Fryette LXII

I broke down and purchased an LXII and finally got around to setting it up. First impression, "WOW". It made my Axe FX III just come to life! It is a very neutral amp unless you switch on the Presence and Depth, but it is so much more dynamic than my Matrix. The Matrix is a great amp, don't get me wrong. It just wasn't for me and I will be keeping it as a backup. I even liked using the depth and presence controls in some instances. I am loving this amp so far and could not be happier. As of now I have it hooked in mono to a 2x12 Mesa Cab with Vintage 30's. I am tempted to pick up another 2x12 and run it in stereo.

Some critiques / notes:
  • My depth control light stayed dimly lit even with the depth control off, but went away after a while after it warmed up. Not sure if this is normal.
  • I honestly did not notice the fan at all until I started to power things down. I have it in a rack, so the noise may be mitigated.
  • It is quite a bit heavier than my Matrix and in fact, I didn't realize how light and compact my Matrix was until I swapped it out for the LXII
  • I wish the depth and presence controls were accessible on the front panel instead of on top of the unit where I would have to keep pulling it out and adjusting it.
  • I wish the front plate was black (nit picking).
In all, it's an amazing amp and I honestly can't see myself going back to a SS amp. Of course, I don't carry my rig around so I may change my mind if that starts to occur :).

I would be very interested to hear more user experiences of the LXii? Even a decent video with a few AFX amp presets would be great.
The fan noise is interesting as for some it seems to be a problem and for others less so. I had a power station with the AFX2 and honestly it was the best dynamic sound I had. The fan on that wasn’t an issue. I since went the SS route and haven't been as happy.

Last edited:
I would be very interested to hear more user experiences of the LXii? Even a decent video with a few AFX amp presets would be great.
The fan noise is interesting as for some it seems to be a problem and for others less so. I had a power station with the AFX2 and honestly it was the best dynamic sound I had. The fan on that wasn’t an issue. I since went a SS route with the AFX3 and haven’t been as happy.
You'll hate me for saying this, but...soon.

So it's been a couple of months since I've played through my LX II (damn 'rona...), but I can give some relevant feedback. I got mine back in January after they just came out, and I haven't noticed the fan at all when playing at normal "playing with other musicians in the room" volume.

I could see the fan being an issue if you're playing at quiet (like it's after midnight and the wife is sleeping) bedroom levels, but I can't see why one wouldn't just play through monitors or headphones at that point anyways. I'm no white knight, but it isn't realistic to expect silence from a tube amp in a rack profile. I work in AV and would say that fan noise is to be expected with any rack system, and is a sign that the components are doing their job by keeping everything cool.

I may order some humbuster cables because hum has definitely been an issue for me, as someone else also noted earlier in the thread. I'm almost positive the power at our practice space is dirty, but even with a Ebtech Hum X Filter and a Furman M-8LX it still persists, and I'm the only one with this issue in our practice space. IIRC the ground hum was only when I had the Axe Fx III plugged in and the amp was in single channel mode (A or B), so I'll need to do more testing to be sure. Hopefully humbuster cables will help, but I'm not sure where the problem lies yet, could be an input jack grounding issue. I may find an amp tech to give the LX II a once over to make sure nothing is wrong internally (it was a BAD ground hum lol), but other than that I've had no issues, and have been quite happy with the tone. I believe the 6L6GC power tubes are what helps it keep a flat tone (think Fender-esque clean without the eq curve).

Last edited:
I'm really curious to see if anyone who got the LXII and also owns a PS2 notices a big difference. I'm eyeing the LXII for the increased headroom in bridged mode and to run in stereo.

Hi guys! New to the forum here. I have had the Axe III for about six months now and just got the LXII + Cab setup. I'll leave some comments on my experience so far and wanted to ask you guys for some advice.

