Frustrated with AX3 to FM3 conversions

ToneDriven

Inspired
Okay, so I’m still new at this (3 days in), but I’ve been performing lobotomies all weekend on AX3 presets and no matter how many blocks I remove to get FM3 CPU% down, the FM3 STILL flashes “CPU Limit - Muted” EVEN though I’ve gotten CPU% down to 64%. For instance, my band just added 2 KISS tunes so I grab Mark Day’s AX3 KISS patch #6840 and start lobotomizing it to put it back together in FM3-EDIT, and to drop CPU percentages “to make it play” and no matter how many blocks I delete, the FM3 still mutes it and flashes “CPU Limit - Muted”...... How can it not play at only 64% CPU??????

Okay, so I’m still new at this (3 days in), but I’ve been performing lobotomies all weekend on AX3 presets and no matter how many blocks I remove to get FM3 CPU% down, the FM3 STILL flashes “CPU Limit - Muted” EVEN though I’ve gotten CPU% down to 64%. For instance, my band just added 2 KISS tunes so I grab Mark Day’s AX3 KISS patch #6840 and start lobotomizing it to put it back together in FM3-EDIT, and to drop CPU percentages “to make it play” and no matter how many blocks I delete, the FM3 still mutes it and flashes “CPU Limit - Muted”...... How can it not play at only 64% CPU??????

I just loaded that preset up on my Axe-FX III and it’s sitting at about 71%. In order to run on your FM3, it’s going to have to be stripped down quite a bit. What blocks can you absolutely live without?

I have had this same problem with importing AC3 presets directly to FM3.
Even though it a says CPU 70%
Flashes Red and No audio. Glitch I figure.
I had bigger fish to fry so moved on....

I moved on too, but out of frustration, but I STILL need that KISS preset. Doesn’t matter how many blocks I remove - it won’t play, then I move on to other AX3 presets and they transfer over around 85%CPU and they’ll actually play?!?! How’s that? WAY higher CPU than the KISS one and they play, but Mark Day’s KISS preset that I shrunk to 64% won’t play...SMH...something buried in the preset causing a glitch?

try deleting the Reverb block first thing. you should be able to play it then, as long as you connect the out block appropriately.

i think the CPU meter won't show something like 110%, so it just "disables" the reverb block and subtracts its CPU from the meter, but it's still too high with the reverb clock in there.

the FM3 being able to load Axe3 presets is a convenience for retaining as much block information as possible as a starting point. it is not a guarantee that Axe3 presets will play on an FM3 as intended solely because it can be loaded.

... no matter how many blocks I delete, the FM3 still mutes it and flashes “CPU Limit - Muted”...... How can it not play at only 64% CPU??????
If you're running a busy Reverb block at, say, 87%, and the CPU Limit feature disables that Reverb block, you can find yourself running at 64% — with the Reverb disabled and muted.

Seriously, though — no matter how many blocks you delete? What do you mean by "won't play?" If you've broken the signal chain, you'll get no sound — even if you delete more blocks. ;)

I moved on too, but out of frustration, but I STILL need that KISS preset. Doesn’t matter how many blocks I remove - it won’t play, then I move on to other AX3 presets and they transfer over around 85%CPU and they’ll actually play?!?! How’s that? WAY higher CPU than the KISS one and they play, but Mark Day’s KISS preset that I shrunk to 64% won’t play...SMH...something buried in the preset causing a glitch?

Again, what blocks can you absolutely live without? I’m willing to take a look at the preset, remove what you absolutely don’t need, and make sure it works, at least on my end.

Some super smart person should come up with a conversion calculator for Fractal presets.
Plug in a AxeIII preset and it calculates how much has to be trimmed (if any) before it'll run in the FM3.

Would eliminate a lot of what looks to be trial an error at this point.

Last edited:
Some super smart persons should come up with a conversion calculator for Fractal presets.
Plug in a AxeIII preset and it calculates how much has to be trimmed (if any) before it'll run in the FM3.

Would eliminate a lot of what looks to be trial an error at this point.

Cough @AlGrenadine cough 😏

I thought that I read somewhere that the way the FM3 calculates CPU usage is calibrated differently from the Axe-FX III. I may be wrong

With that said, I saw this issue coming when it was announced that the FM3 could import Axe-FX III presets. For new users who aren’t familiar with the unit, this probably feels like a disaster. I think people need to really learn the unit and get comfortable creating presets from scratch or modifying the stock presets before attempting to adapt complex Axe-FX III presets to the FM3.

This is what ToneDriven is talking about....all the blocks except the Enhancer are in the chain.....sits at 71.3%....but has RED on CPU muted FM3...no sound because of this.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-03-08 at 11.02.32 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-08 at 11.02.32 AM.png
    483.8 KB · Views: 44
I then deleted the disconnected enhancer block....it drops to 69%.....still CPU muted.

Again, what blocks can you absolutely live without?

^^^!!!

It may be good for AxeIII users who get an FM3 to learn the art of trimming presets to make them lean and mean.
Or creating them that way from scratch.
Being able to construct these large chains of blocks is cool, but is everything really critical to that particular preset?

Just because we can use a dozen things, are all 12 of them really necessary???

Being able to construct these large chains of blocks is cool, but is everything really critical to that particular preset?

Just because we can use a dozen things, are all 12 of them really necessary???

As easy as it is to switch presets, you could easily split a complex patch in to a few to accommodate the FM3’s processing.

But as an example, the Kiss patch mentioned above has A LOT going on. It’s very close to hitting the limits of the Axe-FX III. That just can’t translate to the FM3 without substantial changes.

This is what ToneDriven is talking about....all the blocks except the Enhancer are in the chain.....sits at 71.3%....but has RED on CPU muted FM3...no sound because of this.

Even though it’s not in the chain, it’s still there. Blocks will need to be removed and other reverbs or delays will need to be used to reduce CPU usage.

The Kiss patch mentioned above has A LOT going on. It’s very close to hitting the limits of the Axe-FX III.

Which for a KISS preset should almost be impossible to do! We're not talking Crystal Cathedral ambient washes with both forward and reverse ducked echos through a quad-chrous here. :laughing:

guitar>tuner>exp-wah/volume>distortion>gate>plexi>4x12>mod>echo>reverb

How much of the Axe would this eat up? 50%?

If you watch Marks video or try the patch...you will see it has a Quad Pitch Detune for PARTICULAR song/solo in a song.....

Back
Top Bottom