From GSP2101 to Axe FX II = i miss some stuff and it's 20 Years ago...

MadMac

Inspired
Hello,
well have my Axe now 2 Weeks and i love the MAchine.
I played the Digitech GSP2101 with Footcontroller since 1995 and had never Problems with it!
It did the Job every Gig and also in Studio i had awesome Sounds and newer a Problem to record.
Also it still has amazing features compared to the Stuff that you can get now...

So before i ask my Question here is my Gear:
My main axe is a Parker Fly Deluxe 1996 in Black and 5 different Höfner from early 70's.
My Processor is GSP 2101 with second Processor and Footcontroller. (Awesone Machine Years ahead of competitors... still)
My Amp was Marshall EL 34 100/100
My Cab's are 2 x Mesa Boogie 2x12 with EV & Celestion

Now i sold my Cab's and Amp but i never will sell my GSP ;-)
i bought two dB Flexsys12 for my Axe and for the Prize they are great!
Now i still have Problems to translate my old Settings to the Axe! I miss some important functions... maybe i oversaw them... maybe there are not possible on Axe...

For example: when it comes to assign a Footswitch to function it is pure pain to do...
There are many easy things that i miss on Axe... and it much more complicated to do on Axe then on GSP.
Just wonder why it is so complicate on Axe...

One Example:
On GSP if i want to switch a Effect on/off then i press Link on GSP, press the Btn on Footcotroller change the Value 1-127 or just on/off press link again and done.
So and if i want to assign Chorus & Delay to one Btn. just do it again on Delay and all is fine... that's pretty straight forward compared to MFC101!!!
There is a lot more that i can do on GSP but i can't do on AXE....

Unanswered Question:
1. How can i switch two or more Effects with one Btn on my MCF101 without using Scenes?
2. How can i change Vol & Delay time with a Expression Pedal at same Time? = Answer in the Manual - oversaw this

Most Important:
3. On my GSP if i switch from one Preset to the next one i could tell the Delay to stay until it's over... like i have a Lead Sound with heavy Delay on Preset2 and switch back to Preset 1 i could tell the GSP to keep the Delay until it's done... like 1 or 2 seconds... so that i could play the rhythm and the Delay fades out like normal...

4. Where can i find Chorus and other Effect Settings? The Blocks are empty. Are there no basic Blocks for the Effects ? Also i miss this on Amp's as well.... ok i can save this from the Presets that came with the Axe but it's a lot of work to do... are there no basic Blocks for each Effects ?

5. Is it possible to switch the AXE from 48kHz to 44kHz ?

Ok thats all @ the moment...
Many thxx for your help!

Have a nice Day cheers

Stefan

Last edited:
I'm sure a lot of people will chime in here, but most of what you ask is in the manual :) Also, there are a lot of good videos on Youtube on how to get started both with the Axe and the MCF.

Its actually really easy with the MFC/AFX - dont program the MFC, program the AFX. Make a note of the CC# transmitted by the button you want to use, then on the AFX go to I/O, scroll right to CTRL, and scrowl down to find the FX blocks you want to control. Change the corresponding number to the CC# of the MFC button. If you want more than one FX controlled by the same button - change both FXs in the IO menu to the same number.

Regards the spillover of delay - you can only do this if you have the same delay block in both presets your switching from (delay one and two for instance are different blocks). They dont have to be the same parameters just the same block. If you want a different delay on the second patch thats fine - but you need the same block as well. Then go to Global, first page, and change the spillover to what you want - options are reverb, delay or both. I use bot.

To insert a block, go to the location you want to put it, and turn the value knob - that cycles through all the available blocks. when you have the one you want - press enter and the block will be inserted.

Unfortunately you cant change the sample rate - its locked to 48Khz.

Last edited:
I had a 2101 as well, Artist edition. Put some softer tubes in it (Sovteks) and always had a tube in the circuit. I really loved that thing. Mine didn't have the second processor - back then, they were expensive enough! Translate the dollars for inflation, I bet a 2101 was in Axe-Fx range price-wise.

But no doubt the Axe makes it look sad, despite the good memories.

HA ! Yes the 2101LE was way in front of it's time, had one for years with a hell lot of pleasure. But, have to admit now that routing is quite a bit more "ergonomic" in Axe fx than with the 2101 and, frankly, since the Axe II V7, in matters of sound the 2101 is way behind now.
One single patch in the Axe can contain at large what could contain a double algorythm patch in the 2101, so spillover is not so much an issue anymore. Thumbs up anyway as the 2101 absolutely was a superb engine (and still is BTW).
There's one thing I miss, but just a little bit, in the Axe; in the 2101 you could have multiple CC assigned to one same variable. This functionnality could make it function like a combined "X/Y and scenes" option for the 2101, just more possibilities.
The whammy in the 2101 rules IMHO. I'd not get back to 2101 anymore for sure, it's just not comparable anymore, but kept mine for at least 18 months after having made the step to FA.
Cheers

1. Assign the effect on/off (CTRL menu) to the same cc# or use the bypass modifier and an external controller.
2. looks like you already have it
3. Use scenes and 2 delays would be the easiest smoothest way. You could also use spillover between presets, but you have to plan that out in advance. Using scenes is much easier.
4. you can add blocks in any preset you wish and route them in ways the 2101 never could- see section 4.2 of the manual. If you want basic settings use the type parameter as a starting point.
5. No.

