From your POV, what's the most important thing when tweaking your FRFR?

Georgy

Inspired
Ok, let me re-word that a bit..

From you POV, what are some of the more important things to bear in mind when tweaking your FRFR setup/s?

This applies to if/when playing through:
Your studio monitors (if applicable)?
Your personal stage monitor or FRFR speaker/cab (if applicable)?
The PA at the venue?

I know everyone has their own quirks and different methods and whatnot, but for newcomers to going FRFR instead of power amp + cab on stage, it would be good to gauge what fellow players out there have been doing prior to a show, or prior to rehearsal. A lot of guys still prefer the 'feel/push/air movement' etc on stage, which is fine. I'm hoping to gauge a few pointers from the community to see if there are things I should be doing or things I should not be doing from an FRFR point of view.. or both!

Thanks.

Ok, let me re-word that a bit..

From you POV, what are some of the more important things to bear in mind when tweaking your FRFR setup/s?

This applies to if/when playing through:
Your studio monitors (if applicable)?
Your personal stage monitor or FRFR speaker/cab (if applicable)?
The PA at the venue?

I know everyone has their own quirks and different methods and whatnot, but for newcomers to going FRFR instead of power amp + cab on stage, it would be good to gauge what fellow players out there have been doing prior to a show, or prior to rehearsal. A lot of guys still prefer the 'feel/push/air movement' etc on stage, which is fine. I'm hoping to gauge a few pointers from the community to see if there are things I should be doing or things I should not be doing from an FRFR point of view.. or both!

Thanks.

Great Post, Great question. Looking forward to this thread!

Fair point, I kinda assumed this. However, what if the PA is different from venue to venue? What tweaking do you do then?
I use global Output 1 EQ to FOH and global Output 2 EQ for my FRFR to make those kind of adjustments when needed at a gig. I use the same amp and cab blocks for our whole set so it's simple for me to do that. If I was using a bunch of different amps then it would be more difficult. But honestly I've not had to do that much at all. Some stages have been a little more boomy than others so I've cut a little bit in the 80-120Hz range and maybe boost a little in the 1kHz- 4kHz range if I need a bit more highs.

Last edited:
I use Output 1 to FOH. I also use a wireless rig so I can have a listen out front. I can go approx 300 feet before getting drop outs. I walk around a bit and give it a listen. I use the same preset for my "test run" so I have some consistency. I almost never have to tweak. I don't like something in the sound of the FOH I have a quick look at the mix board to see if there is anything strange going on with the channel strip. I rarely have to ask for an adjustment on the channel strip, but when I do I take the time to work with the sound tech rather than just bulldoze him. As long as the channel strip is set flat and no filters are on, it is usually OK. Once in a while the room requires a low cut, like Bishop said.

All of this assumes that the presets have been tweaked a gig volume. Tweaking at gig volume is probably the most important thing. When rehearsing, I just make notes of any presets that need adjustment. I do not want to disrespect the other musicians by burning through rehearsal time adjusting my gear, but that's just me.

I use a CLR for gigs and rehearsals.
My setup sounds exactly the same from gig to gig.
I also use a wireless. Some gigs I don't need any P.A. support, the CLR covers the room nicely.
Sometimes we use our own P.A. and I put the guitar thru the mains and it sounds exactly like my CLR only bigger.
Sometimes we play venues with F.O.H. guys and my guitar always sounds just like my CLR only bigger.
Basically it's a completely worry free experience these days with the AX8 and CLR.
It always sounds great...on stage or out front with no tweaks on my end.

Get the volume up, that's been said above and I still feel it's worth saying another time.
You need the volume when tweaking and when playing to be relatively close if you want to ensure your presets sound the same.

Another important point of going FRFR, is that you want to be in front of the speaker. (well, this applies to CAB+AMP as well).
It sounds obvious, I know, but really try and have the speakers facing your head/ears.
No point having your FRFR behind you on the ground facing the back of your legs, or as a wedge position aiming up at your knee's (like JBL-PRX 600 series do).

Venue PA's I haven't found an issue with as yet. If I know their PA is substandard, then I bring my own FRFR and run it like a backline amp. IMO- Generally the places with the low quality PA's are pretty small anyway and you can get away with having most of your volume coming from the stage.

Lastly, if you are gigging out and about, get a quality FRFR - of which there are no shortage of recommendations of on this forum.
(PS: Good to se others with Fractal + PRS in Melbourne - we are few and far between :))

Guys.. some awesome and insightful responses all round on this thread - super helpful! Really appreciate it all guys, really, thanks heaps.

Lots of simple and honest food for thought. I'm gonna try a little bit of everyone's recommendations. Too good, thanks again :):):)

don't assume your FRFR is actually flat response. many of them aren't. play some music through it and use the global eq to make it sound as flat as possible

True. I found the Friedman ASM-12 to be not as flat response as something like the CLR for example. In the end, I preferred the ASM to the CLR, but that was 2 years ago, before, Quantum, before colour TVs, before the Clinton/Lewinsky scandal, before the Moon-landing.. :p:D

Would love to try the AX8 with a CLR now just to see how it sounds.

Ya, my ASM is not flat at all. Definitely has a low end thump to it which is great for live use to give it that cab punch but not so good for creating presets on. The CLR's are amazing. I keep mine at home to create my presets on and practice at home on. I gig with my XiTone's though. But the CLR's are perfect for creating your presets on. Since I've got them and started using them to create mine soundguys have had to make little to no adjustments on my channel.

When I create patches, I use my powered PA monitor at a high volume to create the patch. I generally use a loop of a guitar riff I will be playing at a show and tweak the preset (or scene) while the loop is running.

My band almost always uses our own PA at all our shows, so I will make minor EQ adjustments in the amp block through the knobs on the top of the AX8 as necessary and save them during sound check.

It has worked wonderfully so far.

Ya, my ASM is not flat at all. Definitely has a low end thump to it which is great for live use to give it that cab punch but not so good for creating presets on.

When creating presets have you used the Low Cut, and if so, has that helped to accommodate for the difference? I have the ASM-12 as well and love it but just wondered about others' experiences with creating presets.

When creating presets have you used the Low Cut, and if so, has that helped to accommodate for the difference? I have the ASM-12 as well and love it but just wondered about others' experiences with creating presets.
I don't use the ASM to create my presets on. I create them in my CLR's. My ASM just stays at our rehearsal room for band practice. But I do use the low cut on it to practice with.

Last edited:
Don't mean to hijack the thread, but my questions is somewhat related. When using a preset created in a studio (ie Preset of the Day) through my ASM it sounds like poop and I can't ever get them dialed in to sound remotely close to the 'studio' version. It is all bassy and dead sounding. Anyone have a pointer or 2 as to what I need to be tweaking to get it closer to the original?

this was a great read...I guess I thought making adjustments at a low volume was a good thing but after reading these messages I will deff revert to tweaking at gigging volume :)

Back
Top Bottom