Fryette Power Station tube power amp

Yes its mono. That's what's caused me to hold off for now. However, I have always played mono there's just that what if sometimes. I suppose though I could use my little ehx 44 magnum for the right side. Afterall I run direct to FOH so my power amps are just for stage monitoring.

Even if the LXII ever comes out (ya right haha) the price they are showing for it is just too much for me to justify. I could buy a second power station for the occasionally times I run stereo and its still less $$$.

I am considering the power station though pretty heavily to replace my carvin dcm 1540L

Seems like a great product and will give me a ton of flexibility in using some of my amps not to mention the AXE-FX. I just ordered one.....

Just used it with the Axe FX today. WOW!!!!

For all you like me who prefer hooking up to a guitar cab then going full range, this power amp should not be overlooked.

My signal chain is as follows

Guitar->AxeFX II->Fryette Power Station->Splawn 2x12 with vintage 30's

I left power amp modeling on and of course turned off cab modeling.

WOW. These two sound very good together. And it is drown out drummer loud

I have tried the JCM800, the Small Box, the HBE, the Plexi, The baseman. They ALL sound phenomenal in this configuration.

And the power station is relatively light weight (like 20lbs) for a tube power amp.

Specs even say its only 15 lbs. I'm really tempted just haven't sold some other power amps to pay for it. Do you find yourself using the Depth and Presence controls?

Just used it with the Axe FX today. WOW!!!!

For all you like me who prefer hooking up to a guitar cab then going full range, this power amp should not be overlooked.

My signal chain is as follows

Guitar->AxeFX II->Fryette Power Station->Splawn 2x12 with vintage 30's

I left power amp modeling on and of course turned off cab modeling.

WOW. These two sound very good together. And it is drown out drummer loud

I have tried the JCM800, the Small Box, the HBE, the Plexi, The baseman. They ALL sound phenomenal in this configuration.

And the power station is relatively light weight (like 20lbs) for a tube power amp.

Hi, I just picked up one as well and love the form factor. The thing I found odd, was that it didn't seem to get that loud for me (even at 3:00on the volume dial)....particularly at 50w. I have power amp modelling on and cabs turned off and use mainly Vox and Fender amp blocks. I will re-test but it is good to hear that it gets loud from your experience. I also have a Fryette 2/50/2 and the one channel on that smokes the power station - volume wise.

Thanks,
D

Hi, I just picked up one as well and love the form factor. The thing I found odd, was that it didn't seem to get that loud for me (even at 3:00on the volume dial)....particularly at 50w. I have power amp modelling on and cabs turned off and use mainly Vox and Fender amp blocks. I will re-test but it is good to hear that it gets loud from your experience. I also have a Fryette 2/50/2 and the one channel on that smokes the power station - volume wise.

Thanks,
D

Really? Interesting. Don't like the sound of that. Definitely would like to know more about that. Especially compared to your 2 50 2. Did you have your axe output maxed?

Thanks,
D

You might want to contact support. That doesn't sound right.

I just tested that and I can't be in the same room with it at that setting.

Given you have a 2/50/2, I imagine your patches are setup for the proper level and you have turned the output up. I had a problem one time where my patch wouldn't get loud enough. I had the volume on the carvin way up, the output knob on the Axe FX way up, only to find the output of the patch was way down.

As a comparison for me I have my Mesa Mark V25. The power station makes it considerably louder. ( I know only 3db blah blah blah, 3db at those volumes is a big difference)

Really? Interesting. Don't like the sound of that. Definitely would like to know more about that. Especially compared to your 2 50 2. Did you have your axe output maxed?

Hi, no I didn't have the Axe maxed, it was at 11:00-12:00 , but that is the same position I use when going through Fryette 2/50/2, Mesa 2:90, Matrix GT1000FX and active CLR's. The amp volume/output is set on the patches so it is just before clipping the outs.

It could be that all my patches are typically setup for stereo and I run both L+R into all those other options whereas with the Power Station it was just the L out?

EDIT: Would it make a difference that I am going into a 2x12 cab at 16ohm vs someone else using a lower ohm cab?

Thanks,
D

Last edited:
Hi, no I didn't have the Axe maxed, it was at 11:00-12:00 , but that is the same position I use when going through Fryette 2/50/2, Mesa 2:90, Matrix GT1000FX and active CLR's. The amp volume/output is set on the patches so it is just before clipping the outs.

It could be that all my patches are typically setup for stereo and I run both L+R into all those other options whereas with the Power Station it was just the L out?

EDIT: Would it make a difference that I am going into a 2x12 cab at 16ohm vs someone else using a lower ohm cab?

Thanks,
D

Just received this response from Fryette support and will test out later.

---------------------------
Derek,

Thank you for contacting Fryette Amplification.

You might want to try using the FX Return instead of the Line In.
That will give you more volume level similar to the 2502/2902 power amps.

Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.
---------------------------

Just tried running the Axe into the FX Return (with the FX Level set to high) as opposed to the "Line In" and it makes ALL THE DIFFERENCE IN THE WORLD!!

Now crazy loud at 11:00 on the volume dial.

Thanks,
D

How many U would this take up in a Rack (with the rack kit). From the Pic, it looks like 2.5 or 3 ) - the holes seem too far from the edges to be a neat 2U.

Ive been waiting on the LX - as I really want 1U BUT ........... a new larger rack plus this and the rack kit would still be cheaper. I only need mono.

Anyone using the Freyette with a real amp as attenuator, it's loop and the axe fx for effects? When I hook up in 4CM I get a very loud squeal when I put the volume of the amp up past 2 or 4. Have checked all connections, cables etc. happens using any amp so it's not the amp.

Interestingly if u just use the axe fx for effects before the loop it's fine, or just in the loop it's fine but both together.... Also works fine with normal stomp boxes before and in the loop

Really like the power station for using axe through a cab or for with an amp as an attenuator with loop.

Just tried running the Axe into the FX Return (with the FX Level set to high) as opposed to the "Line In" and it makes ALL THE DIFFERENCE IN THE WORLD!!

Now crazy loud at 11:00 on the volume dial.

Thanks,
D

That is great info!

Thanks

TBH, I wouldn't buy direct from Fryette at this moment.

@mods: if this post violates the forum rules, feel free to delete it (it's just a warning, based on facts).

As always, thanks for the info Yek.

I bought the PS about 3 months ago and after using 7 different attenuators, this one is the best by far. But one thing I didn't like about it was that it had a low pass filter and the presence control t wasn't voiced the way I liked it. So I took it to Fryette and they modified it for me and now it's just perfect. It was missing the "air" and sparkle which I noticed right away when I first started using it. I use it all the time and it really helps with amps with low wattage which gives them some headroom to get a louder cleaner tone. The effects loop works great for plugging an eq for more flexibility.The PS is by far the best attenuator out there!

I bought the PS about 3 months ago and after using 7 different attenuators, this one is the best by far. But one thing I didn't like about it was that it had a low pass filter and the presence control t wasn't voiced the way I liked it. So I took it to Fryette and they modified it for me and now it's just perfect. It was missing the "air" and sparkle which I noticed right away when I first started using it. I use it all the time and it really helps with amps with low wattage which gives them some headroom to get a louder cleaner tone. The effects loop works great for plugging an eq for more flexibility.The PS is by far the best attenuator out there!

Hi, I have a PS and am wondering what mod you did and it possible to get the same "air and sparkle" without doing the mod? :)

Thanks,
D

Back
Top Bottom