Hello,
well have my Axe now 2 Weeks and i love the MAchine.
I played the Digitech GSP2101 with Footcontroller since 1995 and had never Problems with it!
It did the Job every Gig and also in Studio i had awesome Sounds and newer a Problem to record.
Also it still has amazing features compared to the Stuff that you can get now...

So before i ask my Question here is my Gear:
My main axe is a Parker Fly Deluxe 1996 in Black and 5 different Höfner from early 70's.
My Processor is GSP 2101 with second Processor and Footcontroller. (Awesone Machine Years ahead of competitors... still)
My Amp was Marshall EL 34 100/100
My Cab's are 2 x Mesa Boogie 2x12 with EV & Celestion

Now i sold my Cab's and Amp but i never will sell my GSP ;-)
i bought two dB Flexsys12 for my Axe and for the Prize they are great!
Now i still have Problems to translate my old Settings to the Axe! I miss some important functions... maybe i oversaw them... maybe there are not possible on Axe...

For example: when it comes to assign a Footswitch to function it is pure pain to do...
There are many easy things that i miss on Axe... and it much more complicated to do on Axe then on GSP.
Just wonder why it is so complicate on Axe...

One Example:
On GSP if i want to switch a Effect on/off then i press Link on GSP, press the Btn on Footcotroller change the Value 1-127 or just on/off press link again and done.
So and if i want to assign Chorus & Delay to one Btn. just do it again on Delay and all is fine... that's pretty straight forward compared to MFC101!!!
There is a lot more that i can do on GSP but i can't do on AXE....

Unanswered Question:
1. How can i switch two or more Effects with one Btn on my MCF101 without using Scenes?
2. How can i change Vol & Delay time with a Expression Pedal at same Time? = Answer in the Manual - oversaw this

Most Important:
3. On my GSP if i switch from one Preset to the next one i could tell the Delay to stay until it's over... like i have a Lead Sound with heavy Delay on Preset2 and switch back to Preset 1 i could tell the GSP to keep the Delay until it's done... like 1 or 2 seconds... so that i could play the rhythm and the Delay fades out like normal...

4. Where can i find Chorus and other Effect Settings? The Blocks are empty. Are there no basic Blocks for the Effects ? Also i miss this on Amp's as well.... ok i can save this from the Presets that came with the Axe but it's a lot of work to do... are there no basic Blocks for each Effects ?

Ok thats all @ the moment...
Many thxx for your help!

Have a nice Day cheers

Stefan

The Axe-Fx is easier for basic setups like you describe (although it can be as complex as you want it to be) its just you are more familiar with the Digitech. I know because I kinda went thru the same thing with a different setup. Just hang in there and it will become second nature.

Assign an IA on the MFC to be one of the externals. Assign the bypass control on the effects in the patch to that external. Now when that IA is on the effects are on, when that IA is off the effects are off.

I'll note that scenes do this in a far better way IMHO.

Same as above but the external is one of the variable controllers on your MFC this time instead of an IA switch.

What you're trying to do is preserve delay spill over. The wiki covers it here: Spillover (reverb/delay) - Axe-Fx II Wiki -- again noting that Scenes make this way easier to do than ever before.

No. It's fixed at 48 kHz.

Thank you all for your answers!
... it look's like i got it :)
love the machine but sometimes it's not so easy to figure out and need's some more steps ... than others...
... the time is flying away when i discover new possibilities on the Axe.

I was using a GSP2101 for a few years on its own.
Then I got a Mesa Boogie TriAxis and a Marshall JMP-1 and used this crazy Y-Cord routing I found online so I could use either PreAmp with the GSP for Effects.
Basically the FX Loop Return was 100% Left For Mesa TriAxis and 100% Right for JMP-1
That all ran out to a Peavey Classic 50/50 tube power amp into a Marshall 1922 Cabinet.
The GSP was a really cool piece of Hardware for it's time.

