from single cab to stereo cab - THE MOVE

1poorplayer

Power User
I've been playing tonight in the studio , and loving my AX8 , and I've been quite happy using a single cab , as I'm the kind of guy who likes to keep things as simple as possible. Anyways , I'm enjoying a preset I made around the Friedman Small Box , and wanted to get a little more clarity to it and bring out some cleaner mid-highs , so , I decided to cycle thru some cabs until I found one that did just that.

I kept my favorite stock cab that I was originally using and added a cleaner brighter cab to it , at a lower level , so it would "help" the first cab. Sounds amazing.

Just wanted to share the experience. I think it's an evolutionary process. Start with a cab that you like the most ( this is SO important. If you don't like a matched cab for an amp , find one you like. ) , and then build on top of it with another to compliment it - if you can't seem to tweak it to sound exactly the way you want with the controls.

This AX8 is pure awesomeness.

Are you double tracking? or using cab lab? or?

No. I'm just talking about getting a great core sound - direct , no doubling , panning , or recording techniques.
I was originally playing thru a single , great-sounding cab , that I decided upon after scrolling thru the entire stock cab library , while listening directly to my monitor speakers. Once I found my favorite cab , I went thru every parameter in the amp block that I felt comfortable tweaking , and did so.
Then , while later playing with my band , I felt my sound needed a touch more clarity , but I didn't want to lose the sound I had created , so I decided to add a second cab ; one that would ring a little clearer and brighter , and VOILA. I changed the cab block to stereo , added the second cab I summed the two cabs , so they would overlap and mix , and turned the volume of the new cab down , so it would only "compliment" my main cab. Then turned the mixer output , on the right side of AX8edit up to match my original volume. ( I should say I did most of my cab search and adjustment in AX8edit. )​
Which BTW , if anyone from Fractal reads this , It sure would be nice if the cab list page would remain on the computer screen AFTER you've chosen a different cab. - When a user is done selecting Cabs , and hopping around , they can X the page out when they are done. I kept comparing different Cabs in the 20's numbers with ones in the 100's. Kind of a pain in the buttocks when the list keeps disappearing.
Hope this explains my situation better. I'm new with Fractal and I'm still learning from the veterans around here. Great unit.

No. I'm just talking about getting a great core sound - direct , no doubling , panning , or recording techniques.
I was originally playing thru a single , great-sounding cab , that I decided upon after scrolling thru the entire stock cab library , while listening directly to my monitor speakers. Once I found my favorite cab , I went thru every parameter in the amp block that I felt comfortable tweaking , and did so.
Then , while later playing with my band , I felt my sound needed a touch more clarity , but I didn't want to lose the sound I had created , so I decided to add a second cab ; one that would ring a little clearer and brighter , and VOILA. I changed the cab block to stereo , added the second cab I summed the two cabs , so they would overlap and mix , and turned the volume of the new cab down , so it would only "compliment" my main cab. Then turned the mixer output , on the right side of AX8edit up to match my original volume. ( I should say I did most of my cab search and adjustment in AX8edit. )​
Which BTW , if anyone from Fractal reads this , It sure would be nice if the cab list page would remain on the computer screen AFTER you've chosen a different cab. - When a user is done selecting Cabs , and hopping around , they can X the page out when they are done. I kept comparing different Cabs in the 20's numbers with ones in the 100's. Kind of a pain in the buttocks when the list keeps disappearing.
Hope this explains my situation better. I'm new with Fractal and I'm still learning from the veterans around here. Great unit.

From Michael Pickens:

To quickly audition cabs when using AX8-Edit, hold down the CTRL (Windows) or CMD (Mac) key when opening the cabinet picker window. This will *pin* the window open allowing you to see all the cabs and freely chose between them without the window closing. Conversely you can simply select the pushpin icon in the top-right window of the cabinet select picker window to manually pin or unpin the window. This works for all picker windows.

Back
Top Bottom