1. First, some background

Before getting the Axe, I have been using modeling for a long time, since I am only a hobbyist who plays and records at home and I currently don’t gig at all. Problem with modelers was that albeit for recording I found them perfect (way better than the hassle of mics and cabs), I did not really like them for just playing. With time, it kind of took the joy out of playing altogether and I found out that, unless I wanted to record something, I wouldn’t just pick up my guitars and play anymore.

I wanted to change that and was divided between getting a low wattage amp, or give modelers one more go by getting a really good one. I chose the latter and bought the Axe III. I heard the difference in sound and feel right away, but was still not where I wanted. Next thing, I changed my studio monitors to see how much that could improve sound. Bought a couple of Yamahas HS8s and got better results for sure, but still was not there yet.

I figured that I was probably one of those guys that were missing the “amp in the room”. Thus, I decided to go for the Axe III + power amp + cab route. I figured that although going through only one particular cab would limit my sound in some ways, it could be just what I was missing to get the sound I wanted while just playing. Plus, I wouldn’t have to go through endless lists of IRs anymore (except for recording, which I still would keep Axe directly to DAW via USB), which I find to be a pain.

2. LXII setup

Long story short, I bought a Marshall 1936V Cab (2X12 Celestion Vintage 30 tuned for Marshall) and the Fryette LXII (after days of indecision between the Matrix 1000 or just getting two Power Stations 2) and connected my Axe III to them.

3. The best part

I have never been happier with my sound (tone and especially feel) in my life. It really was what I was missing for just playing. Now whenever I pick up a guitar I do not want to stop. And I am sure there is still a lot of tweaking to be done in the Axe to make it sound even better with this setup.

I don’t know if it is the cab, the amp, or both that made it sound that good. I did not have the chance to A/B this setup with any other (such as a SS amp with a cab, different cabs, passive FRFR with an amp), so I am not really qualified to tell the difference. I can just tell you that this setup is amazing and it beats everything that I have tried so far (even tube amps that I played in the past and still play nowadays at friends’ places, due to the better control and flexibility I can get with this setup compared to those amps).

I am more of a clean sounds, edge of breakup and classic hard rock guy. I like clean sounds, I like tube distortion and I especially like when I can get in between and have amazing dynamic response depending on how hard I pick. And for that, I just loved how this setup responds.

4. What I might change

4.1. I went with a 2x12 cab to try to get some stereo imaging, although I knew it would be minimum due to speaker proximity. And it is. So, maybe 2 1x12 cabs a little more apart from each other could have been a better route compared to the 2X12. Again, I have not A/Bd this setup so I cannot tell for sure. The 2 1x12 setup may have disadvantages over mine which I am not aware of.

4.2. Since stereo imaging is not really great on this setup and since I don’t need that much power at home, I wonder if I would be just as satisfied with a Powerstation 2 setup. It would be cheaper, may be just as effective as the LXII, and the PS2 offers a lot of functions that the LXII does not have. Also, the PS2 has reachable presence and depth controls, which the LXII does not (the internal controls are kind of ridiculous). Maybe even a set of 2 PS2s for stereo would be interesting. Again, never A/Bd with a PS2, so I cannot know for sure.

5. What is bothering me

5.1. Fan noise
. Well, this has already been covered here, so I won’t get into too much detail. Suffice to say that fan noise is there and it can be a bit of a pain especially for playing at home. It bugs me to think that if the LXII was a 2U amp, this would be less of an issue. I would be ok with 2U or even 4U if the fan noise was reduced to a minimum. Heck, I may even try to mod it that way some day. I wonder if the PS2 has the same fan noise issue. If it doesn’t, this would also be plus for the 2 PS2s setup.

5.2. Hum. Now, I may be spoiled since for a long time I have been using modelers connected to active monitors and no hum at all comes from a setup like that. My LXII setup, on the other hand, has a LOT of hum. It is still playable and I can live with it, but I would really like it to go away, or at least reduce it.

