Front Instrument Input clipping with Bass guitar.

Adam Charron

So I've been loving my Axe for guitars, but I tried to record some DI's for bass recently and I'm running into a clipping issue on the front input. Even with the level at 0, it still is distorting. This is only an issue with the bass btw, but I have noticed I need to have the input set to 5 - 15 for the guitars. Is there a pad somewhere? Am I missing something? For now, I'm using the back input 1 which doesn't have this issue.

You are talking about the settings on this I/O page? If you've got the INSTR IN backed off all the way, then listen to see if it is actually distorting with the unit Bypassed. I've got some hot basses with active electronics and never had much issue with the INPUT I/O. Otherwise, you may need to back off the volume of your bass itself, or see if you have an active Bass tone knob pushing a lot of low end. What kind of bass, electronics, etc?

Capture.JPG

It is an Ibanez SR300 (it is active), and that is section I'm talking about. It is clipping on input while bypassed. Nothing crazy but enough to make it sound worse than it should. I guess I'm just going to go in the back input then. Lowering the volume on the bass would be fine but keeping it at the same spot over a couple different recording sessions is a pain.

Weird. That must be one damn hot output bass. I've got a Wal and a Sterling Ray34CA, both of which are pretty high output basses, and no problems with either playing very, hard. I don't think you're losing anything significant by going into the back of the unit, so if that works, go for it.

Also to consider: change the battery, see if the pickup heights need adjustment. Sometimes you can do these adjustments so you're not sacrificing tone or balance, but just reducing output.

Back
Top Bottom