Frustrated with AX3 to FM3 conversions

Cough @AlGrenadine cough šŸ˜

I thought that I read somewhere that the way the FM3 calculates CPU usage is calibrated differently from the Axe-FX III. I may be wrong

With that said, I saw this issue coming when it was announced that the FM3 could import Axe-FX III presets. For new users who arenā€™t familiar with the unit, this probably feels like a disaster. I think people need to really learn the unit and get comfortable creating presets from scratch or modifying the stock presets before attempting to adapt complex Axe-FX III presets to the FM3.
How would it work?
"be careful your converted preset will run 245% cpu"? ^^
Then what?

Whet happens if you remove all blocks except the amp and cab? Make sure theyā€™re still in the chain.

When you remove the Pitch block and Drive...it falls into acceptable CPU range and tracks.
I think what Tone is saying is that the 70% on screen ...while in a OVER CPU state is misleading......you are always over 100 when red ....I think.

I then deleted the disconnected enhancer block....it drops to 69%.....still CPU muted.

As mentioned above, while the FM3 is muted, the CPU indicator is showing the CPU of the preset with blocks disabled. You'll need to remove one or more blocks to un-mute the preset and get a new read on CPU usage.

For me, that meant removing the Flanger, Chorus, Enhancer, and Multi-Delay and unused shunts. This got it down to a workable 75%

If it were me, I'd lose the PEQ. It isn't needed. I'd also put the pitch in front of the Cab to filter shifter artifacts. Also, please note that the source preset seems to be so old that the pitch block isn't importing correctly. You'll need to change the Type to CUSTOM SHIFTER and set up the scale as per Mark's instructions in the Axe-Change description. On that note, you might just want to make a version of this preset with no pitch and put the Chorus back in. That's what I did.

I've attached my effort here for you as a starting point.

Attachments

• MARK DAY Kiss_20200308_115940.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 7
does that matter ?

It was a joke. I followed KISS from the start when it was just guitars, Marshalls, and a couple of pedals
Personally stopped paying attention after the 70s.
I tried finding that MD video but couldn't.
Found a bunch of them with him making an AX8 sound amazing though. But that's another thread.

Last edited:
When you remove the Pitch block and Drive...it falls into acceptable CPU range and tracks.
I think what Tone is saying is that the 70% on screen ...while in a OVER CPU state is misleading......you are always over 100 when red ....I think.

For reference:
BC637FE1-643A-43A4-9FDD-FFC587EDEF77.jpeg

Hey guys, being totally new to this kind of gear and this online community, I sincerely appreciate ALL the support that you guys instantaneously start throwing outšŸ‘ - It definitely removes a lot of the newbie frustration... So...the modded preset from Admin M@ worked great, but what I still donā€™t understand (because this affects all the other AX3 presets that Iā€™m trying to lobotomize too) is how M@ ā€œonlyā€ shrunk it to 71% and it PLAYED perfect, but I shrunk it all the way to 64% and it was still flashing: ā€œWARNING-MUTEDā€??? Itā€™s not an I/O signal chain connectivity issue, but some glitch where no matter how many blocks I completely deleted (not just removed), no matter how far I got CPU% down, it still flashes the red ā€œwarningā€.... Is there some ā€œresetā€ you need to do after youā€™ve reduced enough CPU to get the FM3 to ā€œrealizeā€ that youā€™ve ā€œactuallyā€ gotten way below 70%?? Again, thanks again for all the input and help you guys so happily throw out there - Iā€™m sure I canā€™t be the only one experiencing AX3 to FM3 conversion problems so this will help others down the road as these things start landing all over the world.

Hey guys, being totally new to this kind of gear and this online community, I sincerely appreciate ALL the support that you guys instantaneously start throwing outšŸ‘ - It definitely removes a lot of the newbie frustration... So...the modded preset from Admin M@ worked great, but what I still donā€™t understand (because this affects all the other AX3 presets that Iā€™m trying to lobotomize too) is how M@ ā€œonlyā€ shrunk it to 71% and it PLAYED perfect, but I shrunk it all the way to 64% and it was still flashing: ā€œWARNING-MUTEDā€??? Itā€™s not an I/O signal chain connectivity issue, but some glitch where no matter how many blocks I completely deleted (not just removed), no matter how far I got CPU% down, it still flashes the red ā€œwarningā€.... Is there some ā€œresetā€ you need to do after youā€™ve reduced enough CPU to get the FM3 to ā€œrealizeā€ that youā€™ve ā€œactuallyā€ gotten way below 70%?? Again, thanks again for all the input and help you guys so happily throw out there - Iā€™m sure I canā€™t be the only one experiencing AX3 to FM3 conversion problems so this will help others down the road as these things start landing all over the world.
Remove. Unused. Blocks.

try deleting the Reverb block first thing. you should be able to play it then, as long as you connect the out block appropriately.

i think the CPU meter won't show something like 110%, so it just "disables" the reverb block and subtracts its CPU from the meter, but it's still too high with the reverb clock in there.

the FM3 being able to load Axe3 presets is a convenience for retaining as much block information as possible as a starting point. it is not a guarantee that Axe3 presets will play on an FM3 as intended solely because it can be loaded.

In case Iā€™m not understanding correctly, when I say ā€œdeleteā€, it means Iā€™ve clicked on the block>opened the drop down>and deleted the block. Trust me, the block then disappears completely from the chain AND from the entire grid AND CPU% drops accordingly....even down to 60% and beyond yet still most of Mark Dayā€™s and Burgā€™s presets will STILL flash the red warning. Thereā€™s something else going on that wonā€™t turn off the red warningšŸ¤¦ā€ā™‚ļøšŸ¤”

In case Iā€™m not understanding correctly, when I say ā€œdeleteā€, it means Iā€™ve clicked on the block>opened the drop down>and deleted the block. Trust me, the block then disappears completely from the chain AND from the entire grid AND CPU% drops accordingly....even down to 60% and beyond yet still most of Mark Dayā€™s and Burgā€™s presets will STILL flash the red warning. Thereā€™s something else going on that wonā€™t turn off the red warningšŸ¤¦ā€ā™‚ļøšŸ¤”
The something else is that a block (usually reverb) is internally disabled. The cpu meter reads a lower number but there is still too much cpu because of the disabled block. Older gear indicated this a bit better. Perhaps this can be improved.

as I said earlier, in the kiss preset delete the reverb block and it should play.

Youā€™re a genius!!! I deleted the Reverb block, and oddly, it DID NOT reduce CPU at all, but it instantly playedšŸ¤”šŸ¤˜šŸ‘
There's a point past which the unit can't do much if it's overloaded, including update the %age use.

Yup. IIIā€™s got the patience of a Saint. Iā€™ve seen that from him all over this forum. HUGE Thanks!! I hope my wife has the same patience because Iā€™ve been mysteriously missing in Fractal Jedi training ever since this thing got delivered on Thursday.

Back
Top Bottom