Front Jack VS Rear Jack

shadoe

Experienced
I hear people say there is a difference. However, what is it? I see everyone racking their units and running their instrument cables in the front. What is the purpose?

I have searched far and wide and have come up empty handed.

P.S. Brace your self for sexually charged jokes regarding this matter.

The front input is a Hi-Z input and the rear inputs are designed for line-level signals.

You generally want to run a guitar into the front input.

The front input is a Hi-Z input and the rear inputs are designed for line-level signals.

You generally want to run a guitar into the front input.

Both the front and rear are Hi-Z. The input sensitivity is different. As you said, the front is designed for guitar level signals.

The front input also has a soft clip function so it takes drive pedals better.
The front input also has a proprietary hardware/software function that lower the perceived noise floor

Both the front and rear are Hi-Z. The input sensitivity is different. As you said, the front is designed for guitar level signals.

The front input also has a proprietary hardware/software function that lower the perceived noise floor

So, its better to run guitars (especially with drive pedals) into the front? While its better to run other instruments into the rear?

^^^This...

...except that I don't notice a sensitivity difference between front and rear inputs. The rear input can handle a higher signal level before clipping, though that only matters for line-level signals—not so much for guitar.

I use front and rear interchangeably as a way to swap guitars without having to change connections. One guitar goes into the front jack, the other goes into the right-rear jack.

^^^This...

...except that I don't notice a sensitivity difference between front and rear inputs. The rear input can handle a higher signal level before clipping, though that only matters for line-level signals—not so much for guitar.

I use front and rear interchangeably as a way to swap guitars without having to change connections. One guitar goes into the front jack, the other goes into the right-rear jack.

With equal input levels you have to turn the input levels up higher on the rear to achieve the same levels to the A/D converters.

With equal input levels you have to turn the input levels up higher on the rear to achieve the same levels to the A/D converters.
I'll have to check that out. My wireless has unity gain with its level maxed, and I've been using it to swap guitars between front and rear inputs without issue.

Ah, my mistake. I thought the rear inputs were not Hi-Z.

I'll have to check that out. My wireless has unity gain with its level maxed, and I've been using it to swap guitars between front and rear inputs without issue.

You mentioned the difference earlier: "The rear input can handle a higher signal level before clipping."

The unity gain adjustment means the levels reaching the grid should be the same either way, at least with stereo input mode.

That is interesting. I use a cable into Input 1 for normal gigs, but for larger events, i've been tempted to use my wireless system, but I've found that even at full gain the level going into input 1 is way too low, so i'd have to crank the Axe input level to the max in order to get the level tickling the red. I've never tried input 2 before though. Perhaps it makes no difference though.

:? Hmmm... I run my G90 into the front input and don't notice any difference compared to using a cable direct into the front input, and only need a tiny tweak to the I/O input level.

You mentioned the difference earlier: "The rear input can handle a higher signal level before clipping."

The unity gain adjustment means the levels reaching the grid should be the same either way, at least with stereo input mode.
Exactly. The levels reaching the grid seem to be the same, front or rear. But javajunie seems to be saying the opposite:

I mentioned unity gain on my wireless (which I plug into the rear input) to indicate that when I crank up the wireless all the way, I get the same level out as I put in, so I'm hitting the rear input with the same analog level as the front.

But javajunie seems to be saying the opposite:

No, he's saying you have to set the rear input level higher to light the input LEDs (indicating level at AD convertor) the same way for a given source. So a low output device might be able to get more optimal levels to the front input, but the unity gain design means you get the same level at the grid either way.

Back
Top Bottom