From AX8 to Axe-Fx III

Anto

Inspired
Hi guys...
I' play exclusively my AX8 since 2 years, Live and in Studio... no more amps for me.
Live I play only to FOH, with In-Ears and sometimes a stage monitor.
I have planned to buy the new FM3, but this week, I have changed my mind and I have ordered the Axe-FXIII and the FC-12.

I know, the Axe-FXIII is the best modeler available today, I'm Fractal addicted since 2 years now and I couldn't be more satisfied... But for those of you who have, like me, the AX8 and the Axe-FXIII, do you think live, direct to FOH, my tones will be much better than my AX8 ones ?

I have read a lot, so I know the answer probably, but I am so exited about this Axe-FXIII, which I should have tuesday with his FC-12, that I would like to have some experience directly from you.

Thank you.

Yeah the sound will be better. (you will feel a difference also)
Goes beyond that the drives are better with more options. For me the wah is way better there again more options within the given block. The cab block on the III is like having Cab Lab on board. Without going crazy and typing out every little detail the III is just crazy powerful.

But--

Just because the III is close as it gets doesn't mean the AX-8 suddenly started sounding bad.
I have a III and still have my AX-8, the FM-3 is tempting, and in the future I may still get one but as of right now I still enjoy my AX-8.
For recording it's a no brain-er III all the way. For live?? Depends. That all in one unit is hard to resist and it still sounds great (even to the other guitar players in the audience) And I think on some level that's what we are worried about the most.

The audience- long as the band performs well they wont care or even notice the difference. But guitar players, were worried about putting our best foot forward for are own benefit of coarse, and the other 2-5 people in the audience who also play.

John

Last edited:
Cliff stated a while back before the release of the iii that the quantum modeling had gotten the amp modeling so good there wasn’t really much to improve on that was audible.
The AX8 was closer to the amps it modeled than other tube amps of the same make and model. You get more variation due to manufacturing tolerances than due to the digital modeling.
I’m not sure how the Axe iii can be better, more flexible and easy to adjust maybe but not more amp like.
I could be wrong through.

I’m not sure how the Axe iii can be better, more flexible and easy to adjust maybe but not more amp like.
I could be wrong through.
I use the Axe-Fx III live to FOH with in-ear monitoring and had used the AX8 for almost a year prior to the Axe III. There is absolutely a difference in the tone between the two. I thought the AX8 sounded great and it was hard to talk myself into taking the plunge, but I'm glad I did. Both the in-ear and in-house tone is noticeably "better". Hard to say it's better when the AX8 sounds as great as it does - but it is!

I believe part of my experience is the ability to mix cabs which helps give me the feel I prefer quicker and easier than using Cab Lab. But even when comparing the amps themselves, using the same cabs in the Axe III, the Axe III simply sounds and "better". The added effects, not found in the AX8, are a huge bonus and actually one of the main deciding factors for me.

Thanks a lot to you all... I don't want to sell my AX8, I really love this machine, and the fact that the Ares modelling is in the Axe-FXIII, doesn't mean to me that the AX8 will suddenly start to sound bad.
I just wanted to know if the differences, soundwise, between these 2 units is something we can hear, or feel, or not.

Thanks guys... I will have the III this tuesday, or wednesday... I'm so exited ;-)

Hi guys...
I' play exclusively my AX8 since 2 years, Live and in Studio... no more amps for me.
Live I play only to FOH, with In-Ears and sometimes a stage monitor.
I have planned to buy the new FM3, but this week, I have changed my mind and I have ordered the Axe-FXIII and the FC-12.

I know, the Axe-FXIII is the best modeler available today, I'm Fractal addicted since 2 years now and I couldn't be more satisfied... But for those of you who have, like me, the AX8 and the Axe-FXIII, do you think live, direct to FOH, my tones will be much better than my AX8 ones ?

I have read a lot, so I know the answer probably, but I am so exited about this Axe-FXIII, which I should have tuesday with his FC-12, that I would like to have some experience directly from you.

Thank you.
I have both the Axe FX III and the AX8. I use the AX8 for live, and Axe FX III for studio. I do notice a little bit of a change in the sound when going back to AX8, but that being said, I get amazing tones with my AX8 all the time

I just have received the AXEIII and FC12 yersteday... What an amazing machine... I keep my AX8, but the AXEIII is really fantastic, the sound is more refined, more "real" I would say... AX8 still a very good unit, but this III is on another level.

I just have received the AXEIII and FC12 yersteday... What an amazing machine... I keep my AX8, but the AXEIII is really fantastic, the sound is more refined, more "real" I would say... AX8 still a very good unit, but this III is on another level.

You're going to have a lot of fun dialing in new sounds. I have had mine 4 months, and I am still finding new things to do with it and improvements to my earlier presets. Welcome aboard, and enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom