Friedman vs Yamaha - Which FRFR to buy?

sidsin

Inspired
Hello everyone,

Currently have a headrush which is way too bassy for my liking.

Considering getting a new FRFR, which can be used at home and be carried for gigs.

Music of choice - heavy metal/ high gain tones.

any suggestions?

Last edited:
Friedman’s sound great, very easy to like if it’s your first modeling cab. But supposedly not that accurate and hyped in some freqs.. that’s probably why they are easy to like though.

I've been playing out of old KRK Rokit 5's for about 7 years now; I only play metal and dabble in clean stuff, they've done an ok job and I've had no serious complaints.

A few months ago a friend of mine got his own studio space and I've had the opportunity to try the Axe through a pair of Yamaha HS8's. After about 6 or 7 visits it's clear to me that there's no comparison at adequate volume; the HS8's sound much more powerful and "bigger" overall. I think they're known for being just a tad brittle but this is manageable, Yamaha doesn't pack DSP into their monitors, there's no need, you can just manage any harshness from the axe, or use the filters on the back of each monitor.

A few weeks ago I had the pleasure of speaking with Andy Hunt from Matrix for about an hour (funny enough it was about 5 minutes of speaker talk and 55 minutes of other stuff, really awesome guy) and after that I was set on getting a cab from Matrix, I ordered an FR212A and received it a couple of days ago, and yet again I have to say there's only so much I can compare at adequate volume, it's probably the best full range solution for guitars I've ever heard in my life - class A/B power, extremely loud, extremely clean, powerful, etc.

I'd say that my answer depends on how loud you usually play and what your price range is. It seems to me like a pair of Yamaha HS8's would suit you well; the FR212A is much, much more expensive than a pair of those, and at non-gigging volume, the HS8's are probably a better solution, and can also be used for mixing. I'd be very interested to see what a pair of HS8's sound like with a Yamaha subwoofer... The low end of the HS8's is only as pronounced as you make it, so you can mess with that via the Axe, you get a stereo pair of speakers, etc.

I had the Friedman (along with a CLR & Mission Gemini 2) and it is hyped in the low end imo. Still sounds good and is fun to play but it wasn't a flat response like the CLR. Lots of high gain players love the Friedman FRFR though so YMMV.

Reactions: JTI
I will add to Dave's benefit I don't think he was going for the most flat response speaker available. I think his goal was something that sounded more guitar like with "thump" (which it has tons of). If I am correct in assuming that was his goal then...he nailed it.

The Friedman 10" (ASC-10) is lighter than the 12" (ASC-12) version (34 lbs vs 59 lbs) and has less bottom end. There is plenty of bottom with the 10 and addresses the issue of some people finding the 12" too much bottom. Just some facts if you are considering the Friedman line.

I get that all FRFR speakers behave differently and none is truly flat response.
For what are you paying the big $$$ difference though? Sure, build quality sort of. Isn't the rest just brand, maybe aesthetics and a different interpretation of flat response? Sure, in a dream scenario your stage monitors, IEM, studio monitors and every PA would produce the same golden tone you dial in at home but that won't work 100% no matter what you buy.

Back
Top Bottom