Fryette LXII

There is a hum issue that can be remedied by either the Morley/Ebtech line level device, or the hum eliminator that sits directly between the electrical outlet and LXII. I noticed in a semi-recent rig diagram for Steve Vai that he has to do the same with his LXII units.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MHumX--morley-hum-exterminator-ground-loop-hum-exterminator

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/HumElim--morley-mhe-2-channel-stereo-hum-eliminator

Do you have a link to that rig diagram for Steve Vai's set up? Do both of these do the same thing? I have my syn and LXII running into my Forman power conditioner. So for that outlet one would I connect to the power cable that's in the outlet the Furman is connected to? How does the other one connect?

Also, I don't have any hum on my clean channels. It's only on my distortion channels.

Last edited:
It took me forever to find it again but its in a rig rundown-type video about 11 minutes in. With the HumX, you would plug the Humx into your furman and the LXII into the HumX. That's all. But given that you're only hearing it on gained up channels, it doesn't sound like the same issue I have, which is apparent the moment any audio connection is made between the Fractal and LXII

It took me forever to find it again but its in a rig rundown-type video about 11 minutes in. With the HumX, you would plug the Humx into your furman and the LXII into the HumX. That's all. But given that you're only hearing it on gained up channels, it doesn't sound like the same issue I have, which is apparent the moment any audio connection is made between the Fractal and LXII

Ah. I thought maybe the hum x goes to the wall outlet the Furman is in. So the hum x goes into the furman outlet on the back that I plugged the LX II in.

But yes maybe then I have a different problem than you since I have the hum only the gained up channels.

I don't really get why he has 2 syn 2 racks with the same modules. It looks like one is run through his 4x12 cabinets and the other gets run to the monitors in front of him. But how does he play both simultaneously to use the monitors in the front as replacements for IEMs.

At the end they have a sheet that shows source and destination of each thing. Looks like there is a hum eliminator on the syn 50 and the fryette power amp.

Last edited:
Seems my noise is not hum related to electricity or anything like that. It seems to be the hum inherent in preamp of the 2 modules. I am wondering does that mean only a noise gate would solve the issue? Does the FM9 or any fractal have noise gates that DO NOT effect the tone? Every noise gate I know of colors the tone in some way.

I got impatient waiting for feedback on this post, so I recently got an LXII to try out. I’ve had it for a week so far and am very impressed. It seems to be the missing bit of the chain that I have been looking for and could possibly lead to me finally selling my amps. Together with the Axe III, it really does sound and feel like playing a conventional amp through a cab and is well worth trying out if that is what you are looking for. It’s even surprisingly good at relatively low volume levels so you could definitely use it at home, although it does of course sound better as you turn it up.

I’ve been an Axe FX user for over 12 years and have owned the Ultra, II, II XL and III. We all know how the product has evolved and just got better over time but some of us - apparently a very small, picky minority - have not been able to completely satisfy the tube amp itch. I used my tube amps with my Axe FX initially and then I got a Matrix GT 1000fx power amp 7-8 years ago which was all the buzz on here at the time. It is very good at what it does and very transparent, but I just felt that I lost something in the feel and tactile response that you get from a real amp and cab and the sound just fell slightly short. So, for quite a while, I used a Retro Channel power amp which is not as transparent as the Matrix, but did provide more of the amp like feel.

The realism of the Axe III models now coupled with the easy manner of setting the speaker impedance curves - an important part of the equation - is a big move forwards and this led to me trying out a few more amp models than my usual go to choices. The Retro was colouring the amps too much and so I dug out the Matrix again and tried it with the Axe III for the first time and found that I preferred the transparency of the Matrix now over the feel of the Retro which was dulling over the differences between the amp models too much by comparison. Things were getting very close now and that lead to me trying the Fryette LX II and I have been A/B’ing it against my amps and I’m honestly now thinking that I prefer the Axe models to the real thing due to the ability to tweak the tone out to a greater degree of satisfaction.

I have 3 Zilla 2x12 cabs with different speakers, a Marshall 1960A 4x12 and a Two Rock 2x12. My amps are:

Marshall JCM 601, YJM 100 and JVM 410 H
Mesa MKV and Express
Two Rock 10th Anniversary

So far, I’ve been able to nail or surpass my Marshall tones and the Mesa’s but not quite yet the MKV clean or the Two Rock, but I’ve only just got round to those recently. I’m pretty sure that I can get the MKV cleans, but the Two Rock is quite a special amp and very transparent and complex - which is why I’ve left it until last.

I know that amp and cab guys are very much in the minority on here, but if you do fall into that category, the LXII could be worth checking out. I have absolutely no connection with Fryette and, in fact, given how long ago the product was initially announced, I didn’t have very high hopes. The only reason I have posted is because my interest was piqued by this thread, and then there has been only silence - so I thought I’d check it out myself, which is the only way to be sure anyway. The LXII is a solid and well built unit and runs surprisingly very cool to the touch. My only gripe so far has been that, after an hour or so of use, the fan noise can be quite loud and irritating high pitched whine, but we suspect that I may have a faulty sensor/fan and the dealer is waiting on feedback from Fryette on that point. It is no problem at all at practice or gig levels, but if you manipulate the Axe on the fly from the front panel as I do or want to use it at home, then this could be slightly irritating.

Apologies that my post turned out to be quite so lengthy!!
Will the LX2 power 2 4x12 wel, and be loud enough for live metal?

Back
Top Bottom