Front Input vs Rear Input

hotlegs

Inspired
Long story short answer - use the front input. Lots of users with wireless systems use the rear input. Noise floor is definitively much more. Easy test for everybody, use a Plexy, raise up the gain and take your headphone with headphone output from axe fx. Don't plug any guitar chord, leave the both inputs unplugged. Switch the front panel between front and rear input, rear input produces much more hiss.

Long story short answer - use the front input. Lots of users with wireless systems use the rear input. Noise floor is definitively much more. Easy test for everybody, use a Plexy, raise up the gain and take your headphone with headphone output from axe fx. Don't plug any guitar chord, leave the both inputs unplugged. Switch the front panel between front and rear input, rear input produces much more hiss.
As stated in the manual and WIKI:
Bildschirmfoto 2017-12-22 um 19.54.41.png Bildschirmfoto 2017-12-22 um 19.55.20.png

It’s kind of a moot point with a wireless, but that said, I still plug my wireless into the front jack regardless

It’s kind of a moot point with a wireless, but that said, I still plug my wireless into the front jack regardless

I can't tell the difference with my AXEII. I run the wireless in the back jack and a cable up front in the event something goes wrong. I seem to notice something with my XL+ though when using the rear input. Seems to be a slight treble boost. Probably because the impedance function is disabled for that input. I love having no visible wires showing. People ask me how I'm hooked up and if I'm faking it. LOL! ;)

Is everyone trying to be nice for Santa? We're five posts in and there is not a single innuendo joke about the post title.

I seem to notice something with my XL+ though when using the rear input. Seems to be a slight treble boost. Probably because the impedance function is disabled for that input.

It may be that, or the fact that front input uses that noise shaping secret sauce to pretend it's lower noise. Or maybe something else.

I personally don't see much difference either way in practice, but prefer the rear input for esthetic reasons, and also because it has more headroom for high output humbuckers.

RTFM - haven’t seen that ting about noise floor! The discussion about difference in sound is another thing, I don’t hear a difference - but I’m old :).

When you play wireless and you turn your guitar volume to zero you don’t bring your input (hot wire) to real ground like you do by using a guitar cord. I play old style, only a few amps, sometimes only a Plexi 50 cranked up, for clean and inbetween I use the volume pot of the guitar. In breaks between songs playing a show and turning guitar to zero you can really hear a lot of hiss - depending on your stage volume really loud.

I had a problem with my input board and had to send it to g66 for repair. I had to play two shows with the rear input and I was wondering about a level of hiss I never heard before. That’s the reason for my post.

Another thing off topic, using a wireless in front (rear input too) of the axe (specially my sennheiser with an external power adapter) produces some kind of ground loop. You can hear a very high frequency chirp over the noice floor. Solution for me, isolating the sennheiser from signal ground. I heard that sizzle and chirp even with a Line 6 G90 - my buddy is playing this setup.

Merry Christmas to all ...

I can't tell the difference with my AXEII. I run the wireless in the back jack and a cable up front in the event something goes wrong. I seem to notice something with my XL+ though when using the rear input. Seems to be a slight treble boost. Probably because the impedance function is disabled for that input. I love having no visible wires showing. People ask me how I'm hooked up and if I'm faking it. LOL! ;)
Hi all. I know that conversation is old, but it's interesting because i want to do the same like you do. I ussually use cable but i added a Shure Wireless system. How can i use both systems like you do?

Hi all. I know that conversation is old, but it's interesting because i want to do the same like you do. I ussually use cable but i added a Shure Wireless system. How can i use both systems like you do?
Old thread, indeed. Dead for six years. But what the heck...

What I did was run one guitar into the front input, and my wireless into the right channel of the rear input. Set Input 1 Mode to L+R Sum. Then I'd just turn up the volume knob on whichever guitar I wanted to play.

NOTE: Running Input 1 in L+R Sum mode will drop the signal level by 6 dB. You can compensate for this by setting the global Amp Gain parameter to 6.00 dB in the I/O > Audio menu.

Old thread, indeed. Dead for six years. But what the heck...

What I did was run one guitar into the front input, and my wireless into the right channel of the rear input. Set Input 1 Mode to L+R Sum. Then I'd just turn up the volume knob on whichever guitar I wanted to play.

NOTE: Running Input 1 in L+R Sum mode will drop the signal level by 6 dB. You can compensate for this by setting the global Amp Gain parameter to 6.00 dB in the I/O > Audio menu.
Interesting. Right channel for any reason?

Interesting. Right channel for any reason?
Because the left channel is already being used by the front input. And because you’re using the L+R Sum function to mix them together, so both guitars are instantly available.

Because the left channel is already being used by the front input. And because you’re using the L+R Sum function to mix them together, so both guitars are instantly available.
It worked perfectly!! Thank you very much!!!

Where can i find global Amp Gain parameter to 6.00 dB in the I/O > Audio menu? I don't find it

And where it affect the drop signal level? Front input or rear input? Or both?

Last edited:
Where can i find global Amp Gain parameter to 6.00 dB in the I/O > Audio menu? I don't find it
Sorry. Look in Global > Config.

And where it affect the drop signal level? Front input or rear input? Or both?
It affects the gain of the Amp block. It makes up for the fact that, when you set the input to L+R Sum, the level of the inputs is dropped by 6 dB. You use this so you're still hitting the Amp block with the same signal, so you don't have to mess around with the amp gain in each preset.

Back
Top Bottom