Friendly reminder: tell your loved ones you love them

unix-guy

Master of RTFM
I got a call out of the blue today that my mother-in-law was in the hospital, unresponsive. My wife was at an appointment and not able to be disturbed.

An hour later, she was on life support but brain dead.

Now, she's gone. :(

She was living in another state. We last saw her several months ago, and she was planning to visit for Easter to meet her newest great grandson (my grandson) when my daughter's family would also be here from Texas. Sadly, they won't have that chance to meet...

Even sadder... Today was her 72nd birthday.

Tell your people you love them. Tomorrow is not promised.

EDIT:

This post is a year old now... It got bumped today. The intent of the message is still true.

Last edited:
I got a call out of the blue today that my mother-in-law was in the hospital, unresponsive. My wife was at an appointment and not able to be disturbed.

She was living in another state. We last saw her several months ago, and she was planning to visit for Easter to meet her newest great grandson (my grandson) when my daughter's family would also be here from Texas. Sadly, they won't have that chance to meet...

Man sorry to hear that news. Life can change in a flash.
I now that all to well !!!
Tell the people you care about how special they are to you. Prayers go out to you and your Family

My condolences. That is very tragic. Thank you for the reminder.

Life indeed happens to you while you make plans. The stability we think we enjoy is just an illusion brought upon us through our short lives, when in reality we stand on a knife's edge. So yeah, I fully agree with the OP, never take your friends and loved ones for granted.

Sorry to hear that Unix-guy - hope your wife is ok.
Thanks for the reminder.
Pauly

That happened so fast! I'm truly sorry to hear this news, you guys must still be in shock.

I lost both my parents at a young age, so I do echo your advice. And you never know what tomorrow brings.

Praying for you guys!

Sorry to hear that - my condolences. My parents are both 78 and live 3000 miles away - I make a point to face time them every week. But I also know at this point that something could happen any day to them. So its hard to think sometimes when I hang up - will this be the last time I speak to one of them? Sorry again for your loss.

If its any comfort to you, with these sudden passings I always take great comfort those people were spared a long great suffering. My mother struggled against cancer for half a year and in the end it was in vain. Far far better if she had been spared all that pain. So yeah, it sucks to the people who are left behind if they cannot say goodbye, but mercifully quick is how I would like to go.

Take it for what its worth.

sorry to hear. no one can ever prepare for anything like that.

i lost my parents at 20 and 25. found my dad dead in the back yard, my mom died in a hospital an hour after we just talked in person when i left for work.

that changed my perspective on a lot of things. people don't understand why i am how i am for certain life aspects, until something similar happens to them, and i usually get a text like "omg i understand, i'm so sorry for treating you that way..."

while i don't think we can leave the house every day like it's the last time we'll see each other ever, it's nice to take time and appreciate things more often than the holiday days that force us to.

life is fleeting. we are all awesome in our own ways. recognize it, tell each other it, and honestly society would be in a much better place in general. the focus is way too negative lately. we should all be happy!

Back
Top Bottom