I have isolated where the hum is coming from. If the LXII is connected to the cab, but nothing is connected to the LXII’s inputs, there is no hum at all. As soon as I connect the Axe III to the LXII’s inputs, I get a humfest. This also happens when I connect other devices to the LXII's inputs (such as the line outs from my Focusrite Scarlet). Thus, I figured it is probably ground loop hum. I bought humbuster cables to connect the Axe to the LXII, but the improvement was minimal.

I am kind of stuck and don’t really know what to do to reduce hum. It may be the case that this amount of hum is simply normal and, if so, I kindly ask you guys using the LXII to share your (hum) experience.

If yours is silent, I need to figure out how to silence mine. I just hope there is nothing wrong with the unit itself. I am from Brazil and bought this while I was in the US. I simply cannot return it and try another one to see if the problem goes away.

If anybody has any ideas, they are more than welcome. Sorry for the long post and, if you feel that I am hijacking this thread with my hum issue, please let me know and I will start a new one.
what are the basic setting do you make in the Axe Fx when using the LXII? (cab sim off, power amp sag,...).
sorry no answers for your hum problem...I'm on the market for a power amp/real cab setup for the same reasons.

I have a PS-100 as well as an LX II. I use the PS-100 mainly as an attenuator with my valve amps and it is fantastic in that application. The ability to utilise the Axe FX into the effects loop of the PS-100 is a great idea because it avoids the tone deterioration that often comes from using the effects loop of my amps and time based effects in particular sound a lot clearer being positioned after the output from the amp as opposed to in its own effects loop. It also has the side benefit of making it very easy to switch amp heads. It makes using my amps seem very similar to using the Axe FX where I just plug in a different head much like changing the amp block in the Axe FX. You can also use it as a line level amp, but I haven’t tried using the unit to amplify my Axe FX so cannot compare it to the LX II in that respect but I can’t imagine it not sounding very good. The fan noise is no problem at all, partly because it can utilise a bigger, slower fan due to the increased height of the casing.

I use the LX II to amplify my Axe FX and it is the best that I have found in that capacity. I do have problems with my fan which becomes very noisy after about an hours use, but I have found similar things with other devices in the past. With my Axe FX’s, of which I have had 6 over the last 13 years, most were great but I had 2 where the fans were noisy and I replaced them - G66 can supply a silent fan which works a treat. I also have a Mesa MK V and a TC-100 which both use exactly the same fan. You cannot hear the fan on the MK V whilst the TC-100 has the worst fan noise I have ever encountered. I got it checked out and the bearings were faulty so just replaced the fan - these things can happen. Anyway, I contacted Fryette support about the fan in the LX II in the end and I have to say that their technical support has been excellent. They have apparently been able to improve the consistency of the fan as well as the control of the fan speed and a new fan is on its way to me and expected to arrive this week.

Clearly, the two units have been designed for specific applications but they do overlap. If you run an Axe and speaker rig and also use real amps, the PS-100 is a no brainer. I keep my two rigs separate but if I had everything in one place, then I would probably just keep the PS-100, albeit that it is mono only.

what are the basic setting do you make in the Axe Fx when using the LXII? (cab sim off, power amp sag,...).
sorry no answers for your hum problem...I'm on the market for a power amp/real cab setup for the same reasons.

I have managed to solve the hum problem with an Ebtech hum eliminator. Humbuster cables didn’t do it but the Ebtech did it. Pristine clear sound after I’ve put it on the loop. Regarding fan noise, it’s still there of course, but I can live with it.

As far as the settings on the Axe, cab sim is always off whenever running it through a cab. If you leave it on it will just mess up your sound and throw a “blanket” over it. Of course there are no rules and you could still dial something nice with the cabsim on and a particular cab, but I guess you’d probably just be compensating the cabsim through eq to get that decent sound. Just forget about the cabsim when you are running the axe through the amp and a cabinet.You could build different paths on your presets, one using the cabsim and other without, each routed through different outputs (the one with cabsim would be your studio monitors outputs and the one without it the output in which your amp is plugged into). Of course, this will only work if the cabsim is your last block, but then again that’s the whole logic when you are working with a real cab...

