from FW10.09 to 10.10: how to keep same tone ?

trb

Experienced
Hi all

i understand from the threads the difference with "input drive" and "overdrive" on few amps such as mesa and dumble-like at least.

I experienced some differences in tone and on a particular patch I download : N°1347 USA IIC+ Norm, which I like for santana-ish tone:

- With 10.09 i had the "drive" at 5, i really like the tone
- with 10.10, to reach a similar tone, I had to put "input drive" at 7 and "overdrive" at 8

is it normal from your own experience ? do i miss something ?:? just wondering ...

just saw some similar topics in the thread "Understanding Input Drive and Overdrive" from Cliff, page 7:
so need to put "overdrive" at 8 to have the about same same tone ...
well ok, any other feed back guys ?

just saw some similar topics in the thread "Understanding Input Drive and Overdrive" from Cliff, page 7:
so need to put "overdrive" at 8 to have the about same same tone ...
well ok, any other feed back guys ?
That's about it. If you're using one of the affected amp models, setting Overdrive to 8 and setting Input Drive to your original Drive setting will give you the same tone.

Yes this is the way I found from my tests. It seems that I need to push a little more the "input drive" than in the original 10.09...but it was just a etst with my ears... so error margins !

I found out that I needed to push the overdrive higher than 8.00, in order to get the same-ish tone as I had pre FW10.10. Turned the knob to 9.00, and now we`re talking! ;)

Are you sure you didn't have the boost on or the input trim bumped a little? An eq slightly different in the high's can also affect this. Also check your previous fw change pre-amp levels. Anything that may drive the amp can do the same. Things for the most part however also feel a bit less "gainy" for me as well in certain amps (mostly my IIc+), but I've been able to dial them back in rather easily.

I meant pre-amp "effect" levels. Anything can drive the amp block.

What Cliff said. He's the man.

Last edited:
i checked all the blocks settings (amp, no drive, no Eq, ...) and it was exactly the same as in 10.09.
really needs to push the overdrive to 8 at least, to get the same-ish tone

i installed back and forth 10.09 and 10.10 to test. it was simpler in 10.09 with only one param (drive) to set, and liked it... but 10.10 appears, as Cliff explained, closer to the actual amp configuration (and additional triptik's, reverb improved...)
so keep going on 10.10 and try to recover the same sound, need to continue tweaking to understand these 2 "drive" dependency

Back
Top Bottom