Friend of mine just got his guitar stolen

Rhiza

Inspired
I was just about to go to sleep and decided to check my mails and facebook. I read his facebook update, he seemed to be in a bad mood so I decided to be a friend and ask him if everything was ok.
He said that he sat outside with his guitar, went inside for couple of seconds, and when he came back, his guitar was gone...
He worked so hard and saved up money for about a year to afford his ibanez rg prestige uv 777.
Now some douchebag stole it just for quick money.
It's so unfair and he does not deserve this. I just feel so angry and sad.
I'm gonna do the usual, write couple of forums threads and check the auction sites.

Damn some people are just plain mean...

That's shitty. I had a really nice 7-string stolen from me once, too. It's not one of my favorite feelings in the world. Luckily, it made its way back to me about a year or so later. Hopefully, your friend can locate it quickly. If it isn't found in the next week or so, maybe you can post the serial number here so the rest of us can keep an eye out for it.

Always awful to read this sort of thing.

I'd suggest to him that he calls all of the pawn shops in his and the surrounding areas. Provide them with a description of the guitar and its serial number. Inform them that it's been reported to the Police. It provides them with a serious incentive to call if someone tries to sell it. Would be a good idea to use the local classifieds also. I had some gear stolen a couple of years back and posted a WTB ad for that type of equipment. Suckers tried to sell it back to me.

Also take to forums such as sevenstring.org. The online community can be indispensable and, quite frankly, borderline militant when you're looking for stolen gear.

Scout out all the nearest pawn shops - my sisters are cops, and they said that usually things like guitars etc. are hocked for cash pretty much straight away at the nearest pawn shops or pubs. Most thieves aren't after the item per se, they want to convert it to cash as quick as possible for drugs/alcohol etc.

Also, scan the Craigslist and eBay listings in your are in the coming days.

Lame. I've never had my gear stolen, knock wood. It spends most of its time in my home studio.

How many of us insure our gear? I've considered something like Music Pro Insurance https://www.musicproinsurance.com just for added peace of mind if a guitar got stolen, I spill beer on the AxeFX or whatever.

Scout out all the nearest pawn shops - my sisters are cops, and they said that usually things like guitars etc. are hocked for cash pretty much straight away at the nearest pawn shops or pubs. Most thieves aren't after the item per se, they want to convert it to cash as quick as possible for drugs/alcohol etc.

Also, scan the Craigslist and eBay listings in your are in the coming days.
in my state, pawn shops have a 21-day hold on most items, including guitars.. so they can be validated against the "stolen items" list the cops have. If there's a match, bingo!
Recommend the friend report it stolen to the po-lice and provide pics if possible.

Thanks for the support guys, really means a lot. He deserves the best.
The guitar got stolen in copenhagen in Denmark, and I'm taking all your suggestions, writing them down and sending them to him.
He's really sad, not every day my mates cry over a guitar.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Back
Top Bottom