As far as other settings go, I change it to Solidstate Amp + Cabinet instead of FRFR. The rest of the amp settings I just mess with till I get what I want. I’m sure there are more knowledgeable people than me here that will tell you how to adjust more properly for the cab you are using (regarding cabinet resonance and speaker impedance in the amp page).

Just adding to the others. A hum eliminator (ebtech now morley) 100% eliminates the hum. They don't make the Ebtech branded one anymore that has 4 quarter inch jacks on it. They make the Morley version now that has XLR and 1/4 jacks and a different jack location format. Annoying, but true. FYI, any time you introduce a digital piece of gear, outputting into an analog (tube amp), you're very likely to get hum...or buzz. It can happen, and has...with many modelers/tube amp set ups. That's a known common result. Iso boxes (ebtech/morley/radial) in between are always a good idea. Some pros have multiple hum/iso boxes hidden under their pedalboards or in their racks to solve this issue. Just know it's common. I too struggle with the loud fan. I know it's expected due to cramming 4 6L6s/100 watts into a single rack space. Is what it is. The single space Matrix is also a louder fan than the 2U version. Known fact. For the guy that said something about making this a 2 space LXII. Fryette already offers a 2 space tube power amp. It's amazing and slightly quieter. For the guy that mentioned the dim green light on the depth control. I've noticed that only exists when the LXII is in standby. I'm sure it's by design and nothing to worry about. :)

Last edited:
Just adding to the others. A hum eliminator (ebtech now morley) 100% eliminates the hum. They don't make the Ebtech branded one anymore that has 4 quarter inch jacks on it. They make the Morley version now that has XLR and 1/4 jacks and a different jack location format. Annoying, but true. FYI, any time you introduce a digital piece of gear, outputting into an analog (tube amp), you're very likely to get hum...or buzz. It can happen, and has...with many modelers/tube amp set ups. That's a known common result. Iso boxes (ebtech/morley/radial) in between are always a good idea. Some pros have multiple hum/iso boxes hidden under their pedalboards or in their racks to solve this issue. Just know it's common. I too struggle with the loud fan. I know it's expected due to cramming 4 EL34s/100 watts into a single rack space. Is what it is. The single space Matrix is also a louder fan than the 2U version. Known fact. For the guy that said something about making this a 2 space LXII. Fryette already offers a 2 space tube power amp. It's amazing and slightly quieter. For the guy that mentioned the dim green light on the depth control. I've noticed that only exists when the LXII is in standby. I'm sure it's by design and nothing to worry about. :)
I imagine you meant 4 6L6's in the LXII?

I eventually got annoyed with having all the extra cabling for the signal hum eliminator, so I purchased one of the Hum X plugs that go on the power side. It advises not to use it on power amps, so it is on the power side of my Axe III. Less cabling and space to deal with overall.

Strangely, I did still have hum issues when running a DI line to the board at a gig recently, but I'm guessing I was encountering some ground loop between the mixer and the rest of my rig. It was a rushed setup (the guy who brought the PA borrowed it, and I had to help get it running), so I didn't try to troubleshoot it.

Just got a LXII and running through a pair of Mesa 1x12 wide body closed cabs. All things being equal, I’m not feeling the LXII coming alive until the volume knob is around 2pm. Have been using a pair of PowerStage 200s and have not changed any of my fm3 or AxeFx III presets. Seems a lot louder with the Seymour Duncan’s with their volume at about 10pm. My gut instinct says there’s an issue with the LXII…would expect a lot more volume for a 50W tube power amp. Thoughts?