I used a 2101 for years. I even owned a couple of backup units, which I eventually sold to help buy my first Axe, which was the Ultra. I still have my original main unit which I have the 2nd processor in, and like you, I would never sell it. I don't use it anymore, but I could never part with it. I even transferred several presets from it into the Axe Ultra, and then the Axe II. The only reason I decided to get the Axe Ultra originally was because I wanted a more modern unit that was easier to program. I had originally tried the GSP-1101 thinking it would be a modern replacement for the 2101...it wasn't. Man, I hated the 1101. It was just sad in comparison to the 2101, so I sold it too as part of my sell off to get an Ultra, which I never dreamed I'd be able to afford. It's funny how much you can get together though when you sell off gear you're not using and don't really need anymore.

As much as you like the 2101. Look at the axe in a fresh new light. You are gravitating more into the world of midi. Which once you understand it better you have better control. I came from a gt-8 and I'd never go back. With a good foot controller you can do anything you want.

Even though the 2101 was clearly a model for the layout of the Axe, I find routing generally easier to accomplish in the Axe, though advanced setups might be a different game.

In terms of raw amp sounds, persistent tweaking gets you a lot further with the Axe than it did with the 2101, which had a few basic sounds and that was it. The world of possibilities with the Axe-FX II is endless, by comparison.

I had a shiny red 2101LE and it took a lot of effort and a pencil drawing to route a preset, and makes doing the same on the Axe-Fx super super easy. I'd still rather be using Axe-Edit, though :)

In terms of sound quality, the Axe's effects have much more character and recording is much easier/cheaper now.

I don't miss the 2101, but if the Axe-Fx had not come into existence, I'd still be using it along with other overly-complex solutions.

Just wanted to chime in - I'm also a 2101 user/lover/misser. I had a (complex) rig that had three main preamps, and two power stages in it. I used the GSP-2101 primarily for clean/edgy sounds, and sounds that required a lot of F/X. I also used a Mesa Boogie Triaxis for edgy/saturated tones. Both were rigged via my Digital Music GCX and Ground control to patch into a Boogie 50/50. Lord knows - it was great. My third amp was a Marshall JCM-800 (model 2210). I also used the GCX to route input to this beast, and switch a Quadraverb, DBX-166, and Huxh IICx into its effects loop. I ran with two stereo 1960a cabinets as well. Inside 2x12's were for the for the mono Marshall. Outside 2x12's were for the 2101/Triaxis/50-50. I quite obviously had way too much gear. On the other hand, I could sound like nearly anybody/anything. The gear was so overbearing that I had to hire my then teenaged son and his buddy to 'roadie' for me, less I pull another muscle/tendon before a show.

I updated my 2101 to an Artist board. Nice. All the mixers available MAY have made it a tad more configurable that the AFX2, but in reality, these days I use a pretty straight chain:

Gtr -> (AFX2) Compressor - Drive - Amp - Cabinet - Chorus - Delay - Reverb. Fairly mundane, but functional and usable for 95% of what I need.

That said, I have a 12 string patch on the 2101 that I have not been able to duplicate yet. Used it on 'Come To My Window' by Melissa Etheridge, and a few others. Mebbe I should fire up the 2101 and see what I did!

Thanks for the extremely cool memories. I also still have my unit - I feel like it served me well 'in battle' and can't make myself get rif of it... ;^}

That said, I have a 12 string patch on the 2101 that I have not been able to duplicate yet. Used it on 'Come To My Window' by Melissa Etheridge, and a few others. Mebbe I should fire up the 2101 and see what I did!

Thanks for the extremely cool memories. I also still have my unit - I feel like it served me well 'in battle' and can't make myself get rif of it... ;^}

Factory Patch 154 sightly modified ... maybe - Pitch>Chor4>4Tap

I'm porting my Sounds over to Axe with Axe Edit and some really sound better than the Digitech... some i still can't figure out.
All my Acoustic Sounds for my Western and Semi Acoustic still sound different... try now without Cab and only use Amps to get close to it.
well @ least i'm very happy with my Axe now :)

Assign an IA on the MFC to be one of the externals. Assign the bypass control on the effects in the patch to that external. Now when that IA is on the effects are on, when that IA is off the effects are off.

I'll note that scenes do this in a far better way IMHO.

But that method is for global and not each preset. ON a POD HD, you can easily assign multiple FX to an IA and that can change on a preset by preset basis. I was going to start a thread on stuff I miss from POD. Then I saw this.

I agree that scenes can resolve this in most cases. Not all though. Lets say someone uses 2 amps, with X and Y and 2 drives with x and y to get a wide variety of drive sounds.
Now they want an IA to kick on delay and phaser. Can't do it.

Heck in the POD, you can assign multiple CCs on external devices and midi channels per preset. In Fact I may look into using the FBV to control more of the Axe II stuff or other external stuff.

Heck on a JTV variax I can control amp drive with volume knob on guitar and delay mix with tone knob. I am hoping they open that up to control external CCs. BTW that is preset by preset basis as well.

I am not bashing the Axe/MFC combo but there is room for improvement on the midi side. Scenes was a GREAT first step!!!

Back
Top Bottom