Frustrating connection issue

azbce

Hi all,

I got myself a new laptop the other day, equipped with Windows 10 Pro, and over the past few days I've put the last version of Axe-edit and Fractal Bot on it along with all the required/latest drivers etc.
At first, everything worked fine.

Today when I fired up the lappy and started Axe Edit... it wouldn't connect to the Axe-Fx II. Tried a few of the other usb ports... nothing. Plugged it into the PC that I usually use, and it connects and recognizes it fine. Back to the laptop and... nothing. So I went through the process of reinstalling drivers etc, but nothing seems to work. The only thing that I can think of that has changed in the last day or two, is that the laptop has been downloading and applying some Windows updates when I've gone to turn it on or off.

I feel like this is something small and stupid... but I can't for the life of me figure it out. Any help would be appreciated!

Cheers.

OP, you may want to go into your computer's device manager, usb ports, and simply disable some or all, then shutdown and restart the computer. This worked for me about a week ago with a similar issue to yours. Good luck.

The Chrome USB MIDI thing affects the AX8 because it uses USB 1.1. The 2.0 interface of the Axe II should not have the same problem. What kind of PC is it? You can check for BIOS and driver updates from the manufacturer.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

The USB ports all seem to be working fine. No luck using the USB 2.0 port either unfortunately. The laptop (Aspire 5830TG) must detect the axe fx, as when I open the FASUSB Audio Control Panel the Axe Fx II is there, and when I disconnect the usb it disappears. So why Axe Edit and Fractal Bot don't recognize it is beyone me.

I don't have Chrome on this laptop yet either so that can't have anything to do with it.

Nothing to really add, but I have a very similar issue with a different modeller that I use as an interface. I have to make sure its on before i turn my computer on, and even then sometimes it won't work. It'll recognize it in my daw, but input/output options are not there. I have to restart my computer, sometimes twice.

This is also on Windows 10.

I've been experiencing a pretty frustrating issue since I downloaded 5.03 as well. Most of the time when I open Axe-edit the connection will time out and I get an error telling me that it can not read cab names. Even when I pause the connection and reconnect it doesnt always work, the only thing that seems to help is starting Axe-Edit before turning on the unit.

Maybe open up Axe-edit first then powering the unit on.

I've been experiencing a pretty frustrating issue since I downloaded 5.03 as well. Most of the time when I open Axe-edit the connection will time out and I get an error telling me that it can not read cab names. Even when I pause the connection and reconnect it doesnt always work, the only thing that seems to help is starting Axe-Edit before turning on the unit.

Have you tried a different USB cable, all connection issues I've had are because of dodgy cables. USB and Ethernet with the MFC.

Have you tried a different USB cable, all connection issues I've had are because of dodgy cables. USB and Ethernet with the MFC.

I have not, I'll give that a try.

Ive been using the same one for quite a while, might be time for an upgrade to a USB 3.0 cable anyway.

I only have the one usb cable at the moment so I can't try another one. That being said, that same cable works fine on my pc when connecting the axe-fx so I presume that's not the issue.

Gave that a try, thanks, but still no luck.

Ok, success, finally!! It turns out it was a driver issue. That explains why Fractal Bot wasn't connecting either. I had installed the latest drivers, automatically via the installer, but they just weren't installing properly. I had to go directly through the device manager and manually select the driver folder to locate and install the driver. I'm still not sure why this happened, but at least it's now resolved. Thanks for all the help anyway guys. :D

How did you find out the drivers weren't installing properly?

I went into Device Manager, then where the Axe FX was listed there was a yellow exclamation mark next to it. Right clicking on it and checking the properties it stated that the correct drivers were not installed.

Reactions: Rex
Back
Top Bottom