Just got a LXII and running through a pair of Mesa 1x12 wide body closed cabs. All things being equal, I’m not feeling the LXII coming alive until the volume knob is around 2pm. Have been using a pair of PowerStage 200s and have not changed any of my fm3 or AxeFx III presets. Seems a lot louder with the Seymour Duncan’s with their volume at about 10pm. My gut instinct says there’s an issue with the LXII…would expect a lot more volume for a 50W tube power amp. Thoughts?
depends on how strong a signal is going into it. I have my Matrix GT1000FX knobs set to 2pm (sweet-spot according to folklore) but playing at quiet levels (75-80db) with input signal very low. If I crank the input level from Axefx/A.I., I'll likely blow out the windows.

I could see a pair of 200s putting out some serious volume collectively, requiring higher LXII levels (though it does seem slightly disproportionate). I regularly set my LXII volume to about 3pm, and the Out 1 level anywhere between noon to 3pm. This is with the outputs set to -10db. That's personally enough stage volume to me, but its not crushing by any means. Comparatively, I'll usually set my single Powerstage 170 to about 1-2pm for roughly the same volume (though not running in stereo). Don't know if that's helpful, just confirming that there is a difference volume wise (and soundwise) between the SD and Fryette.

I could see a pair of 200s putting out some serious volume collectively, requiring higher LXII levels (though it does seem slightly disproportionate). I regularly set my LXII volume to about 3pm, and the Out 1 level anywhere between noon to 3pm. This is with the outputs set to -10db. That's personally enough stage volume to me, but its not crushing by any means. Comparatively, I'll usually set my single Powerstage 170 to about 1-2pm for roughly the same volume (though not running in stereo). Don't know if that's helpful, just confirming that there is a difference volume wise (and soundwise) between the SD and Fryette.
Helpful, thank you. What is your use case scenarios warranting keeping the Fryette and SD?

Sometimes if I’m traveling light but still want a real cab I’ll bring the SD and a 1x12 with an EV 12L. If there’s some room in stage for me to get 5-6 feet away from the amp I prefer the Fryette along with a 2x12 wired in stereo with a speaker mix. And then to complicate it more, I’ll just use an RCF monitor if there isn’t room on stage and it’s better to have a personal monitor rather than stage volume. I did one of each this past weekend.

I owned a Power Station 2, have a Seymour Duncan PS 170 and now a LXII. I did some comparison shootouts between the PS2 and PS170 when I owned them both, and the difference really was not that staggering to me. Especially as the PS-2 costs waaaaay more than the PS170. I just A/B'd the PS 170 against the LXII, and I am blown away. To my ears the LXII sounds way better. In a mix? I don't know. I bought the LXII to use with my AXE FX3 - which I haven't tried yet, only with my FM9. When I first hooked it up, I have a bad ground loop through my FM9, which I did not have with my PS170. I was going to try a humbuster cable, but I used a different patch cable on the output of the FM9 (#3) to the amp and the buzz was gone, so it looks like I had a bad patch cable. Yes, the fan is loud, but as others have pointed out, you cannot hear it when play at anything above "quiet time" practice. It is way heavier, larger, and more expensive than the PS170, but damn it really shines when connected to the Fractal products. I do not have the power amp settings disabled with either the PS170 or the LXII btw. It simply sounds awesome through my VHT loaded with two V30s and two Eminence DD-77s.

I just got an LXII and set it up. I have noticed running my syn 2 through it created more hum than when I was running my Friedman head through the syn 2. Was wondering how I could get rid of this extra hum as it's really annoying for home use. I would also say the fan noise for home use is loud when playing on a clean channel. When on a distortion channel I don't really hear it while playing. But when playing on a clean channel at normal volume it's loud that fan.

I have the volume on the LXII at around 2 o clock. I have the channel volumes on both modules pretty high and I use the syn 2 master volume to bring it down. I'm actually surprised I could turn the LXII all the way to 2 without it being deafening loud. I was lucky on the Friedman to even break the volume knob on 3.

Back
Top Bottom