Front patch panel suggestions

Justmc

Inspired
I have been seeing over the years many interesting front rack mounted patch panels posted here. I am a long time Fractal user and good with a soldering iron so I'm thinking of taking the plunge. My main concern is giving up my 4 space rack that now has the AxeFx 3 and a single space Matrix GT1000 amp in it. A 6 space rack might break the deal but fumbling around in the dark setting up and breaking down is frustrating.

Any suggestions and vendors for said hardware would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Front input has variable input impedence on it, but that doesn't matter if you're using a wireless.
Interesting, yesterday I noticed my tone sounds warmer/sweeter going through the front input. I tested it for a good 30 minutes using a single cable and two cables through a analogman buffer. In all scenarios, the front input sounded better.

I use two cables through a buffer for larger stages. I prefer not to use a wireless.

Interesting, yesterday I noticed my tone sounds warmer/sweeter going through the front input. I tested it for a good 30 minutes using a single cable and two cables through a analogman buffer. In all scenarios, the front input sounded better.

I use two cables through a buffer for larger stages. I prefer not to use a wireless.
Using cables, there will be a difference between the two inputs. Using a wireless unit won't sound any different.

I copied the panel that JoKer III built and it a great add to my rack. I set it upright at the gig next to my FRFR monitor and patch everything from the top. Easy to see and get at.

I've been toying with the idea of building my own patch panel but suspect I'll end up mounting on the rear rails. Should still be easy enough to get to but keeps the front of the rack nice and clean at gigs.
I did look (here in the UK) for pre-built panels but either couldn't find anything, or when I did the prices were prohibitive, and since I used to do lots of soldering including 'back in the day' on RS-232 etc. I don't think it will be too difficult. Now I've said that... just watch me backtrack and just buy one.

Thanks for all the tips and experience. Are most of you installing pre-made short cables to interface with the rack or making your own set ups via wire and soldering ? Would love to see some rear photo's of the connections and cabling .

Thanks for all the tips and experience. Are most of you installing pre-made short cables to interface with the rack or making your own set ups via wire and soldering ? Would love to see some rear photo's of the connections and cabling .
I made the patch panel with parts from redco.com and cable I already had.
1657560082795.png

I stopped going out the front and instead go out the side. It saves 1RU, but also gives a cleaner front setup when it's sitting on the floor at most gigs.

woah, super inspired by this. Do you have any further info on how to cut into the side of your case to mount this thing? I LOVE this idea

Ever used one of those little headlamps? It's one of those tools you'll not only find all sorts of uses for, but you'll also wonder how you did without one for so long.
Played an outdoor event in the evening the other day and used exactly that .. Some flourescent tape markings also help out.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom