Frozen green screen at boot :(

ptgold

Inspired
Frozen green screen at boot (FIXED!)

So I come home from work today, plug in and turn on and all I get is this!

Photo12-16-1465901pm.jpg

My AXE II doesn't boot up and just freezes with a blank green screen and the colored leds.

Has anybody experienced this before? Any idea what the problem could be? Already contacted support but just wanted to get some info from the community.

this sucks!

UPDATE: Fractal Support solved the problem. Thanks!

Last edited:
Hold down the Recall button when you power up. I had this happen after a bad firmware install a while back. Had to do it twice but it cleared up & hasn't happened since.

Tried that a couple of times but still no go. How long should you press? Should it happen automatically? thanks for the tip though

Contact Fractal. This happened to me when I updated and turned the Axe off before it was truly finished updating. They may suggest you ship the unit back to them, but the solution is a small jumper that they *could* ship out to you with the instruction as to where to place it within the unit.

Good luck

Tried that a couple of times but still no go. How long should you press? Should it happen automatically? thanks for the tip though

I held it down until it went into the normal startup routine. It works if you are on a corrupt preset & makes it start up with no preset selected. If it's not a corrupt preset, it probably won't help.

I had it happen after the last FW update.
Turned it off and on again and everything has been fine since!
Been a bit nervous each time I turn it on now though, hope it won't happen again since I don't have a gigging backup right now..

I definitely think it must have been the last firmware 17.02 as I haven't been able to play it. Power cycling hasn't done the job though...still doesn't boot. I might have to ship it to Fractal which sucks as I live in Panama....shipping to NH is gonna be a pretty penny :miserable:

So I come home from work today, plug in and turn on and all I get is this!

View attachment 24163

My AXE II doesn't boot up and just freezes with a blank green screen and the colored leds.

Has anybody experienced this before? Any idea what the problem could be? Already contacted support but just wanted to get some info from the community.

this sucks!

Yes this exact same thing happened to me since I have updated to 16.04! I had the same freeze with a blank screen like that 5 times or so. Had a topic about the same thing here:
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-discussion/93315-blank-screen.html

Strangely enough it doesn't always happen, most of the times it starts up as it should. Since more people have this lately I would very much like to know what it is. Does it have to do with a FW update? Or is it the battery? Not sure what to do with it. It makes me nervous at gigs and rehearsals. The feeling that you can't trust it anymore.

this happened to me once several firmware versions ago, restarted never happened again, might be best to reaload the firmware

The support guys are sending me the EPROM to fix this. Ill give an update once I've fixed this.

Apparently this has been happening a lot recently. Something to do with fractalbot and the new firmwares.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the eprom install on mine and has been working great since maybe fw14. Just follow directions when installing. My question is, can the frozen green screen happen again to a axe fx unit that has a EPROM installed already?

Apparently this has been happening a lot recently. Something to do with fractalbot and the new firmwares.

Can you explain this? How do you know it has to do with Fractal Bot? would be nice to have someone from Fractal explain this here since more users have this problem. Now I have no idea what to do since it doesn't always happen.

Last edited:
The support guys are sending me the EPROM to fix this. Ill give an update once I've fixed this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where did you get that?

It has to be authorized by the Fractal support team once they've reviewed your case. You can't buy repair parts unless they're authorized or else they'll cancel it.

I think he mean't where did you get "Apparently this has been happening a lot recently. Something to do with fractalbot and the new firmwares."

It has to be authorized by the Fractal support team once they've reviewed your case. You can't buy repair parts unless they're authorized or else they'll cancel it.
Yes, I know. I do support for Fractal :). I was referring to "Something to do with fractalbot and the new firmwares"

Yes, I know. I do support for Fractal :). I was referring to "Something to do with fractalbot and the new firmwares"

Ohh sorry :). Nobody told me, Im just guessing. Ive just seen that other user have had this same problem after installing a firmware

Ohh sorry :). Nobody told me, Im just guessing. Ive just seen that other user have had this same problem after installing a firmware

If the problem happens, it normally happen when you do a firmware update. If anything goes wrong during the firmware writing process this can happen. It is fairly uncommon. This round of firmware updates didn't appear to happen to more people than usual.
There is no evidence that Fractalbot had anything to do with any of them.

Back
Top Bottom