Front Instrument input died

maxdown

Fractal Fanatic
****** edit ******

Just to say panic seems to be over - the problem appears to have been USB or Axe-Edit related. I completely overlooked that I was connected via USB at the time - and while I powered down the Axe several times trying things, I didn't disconnect the USB, relaunch Axe-Edit or restart the PC.

I tried again at a later stage and didn't have Axe-Edit or USB connected and all was 100% - I then tried using Axe-Edit again but couldn't replicate the problem - so I'm assuming at this point something had crashed in Axe-Edit or the USB drivers.

Not my intention to cause any undue 'bad press' on the Axe2 - I'm loving it! But maybe this post will point someone else to the root of the problem if they experience a similar problem.

****** End of Edit ******

Only about the 6th time I've plugged into my Axe2 ready to get working on presets and now the front instrument input has died away to a barely audible distorted ghost .... bah!

Yes, I've tried different cables and guitar so it's not anything before the input. Moving the jack up and down slightly brings back the full tone/volume intermittently so if it was an analogue device I'd just say it was a dry solder joint or a short in the input socket wiring connection - but not sure whats behind the input socket on this beast.

Before I open it up - can anyone who's had a peek inside remember if the input socket wiring is accessible or is it wired into or hidden behind a pcb or anything weird?

Bit of a sickener if I have to return the unit just because of a lousy input jack socket!

Ta

Last edited:
Yep ... I already had fired off a mail to G66 first thing ... but just wondered if anybody else had experienced a similar fault and managed to fix it endorsed by Support or otherwise?

'Fraid I don't know, man. But from what you've already said, it definitely sounds like it should be a pretty easy fix (coming from a guy who's never even held a soldering iron!). Hopefully support can talk you through the repair. Hang in there!

It's become a bit more ominous I fear .....

I plugged in my headphones and have full blast signal through them - it's just the back outs that are not working as expected. I've just been using phones since I got the Axe a couple of weeks back - so this was first time trying it through monitors .......

I'm double checking routing - but I'm just using stock presets and stock factory system set up. I haven't tweaked any I/O settings (except copy out 1 to out 2 so I could check both sets of outs without making fx blocks) - so by my reckoning outs 1 should work 'out of the box' into monitors?

Monitors are just baby Behringer ones at the moment (their big brothers are ordered) but they work fine in other things like keyboard line outs etc.

The 'weakened' output from the back outs sounds effects heavy as well - the dry signal seems more or less completely missing and a washed out weak wet signal is leaking out the back outs.

Knickers .......

I've had mine a little over a week and have mostly used headphones with it. I think when I split it stereo with my mesa amps I had to use the input and output on the back. The front jack didn't seem to work for me.

do you have any luck running a simple mono output? create a new preset from scratch of amp block and cab block, nothing else. Choose either left or right Output 1 for mono operation. Also, what is the sound when you engage Global Bypass?

No back outs sound in both Bypass and simple mono preset (both left and right) .... headphones out still works fine

Looks like it's back in the box and off to see the nice man in a white coat at G66 time ....

Back
Top Bottom