Frustrated with FASLINK - Help!

deakle

Experienced
I have an Axe FX XL 2 and am using an MFC 101 Mark III with it but I am having an issue with FASLINK. Several of the factory presets have no output on Scene 1 but are ok on Scenes 2, 3 and 4. I disconnect the MFC and everything is fine. I thought that I had a bad XLR cable so I purchased a brand new XLR/FASLINK cable from BSTPA. I received the new cable today, hooked it up and.....same issue. I have the settings for the MFC and the Axe set correctly. Does anyone have any ideas? I have not tried connecting via ethercon yet, is that just a CAT5 connection? I am also contacting Support. Any help/suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

No output on scene one sounds like an issue with a CC value being sent. Or a default CC value for an external controller that's missing. I'd start there.

No output on scene one sounds like an issue with a CC value being sent. Or a default CC value for an external controller that's missing. I'd start there.
I wiped all the factory presets and reloaded from the Fractal site in case there was some issue such as that, would wiping/reloading the presets take care of that? Also, I just tried connecting via ethercon and I get the Axe Timeout error even though the MFC is set to "Expansion" and the Axe is set to "Ethercon". Connecting back with the XLR via FASLINK, I also notice that the preset number on the MFC differs from the preset number on the Axe by +1, if that helps? I am terribly confused.

The CC value would be coming from the MFC, not the Axe. As far as the preset numbers not matching:
Display Offset causes Axe-Fx II presets to appear to be numbered from 001 instead of from 000. The offset does not change which preset is recalled by a given
Program Change message. Note: Display Offset requires a corresponding setting in a connected MFC-101 MIDI Foot Controller.

Look at the MFC side of the equation. The CC would be coming from there. Do a factory reset on the MFC too?

The off-by-one is just a setting in the MFC to fix.

FASLINK should be a no-brainer.. it's just an XLR cable.
Set it up on both ends and Voila!
Which version of the XL firmware are you running?

FASLINK should be a no-brainer.. it's just an XLR cable.
Set it up on both ends and Voila!
Which version of the XL firmware are you running?
I am running Quantum 8.02. I agree that FASLINK should be a no brainer, and the setup is easy. However, this issue keeps arising.

Look at the MFC side of the equation. The CC would be coming from there. Do a factory reset on the MFC too?

The off-by-one is just a setting in the MFC to fix.
So I did a factory reset on the MFC and now I get the AXE FX NAME TIMEOUT ERROR message even though my MIDI port is set to FASLINK on the MFC and Axe. What could be wrong?

So just to confirm - you changed Port type to FASLINK in MFC - and then restarted the AxeFX with the XLR cable to the MFC in place and you get the timeout message in the MFC?

When you get the timeout message on the MFC is the Port type still at the correct one you changed to earlier?

Is there any chance you might have mistakenly tried to put a USB cable from your PC into the 'MFC' ethernet port on the rear of the AxeFX? (That can permanently kill the ethernet/Cat5 method of connection until the burnt out components in the AxeFX are repaired)

I suppose the next logical test would be to try using a MIDI cable to connect the MFC to the AxeFX - plug in the MFC power adaptor wall wart and try a std 5 pin MIDI cable (with Port type suitably adjusted in MFC first).

Another test would be to try using a different device for transmitting general MIDI PC changes to the AxeFX MIDI In - like some FX unit with a MIDI out lying around or keyboard/synth or another MIDI foot controller. If that worked then it would point at the MFC as being perhaps the device with problems.

Did you buy the AxeFX and MFC new?

So just to confirm - you changed Port type to FASLINK in MFC - and then restarted the AxeFX with the XLR cable to the MFC in place and you get the timeout message in the MFC?

When you get the timeout message on the MFC is the Port type still at the correct one you changed to earlier?

Is there any chance you might have mistakenly tried to put a USB cable from your PC into the 'MFC' ethernet port on the rear of the AxeFX? (That can permanently kill the ethernet/Cat5 method of connection until the burnt out components in the AxeFX are repaired)

I suppose the next logical test would be to try using a MIDI cable to connect the MFC to the AxeFX - plug in the MFC power adaptor wall wart and try a std 5 pin MIDI cable (with Port type suitably adjusted in MFC first).

Another test would be to try using a different device for transmitting general MIDI PC changes to the AxeFX MIDI In - like some FX unit with a MIDI out lying around or keyboard/synth or another MIDI foot controller. If that worked then it would point at the MFC as being perhaps the device with problems.

Did you buy the AxeFX and MFC new?
I found the issue with the timeout error message. When I reset the MFC to factory settings, it reset the type to XL+, I am running an XL. I reset that to XL and that cured the timeout error message. Also, once I corrected that and tested with the MFC to factory settings, it seems to be working correctly now. Although I have not time to seriously run it through its paces, just a quick check as I had to leave for work. I will test it further this evening, so keep the suggestions coming. I seriously appreciate all the helpful suggestions/comments. This is the absolute BEST forum to be a part of! Everyone is extremely helpful and willing to share past experience.
In answer to your last question, I bought both the AxeFX and MFC used off this forum. In retrospect, I think my first order of business should have been to reset both to factory settings. That would have taken me back to Day 1 settings on both and given me a fresh start. I am a noob, and trying to learn step-by-step. I will post later today after I test the MFC more this evening. Thanks everyone!!!

Back
Top Bottom