Fryette (amp) than about the III.

There are several threads already about the Power Station. You can find them by doing a search. Always wise to do that first.

For backline purposes, I get the best results with the PS.

I use the PS with Power Amp Modeling turned on, with the Axe-Fx into the Line input of the PS.
Depth and Presence at noon, switch on "Flat".

However, as described in one of those other threads, using the PS as well as the virtual resonance of the Axe-Fx, results in hyped highs and lows. Since the PS as a tube amp already handles impedance and responance, it's wise to disable High and Low Resonance in the amp model to avoid that.

Ok It makes sense to move the thread.

When you say disable high and low resonance in the amp block how are you doing that exactly ?

Are you just reducing LF and HF resonance values to zero on the speaker page or anything else?

Yes, that's the way.

It works fine, and you'll notice that the amp's bass fresponse will get tighter and that there's less feedback in the highs.

The drawback is that zero LF/HF doesn't work well if that same Amp block also send a "direct" signal to FRFR monitors of FOH.

In other words: de PS works great as long as you're only using the Axe-Fx in a backline setup.

What do you think about the Fryette Lx2?

I spoke to Dave at Fryette and he says it should be shipping this July.

I think it’s a good platform but I don’t understand why a stereo amp has only one volume control.

I am thinking of buying two Powerstation 2
This is the only way I can think of to get a true stereo sound and also run my Fender based sounds through Output 1 to my Ev12 then run Output 2 to the second PS and send my Marshall tone to my Creamback speaker?

Can’t think of a better way?

I have hands-on experience with Fryette’s shipping date announcements. Let’s just say I’m skeptical.

I think your described setup is far too complicated. But it’s your setup. If you want flexibility, go stereo FRFR.

Stealing a little bit of the thread although still in subject. Yek probably you use a ax8 live. But with the axe 3 couldn't you theoretically use 2 amps with one going into a cab SIM and FOH with the depth and presence and one with no presence and depth going to a different out into the PS2?

Stealing a little bit of the thread although still in subject. Yek probably you use a ax8 live. But with the axe 3 couldn't you theoretically use 2 amps with one going into a cab SIM and FOH with the depth and presence and one with no presence and depth going to a different out into the PS2?
Yes, but that seems like a lot of effort for negligible benefit. At some point you cross the line of diminishing returns and the more complicated your live rig the more points of failure you have.

I've done this on the Axe 3. Basically my patch had one amp set for FRFR to FOH and the other set to be used with the PS2 and a 1x12 cab. It worked pretty well. You obviously lose the extra amp block, but you can always use channels to get around that if you need to switch. It's just tedious since you have to tweak settings twice.

With the new Perform page on the Axe 3, however, you can set up your Perform for the patch or globally to make it quick to drop the Hi and Low Res parameters, which is what I did.

Back
Top Bottom