Fryette LXII

I'm currently using the PS (v1) with the Axe Fx II and a 212 cab. I noticed that I have to use a PEQ/Filter block before the FXL output to balance the direct out (SPDIF) tonally. Any tips and experiences on this?

BTW, only difference between PS II and I is the balanced line in/out right? Not using the reactive load now

I haven't used SPDIF or compared OUT2 to SPDIF. But there should be no noticable tonal difference.

Difference between PS v1 and v2 also is the low-pass filter.

I haven't used SPDIF or compared OUT2 to SPDIF. But there should be no noticable tonal difference.

Difference between PS v1 and v2 also is the low-pass filter.

Understood! I meant the difference between the Cab/IR path and the FXL to the PS to the 212 external cab. There’s a difference in sound/brightness there for me. I have to set the presence of the PS to min and deep to max and use a LPF peq or filter block to lower the brightness.

Understood! I meant the difference between the Cab/IR path and the FXL to the PS to the 212 external cab. There’s a difference in sound/brightness there for me. I have to set the presence of the PS to min and deep to max and use a LPF peq or filter block to lower the brightness.

Difference between IR and PS/2x12 is understandable. Depends on the IR you’ve selected and the fact that the IR is close-mic’d.

Also, when using the PS my recommendation is to neutralize the Low and High Resonance settings in the amp block. The PS as a tube amp already takes care of that, so there’s no need for virtual impedance/resonance settings.

The PS should be set flat, with Presence and Depth at zero, for neutral translation of the amp modeling.

isn't the synergy 50/50 basically the LXII ? without the flat/enhanced switch (or whatever he called it way back when)?

The LXII probably feels/sounds close to the Power Station, which is my favorite power amp solution for a traditional cabinet, but has some compatibility issues. But yeah, 10.x is closing the gap. And 1400 USD for a power amp ... ouch.

The rear pic shows a single mains voltage type - 117V ...... so I wonder is it viable to have a 230/240 V transformer in there without melting something?

It's probably a pic of a prototype model that was used for demos at amp shows in the US but still, I'd have preferred to see it loaded/tested with a switching voltage type transformer from the start.

So far the spec on the website does not list the accepted voltages.

Thanks for posting. Looking forward to this. I do like my Accugrove FRFR cabs but there is something awesome about my old Marshall 4X10 cab I wired for stereo. This will work great with that.

no more "Flat/enhanced mode" ?

It says right there on the web page:

"The LX II’s “Linear” mode provides a full-range, flat-response signal from your amp to your speaker cabinet, while the “Enhanced” mode brings the color and life to your tone that you would expect from a Fryette power amp."

My guess is that disabling Presence and Depth is "Linear". More or less like on the Power Station.
Best to ask Fryette Support.

It says right there on the web page:

"The LX II’s “Linear” mode provides a full-range, flat-response signal from your amp to your speaker cabinet, while the “Enhanced” mode brings the color and life to your tone that you would expect from a Fryette power amp."

A quick piece of trivia is that Keith Howland from Chicago uses a Fryette 2/90/2 power amp to push his Eggnator to stage volume. I think he gets awesome sound
Keith Howland Live in Milwaukee 5/12/17

And proof of life on the LXII arrivals -I pick mine up tomorrow and Steve has practically had to beat me with a stick to keep me out of his shop the past two days while he does the last finishing QC touches.
LXII Proof of Life

Not sure folks are surprised at the price? The 2/50/2 Fryette that a lot of people already use is in the same ballpark.

Not sure folks are surprised at the price? The 2/50/2 Fryette that a lot of people already use is in the same ballpark.
The LXII has a linear mode that makes it more suitable than the 2/50/2 for modeling preamps like the Axe Fx, Kemper Profiler, and Helix. There are 6L6 tubes in the LXII vs EL34 tubes in the 2/50/2. They're both good, just different. Technically, the 2/50/2 would work, but you'd probably end up compensating for the amp coloration on some of your Axe Fx presets.

Back
Top Bottom