Fripp interview

Been away for a few days. This thread took off a bit. Most definitely the best Crimson was the Larks Tongue, Starless And Bible Black and Red era IMO. The song Starless still makes the hairs stand up. There are gems throughout the whole period from ITCOTCK, but those albums are perfect. In some ways I separate the 70’s Crimson from the 80’s and later in almost every way. Mostly the level of music technology advanced so rapidly and the Discipline KC was on a new level with Belew. I never got to see the 70’s Crimson so I can’t compare being there live. I’ve seen the 80’s and 90’s Crimson a good many times. A few of the shows were musical religious experiences for me.

Without Bruford I lost some interest. It seemed KC was best when there was a member who would stand up to Fripp. From what I read no one was going to tell Bruford how or what to play. Then the unceremonious leaving behind of Belew turned me off. I wanted to see the latest incarnation, but I suppose besides not having quite the interest and then the shutdown kept it from happening.

As far as Fripp and the “third person” thing, that is as much the fans and industry as the man himself. With Frippertronics everyone just referred to him as “Fripp” or “The Fripp” in an objective way. I think he just went with it.😀 Maybe it’s a British thing. A lot of Brits still refer to Pink Floyd as “The Pink Floyd” or “The Floyd”. I dont know, I realize that PF is a band and not a person so it’s not quite the same.

I know one thing, I will miss bands like KC from here on. There hasn’t been anything that exciting in music for a long time. There’s good stuff, but it all is lacking or derivative in someway. Just my opinion.

Oh and BTW the posting of the Genesis clips are great. That’s what I’m talking about. Still makes the hairs stand up on end. I love the way Collins gets up calmly after killing it on the drums and then nails Afterglow. What an era.👍

Thanks for sharing that interview link, I really enjoyed hearing the man talk! So rare that we get to hear him say a word!! I have seen them I think 4 times, all in the 90's, and every show was phenomenal IMO!!! At HOB in LA, I was on second floor and between sets, Belew came through the stairway door and went up to the bar asking for a beer. The bartender said $8 or something like that! I immediately stepped up (nobody else in that area at the time) and said I would be happy to buy this mans beer and started rattling off all the great work he had done and folk he had played with! Adrian then chimed in "And I have a few solo albums as well"! We both laughed and the bartender grudgingly gave him his beer free of charge. I then said to Adrian, can you sign my Fillmore poster (I had it in hand hoping I could get it signed) from your gig there a week ago! He said no. I asked if he would take it to the dressing room and have Robert sign it, he said no! I said, "OK, well thanks for the great show so far and looking forward to the second set.". He trotted off with beer to the dressing room and that was that.

As for the "Toya and Robert's Sunday Lunch", I find it fun to watch! I love that he has such a wild child for a wife (perfect ying yang) and the fact that she is pulling out his inner freak is I think fabulous. The other thing I really like about it is, watching him F up many of the licks and make mistakes! Makes me feel like I can actually play guitar if this guy (a legend) can't nail some of these relatively easy licks! I guess it allows me to accept my shortcomings with less disdain for self ;~)) Anyway, I have only seen maybe 10 of the lunch bits so far, but they have all made me smile, sometimes for the entire time!!!

Thanks for sharing that interview link, I really enjoyed hearing the man talk! So rare that we get to hear him say a word!! I have seen them I think 4 times, all in the 90's, and every show was phenomenal IMO!!! At HOB in LA, I was on second floor and between sets, Belew came through the stairway door and went up to the bar asking for a beer. The bartender said $8 or something like that! I immediately stepped up (nobody else in that area at the time) and said I would be happy to buy this mans beer and started rattling off all the great work he had done and folk he had played with! Adrian then chimed in "And I have a few solo albums as well"! We both laughed and the bartender grudgingly gave him his beer free of charge. I then said to Adrian, can you sign my Fillmore poster (I had it in hand hoping I could get it signed) from your gig there a week ago! He said no. I asked if he would take it to the dressing room and have Robert sign it, he said no! I said, "OK, well thanks for the great show so far and looking forward to the second set.". He trotted off with beer to the dressing room and that was that.

As for the "Toya and Robert's Sunday Lunch", I find it fun to watch! I love that he has such a wild child for a wife (perfect ying yang) and the fact that she is pulling out his inner freak is I think fabulous. The other thing I really like about it is, watching him F up many of the licks and make mistakes! Makes me feel like I can actually play guitar if this guy (a legend) can't nail some of these relatively easy licks! I guess it allows me to accept my shortcomings with less disdain for self ;~)) Anyway, I have only seen maybe 10 of the lunch bits so far, but they have all made me smile, sometimes for the entire time!!!
I love the immediate shout of “Bullocks” when he doesn’t quite hit it. I agree with you and the Sunday Lunch stuff. I have an older musician friend who doesn’t do internet (believe it or not) and I showed him some of the videos and at first he was put off by Toyah’s antics thinking it was below Fripp, but a few days later we were talking and he had a change of heart and lightened up.

Who would have ever thought that Fripp would be living the young male adolescent dream of a “wrapped in plastic wrap”, silicone large breasted woman at age 76. Sort of fits in a strange “frippy” way.🥴

…He was never a conventional person.

Back
Top Bottom