Frustrated after day one of my III [solved]

rnjscooter

Experienced
Hey everyone, fired up my III for the first time today. I built my own preset and had some issues so i broke it all down and then went to a factory preset and the same thing.

Ultimately, I realized that I am NOT in stereo. The reason I figured it out is I use ping pong delay. I have no i idea what I am doing wrong, but the delay goes right up the middle. it does NOT go left and right. I could throw out all my variables, like when i pan my amps right I lose my output level, and when I an left its too loud. Or when I bypass the cab block i hear all the delays, and with the cab block engaged I only hear 1/2 of the delays. But I think those are really secondary to, why am I not hearing left and right outputs out of my speakers. I have it A/B'd with my II and the 2 is perfectly stereo panned

2ndly, I am confused a little with the cab blocks. Are they ALL ultra res now? are they stereo?

sorry, just a frustrating first day......

Last edited:
Hey everyone, fired up my III for the first time today. I built my own preset and had some issues so i broke it all down and then went to a factory preset and the same thing.

Ultimately, I realized that I am NOT in stereo. The reason I figured it out is I use ping pong delay. I have no i idea what I am doing wrong, but the delay goes right up the middle. it does NOT go left and right. I could throw out all my variables, like when i pan my amps right I lose my output level, and when I an left its too loud. Or when I bypass the cab block i hear all the delays, and with the cab block engaged I only hear 1/2 of the delays. But I think those are really secondary to, why am I not hearing left and right outputs out of my speakers. I have it A/B'd with my II and the 2 is perfectly stereo panned

2ndly, I am confused a little with the cab blocks. Are they ALL ultra res now? are they stereo?

sorry, just a frustrating first day......
Cab block is stereo. Use the Pan control to adjust the panning for each IR in use.

There is only 1 Cab block type in the Axe Fx III.

Assuming you are using Output 1, make sure it's set to Stereo mode.

Do you have the same results with headphones?

I'd suggest doing a factory reset as a first step. It should all be set for stereo by default.

thanks unix-guy for responding, I see a balance control, are you talking about each of the 4 IRs in the cab block? I am not in front of it at the moment but it seemed like the balance was for the entire block but not for each individual IR within a block. So then I added a second cab block and panned one left and one right and that was not a good outcome as I am not running out stereo for some reason. i am sure output one is set to stereo. I will check w my headphones but again A/B'd w my II, the II is panned left and right no issues. Thanks again unix-guy

exactly where meaning....... on the unit, not in axe edit? I will have to read up how to do that. thanks gentlemen

thanks unix-guy for responding, I see a balance control, are you talking about each of the 4 IRs in the cab block? I am not in front of it at the moment but it seemed like the balance was for the entire block but not for each individual IR within a block. So then I added a second cab block and panned one left and one right and that was not a good outcome as I am not running out stereo for some reason. i am sure output one is set to stereo. I will check w my headphones but again A/B'd w my II, the II is panned left and right no issues. Thanks again unix-guy
Yes, there is a pan control for each IR within the cab block. To be honest, I didn't even realize there was a Balance control :)

exactly where meaning....... on the unit, not in axe edit? I will have to read up how to do that. thanks gentlemen
Go in Layout mode:

Home button
Press the main encoder

Now go to the Meters page:

Press the page right button once

Each block will display as a meter showing input, and output levels.

It's in Layout > Meters. It looks like this:

IMG_0893_grid_meters.jpg

You can see left and right signal levels for both the input and the output of each block.

If your ping-pong delay is set up correctly, you'll see the two green output meters pumping left and right. If your stereo chain is preserved from the Delay block all the way to the Output block, everything is working as it should. When you find the block where the left-right pumping changes to both left and right pumping at the same time, that's where your signal is getting collapsed.

It's in Layout > Meters. It looks like this:

IMG_0893_grid_meters.jpg

You can see left and right signal levels for both the input and the output of each block.

If your ping-pong delay is set up correctly, you'll see the two green output meters pumping left and right. If your stereo chain is preserved from the Delay block all the way to the Output block, everything is working as it should. When you find the block where the left-right pumping changes to both left and right pumping at the same time, that's where your signal is getting collapsed.
Wow thats amazing! I gotta get up at 5am, but I may work on this now. thx!

ok now I am getting some where. in the meters page everything is good till the cab block. there is no left and right ping pong. both left and right are summed it seems. however the in's are ping ponging but the outs are not. the outs are summed. AND i hear the first repeat in real time, all subsequent repeats are in half time. my output 1 summed but I can see my output is operating correctly.

Will keep working, thx!

ok now I am getting some where. in the meters page everything is good till the cab block. there is no left and right ping pong. both left and right are summed it seems. however the in's are ping ponging but the outs are not. the outs are summed. AND i hear the first repeat in real time, all subsequent repeats are in half time. my output 1 summed but I can see my output is operating correctly.

Will keep working, thx!
Cool. You've found the culprit: the Cab block. :)

For starters, make sure its Input Mode is set to STEREO.

on the unit there is no input 1 mode. there is for 2,3 and 4, but not 1.
In the Cab block, Input Mode is on the Mix page. But you don't need to worry about it if you've already got the Cab block's output ping-ponging.

guys thanks for your help. I gotta crash. i can't get it. went to 329 eruption and set the ping pong on the delay and the meters are good all the way showing ping pong yet my speakers are not. switch to my axe fx 2, and ping pong in the speakers is there. frustrated, sorry

In the Cab block, Input Mode is on the Mix page. But you don't need to worry about it if you've already got the Cab block's output ping-ponging.

that could be my issue, i dont have a mix page in axe edit. I will have to get the manual out tomorrow and learn the front panel

thanks everyone

Back
Top Bottom