From SV20 amp model to an actual SV20H…..

lqdsnddist

Axe-Master
Thought it was cool getting the reworked Marshall’s and the SV20 in the more recent firmware’s, they sound fantastic.

But….. came across a deal on the SV20H and man…. That thing is a monster.

Just looks awesome with the vintage Plexi style, it’s not that big physically and 20watts might not sound like much but it’s LOUD. It’s a non-master volume amps and you want it dirty, you turn it up and the walls rattle.

It’s one heck of an experience though, such a percussive felt on the edge of breakup cleans, guitar volume pot gives you a world of classic tones that you wouldn’t think such a basic amp would cover.

Did I mention its LOUD ?

Totally unnecessary, impractical and quite expensive for a 20 watt amp, but I’m quite smitten with it.

See so many folks selling off their amps and yeah, the Axe can sound just as good through a PA or recorded, and is way more practical, better value and other other superlative one could think of, but all that aside….plugging into a proper (mini) plexi is such an experience. I think I for one will be holding onto this amp for some time to come

My Fuzz Face finally sounds like a Fuzz Face is supposed to sound, aka, how Jimi’s fuzz face sounded.

Normally play a fuzz into a Fender amp etc and it’s harsh and shrill, or, a muddy farty mess. Works pretty well onto the Axe models but of course doesn’t clean up the same, and it’s easy to get some clipping and red indicator on the inputs if you dime the fuzz

Into the Marshall though it’s glorious. Wooly but not muddy, cleans up to spanking clean or ragging saturated Woodstock levels of fuzzy feedback.

The amp is so thick in the mids it just really blends with the fuzz beautifully and sound like I’ve always wanted a fuzz to sound

Only downside ? It’s LOUD. I don’t know how Jimi had 2 or 3 100 watt heads behind him because even set to the 5 watt setting I feel I’m going to go deaf lol.

Again, totally can emulate a plexi pretty darn well with modern gear, but there is a reason these amps still are as popular as ever 50 or more years later, they are the sound of 60s/70s rock.

Not hair metal, not thrash, not djent, but Hendrix, live Zeppelin, Ac/Dc, early VH et al are 100% in the amp.

Basically it’s the sound of my youth, only took me like 30 some years to finally get around to buying the amp for it

Go away....

lol, I have been looking at that amp since it came out, and the last thing I need is another amp.. YOU ARE NOT HELPING!!!

Along with my DRRI I have a 100W Vintage Modern & matching 425a cab, an Orange AD30 and the 20W Silver Jubilee.. so I don't NEED another amp, but the SV20 would be it... Rattle your teeth and enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom