Fryette Power Station II on the way!

Variable

Inspired
I'm pretty excited. I've been without a "loud" amp for a while, relying mostly on the Axe II with my EV ELX112P FRFR setup and a Swart Atomic Jr (which is a sweet little amp, crazy portable). I also dabbled with the EH Magnum 44 and my EarCandy Buzzbomb with Guytron speakers.

I recently moved into my first house and can finally crank up without getting the cops called, but find the Magnum just isn't cutting it; it has a weird harshness in the high-end that I can't get rid of, and some brittleness with the feel. I'm hoping the PowerStation solves those issues based on the reviews I've read so far.

Congrats, I'm enjoying the Power Station a lot.

While the Magnum is a fine pedal, especially as a backup unit, there's no comparison.

Congrats, I'm enjoying the Power Station a lot.
Hi Yek
I was just wondering how the ps2 compares to the matrix gtx1000 in regards of loudness/power/headroom
And do you switch of power amp sim in the axefx
Thanks
Dieter

Last edited:
Haven't done a one-to-one comparison. I just started to use the Power Station. It's loud enough for my purposes.
No, power amp modeling is switched on.

I'm thinking of getting this unit to use with my Axe fx and going into a 4x12 Marshall 1960bx cab. Now I use the loop of my DSL, but the loop is a little sketchy and will drop volume. Yek, are you liking the Axe-PS-cab combo in comparison to CLR?

I'm thinking of getting this unit to use with my Axe fx and going into a 4x12 Marshall 1960bx cab. Now I use the loop of my DSL, but the loop is a little sketchy and will drop volume. Yek, are you liking the Axe-PS-cab combo in comparison to CLR?

Love my CLRs at home and as stage monitors, but as a backline I've always preferred a guitar cab plus amp. Whether it's Matrix or Fryette.

If I could wean myself off using stereo I'd go for one. Trouble is I've used stereo for so long it's hard to break the habit. I only like stereo because the pitch based FX like pitch changers and chorus/flanger sound so much better ..... delays live I'm not worried about being mono though obviously they have to be stereo if theres a stereo FX in front of them.

Two Fryettes then? (don't think so!!)

I'm pretty excited. I've been without a "loud" amp for a while, relying mostly on the Axe II with my EV ELX112P FRFR setup and a Swart Atomic Jr (which is a sweet little amp, crazy portable). I also dabbled with the EH Magnum 44 and my EarCandy Buzzbomb with Guytron speakers.

I recently moved into my first house and can finally crank up without getting the cops called, but find the Magnum just isn't cutting it; it has a weird harshness in the high-end that I can't get rid of, and some brittleness with the feel. I'm hoping the PowerStation solves those issues based on the reviews I've read so far.

Be sure to update your thread when you get some time with it. I've been holding off on getting one. I'm definitely changing my power amp direction though. (Carvin/EHX). I think I need some tubes for the cabs.

@yek What's it like to transport around? I see the weight and dimensions as stated in the spec .... but in real world use have you come up with some sort of travel protection solution idea? Padded bag? Feasible to adapt it for rack mounting? Use the box it came in? :)

Well, the size and weight are not its best features. Its weight is considerable. There is a rack mount set available. But I don't want to add a 2u device to my rack case. I put it all in my Pelican case.

Be sure to update your thread when you get some time with it. I've been holding off on getting one. I'm definitely changing my power amp direction though. (Carvin/EHX). I think I need some tubes for the cabs.

Definitely. UPS says it should arrive on Monday. And one of the main reasons I'm looking at tube and not a Matrix poweramp (even though I love the portability) is the cab<->power amp interaction you don't get with SS. I'd rather not have to mess around with the Speaker page trying to divine my cabinet's resonant frequency (and believe me, I've tried).

PSII arrived today and I got a couple of hours with it. Not sure if it's supposed to sound this way, but there is a fairly pronounced glassiness that I can't seem to dial out. Volume wise it's crazy loud, so I suspect it's working okay, but I almost wish I could go to negative values with the Presence knob. The closest thing I can compare to is the Fryette Pitbull series of amps; they seem to have this same feel and hi-fi quality they impart on the tone.

It certainly sounds better than my Magnum 44, but I wasn't really expecting it to be this bright. Running with the settings Yek recommended.

Ar first I found the PS to be bright as well, at low level at home. That was with flat settings.
But it sounds great at regular level (rehearsal, gig).
Not glassy at all.

Correct impedance?

Its no brighter than a real amp IMO. I ran my Fender MAchete through it bypasses, then in line and matched the tone using the toggles (actually flat) and bass/presence (around 10 o'clock for this amp). The difference between the two was negligible. I then tone matched the amp in the AFX - again a slight difference but not a lot. I then compared my tone matched patch with my regular patches - no difference in the high end response in general (obviously some patches are tuned brighter than others).

That would indicate to me, that the PS isnt intrinsically bright. Its actually very neutral.

Ar first I found the PS to be bright as well, at low level at home. That was with flat settings.
But it sounds great at regular level (rehearsal, gig).
Not glassy at all.

Correct impedance?

Yep. It's a 16Ohm Earcandy Buzzbomb 2x12 with Guytron Bigtone 55 speakers. What volume level is "low level" in your case? I was experiencing this between 1/4 and 1/3 on the volume, which was crazy loud, though my basement has a low ceiling that can contribute to to things sounding louder than they actually are.

Nice cabinet!

No, I meant real real low volume.

All of the positive reviews have me very interested in taking the plunge. Home use where volume often needs to be tempered is an important consideration for me. My experience with tube power sections is that they need some volume or sound thin and sizzly. Would the PowerStation also fall into this category, or does it sound full (within reason) at it's lowest levels? Would a Matrix GT1000 be any better or worse for this type of use?

Thx

Its purpose is to sound great at low levels and it does.

Back
Top Bottom