Front panel editing on the AX-8

This is incorrect. You can copy blocks between presets on the Axe-Fx II without Axe-Edit.

Exactly. "Recall Effect"

The AX8 is a device designed for performing. It doesn't have the Recall screen of the Axe-Fx, and a different kind of user interface.

Dont need a Surface, any netbook will do, and that's way cheaper.

While that is a true statement, for the size of available memory that comes on the Surface 3, the Surface is actually a better deal. Most Netbooks only have 16GB of internal memory and run around $200. The Surface 3 has a 64GB option for $399 and a 128GB option for $499. I know that if you are using it exclusively for the Axe Edit, that you wouldn't need a ton of memory, but when you take into account Cab IR's, Cab Lab, Preset saving, Block saving..... that all does add up after a while..... and lets be honest here, are you really going to use it JUST FOR THE AX8???

While that is a true statement, for the size of available memory that comes on the Surface 3, the Surface is actually a better deal. Most Netbooks only have 16GB of internal memory and run around $200. The Surface 3 has a 64GB option for $399 and a 128GB option for $499. I know that if you are using it exclusively for the Axe Edit, that you wouldn't need a ton of memory, but when you take into account Cab IR's, Cab Lab, Preset saving, Block saving..... that all does add up after a while..... and lets be honest here, are you really going to use it JUST FOR THE AX8???
Not sure if that's the place to debate about PCs, but just search for netbook on Amazon and you'll get lots of little monsters that will do exactly what OP wants, for even under 200$. And he can still check his emails or watch videos :)

There is an app called MIDI Designer. You can design the interface yourself and it sends the usual stuff like CCs and PCs. But it also can send SysEx, which means with a lot of work (but no programming), you could build your own AX8-Edit for iOS.

Whew , sounds like a job for someone with more time than I've got. I'd rather pay for an app. Since the AX8 is a mobile rig , makes sense that a mobile device could connect for editing though......?

Last edited:
This worked very nicely when I tried it to copy a reverb from another patch using the front panel.

Set one of your function switches to SINGLE PRESET/BANK. Press the switch. Press <PAGE>. Recall any effect from any other preset just like the AxeFX.

upload_2016-2-12_8-23-58.png

Pressing exit after you get the "block retrieved" message will take you back to the destination preset where you can place the retrieved block simply by choosing a grid location and selecting the same block type.

Attachments

• upload_2016-2-12_8-19-7.png
    upload_2016-2-12_8-19-7.png
    71.9 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Dont need a Surface, any netbook will do, and that's way cheaper.
This is not completely correct. You need windows. Lot's of the cheaper netbooks don't run windows. I started a thread about the surface probably being the perfect unit for Edit. The surface is a bit more than I want to drop so I keep looking for a cheaper 2in1 tablet that runs windows. Also I still have not brought my self to want to drop any money on a solution just for running edit, keeping backups with me ect...eventually I will bite the bullet

This is not completely correct. You need windows. Lot's of the cheaper netbooks don't run windows. I started a thread about the surface probably being the perfect unit for Edit. The surface is a bit more than I want to drop so I keep looking for a cheaper 2in1 tablet that runs windows. Also I still have not brought my self to want to drop any money on a solution just for running edit, keeping backups with me ect...eventually I will bite the bullet
Right - a Windows netbook. Dont get a chromebook that won't allow you to install Axedit :)

Ok, so I just bought the above mentioned Windows Netbook. It comes loaded with Windows 8.1, but you get a free upgrade to Windows 10. It also comes with a detachable keyboard with 2 USB ports to connect to devices(AX8). It has a 32GB memory in it, but has a microSD port where you can add a 32GB microSD card to up the available storage in it to 64GB. We had 3 of them at my local Walmart(now 2 since I bought 1) and with tax it comes out to $141.00. It also comes with a free, foam padded pouch inside as well. If anyone else is interested in one and doesn't have one at their local store, I would be happy to purchase and ship for you. I would imagine that shipping would be around $15 USPS Priority.

How about a review of this thing? Looks too good to be true really.

Well, the reviews on the site seem to be about 60/40 good to bad. I just got it, its up and running.... I have installed AX8 Edit and Fractal Bot(I probably don't need it but installed anyways). I deleted the fluff that came on it(Microsoft Office 365 was the only fluff) and it seems to run really well. I don't get my AX8 till Monday, so my review with the AX8 will have to wait till then as I don't have anything else to test it out on Axe related.

Ok, so I just bought the above mentioned Windows Netbook. It comes loaded with Windows 8.1, but you get a free upgrade to Windows 10. It also comes with a detachable keyboard with 2 USB ports to connect to devices(AX8). It has a 32GB memory in it, but has a microSD port where you can add a 32GB microSD card to up the available storage in it to 64GB. We had 3 of them at my local Walmart(now 2 since I bought 1) and with tax it comes out to $141.00. It also comes with a free, foam padded pouch inside as well. If anyone else is interested in one and doesn't have one at their local store, I would be happy to purchase and ship for you. I would imagine that shipping would be around $15 USPS Priority.

How did it work with the Ax8?

there is one locally I think I will go and get. $136 with taxes... If it doesn't work I will return it. Thanks for the heads up!

How did it work with the Ax8?

there is one locally I think I will go and get. $136 with taxes... If it doesn't work I will return it. Thanks for the heads up!

If you get it up and running before Monday, let me know how it works. I bought a 32GB microSD card as well for mine. It was a PNY brand and cost $18 with tax. I plan on storing all my AX8 stuff on it, like Cabs, Presets, Blocks, etc... Figured if I want to keep the Netbook running fast, the less I store on the actual drive of the Netbook the better! So far I have Cab Packs 10, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, and CabIR eu's Orange pack on my microSD card and its taking up a whopping 200MB's of space....

Back
Top Bottom