Friedman Power Cab

sherpa_man

Inspired
Hi,

I have had most Fractal products in the past, i have just bought an fx 3 and i was wonder about power amp/cab setup, i came across the Friedman power wedge and after a quick google, there seems to be loads of mixed reviews.

Anybody using one?

I concur and can't speak highly enough about CLR's
Ok I saw that the clr was powered and unpowered I wasn’t sure if anyone was using a stand alone amp. I should have put that in my first question.. I still have a lot to learn. The clrs from what I have heard are pretty amazing.

I assume you are talking about the ASM12 FRFR cabs they offer? If so, I had one and you can get a decent sound out of.. but then it doesn't translate well to studio monitors and vice versa. I believe Yek even did a review on it and it certainly seems like it has a scooped sound or something. (you can search for his review on the forum)

I've had the best results with using studio monitors that are setup properly - and a high quality audio interface. I hear good things about the CLR's as well... I'd like to try one of those some time as well!

Or would you go the matrix route with a proper 2x12 cab?

A 2x12 cab is only going to sound like whatever speakers you have in the cab, so rather limiting IMO.

I prefer to use a flat reference monitor so I can use the IR/cab block emulation of a bunch of different speakers, cabinets etc.

I find real cabinets also very directional, so you need to tilt them upwards, can’t get off axis or the sound changes etc

I think powered CLR’s make life a lot easier

Check out this link to the B52 12” powered wedge, it looks near identical to the ASM12, 500 watts, same enclosure etc. I think Friedman took an existing product, added a nicer grill, spec’d a nicer speaker and sold it is a new design for $799.

Not that it makes it a bad product, but they seem to suggest they designed it specifically for modelers, which may not really be the case

http://www.b-52pro.com/products/ACTPRO12m.html

I have a Friedman ASM-12 and really like it. I have not tried the Atomic CLR's, though, so I can't say the the Friedman is better or worse. It is a heavy speaker in case that is an issue.

ASM12 wasn’t simply heavy, but has no handles in logical places, so it’s really awkward to carry, and kind of slippery to grip. The one strap was in such an odd spot too

It was a good looking monitor though once you got it into place lol

I’ve actually thought of taking my CLR grill off and wrapping a fabric grill cloth over it and putting it back on. Would look pretty classy with a Marshall style checkerboard fabric.....

I assume you are talking about the ASM12 FRFR cabs they offer? If so, I had one and you can get a decent sound out of.. but then it doesn't translate well to studio monitors and vice versa. I believe Yek even did a review on it and it certainly seems like it has a scooped sound or something. (you can search for his review on the forum)

I've had the best results with using studio monitors that are setup properly - and a high quality audio interface. I hear good things about the CLR's as well... I'd like to try one of those some time as well!
Hey thanks for the info good to know yeah the sound on the clrs does sound good from what I have seen an heard online. I have been playing with some different amps and playing straight through my mixing board into some Peavey H115’s sounds pretty cool just like that I have also been using a small Marshall MG30DFX and it sounds great. My Peavey stereo chorus 400 sounds good too, it will have to do for a while until our house is rebuilt from Hurricane Michael. I can only imagine a pair of clrs would sound amazing. B52 12 I’m going to checkout too. Really looking foward to using an FC 12 when I’m lucky enough to get an invite. I appreciate all the information I have been getting from the fractal world Thanks

I'm going to take a second and give another thumbs up for Xitone. I just got mine a couple of days ago and am really happy with it. Fair warning, it gets LOUD! (You don't have to crank it, but where's the fun in not?) Yet, the tone seems on point. I've yet to do a comparison with my QSC KW122, but with the coaxial design of the Xitone (and I believe the CLR is done the same way) I know I will get a better sound regardless of where I am standing/sitting. This is due to the fact that there is no separation between the woofer and tweeter.

Another method of thought here though:
I originally went with the QSC as it matched the towers that my band uses for our live shows (can't remember the model, but also KW series). In theory, I would get the same, or similar sounds as what we get through the PA, and save the sound guy from adding any eq to my channel. So, if you're playing live with a steady PA, you might want to match your mains.

Lately, however, I have been getting some invites to jam sessions and smaller gigs where there isn't always a PA with enough channels to run my rig through. That's what ultimately led me to looking into something like Xitone. With all the positive feedback here, on YouTube, and other blogs, I decided to give it a try.

I'm going to take a second and give another thumbs up for Xitone. I just got mine a couple of days ago and am really happy with it. Fair warning, it gets LOUD! (You don't have to crank it, but where's the fun in not?) Yet, the tone seems on point. I've yet to do a comparison with my QSC KW122, but with the coaxial design of the Xitone (and I believe the CLR is done the same way) I know I will get a better sound regardless of where I am standing/sitting. This is due to the fact that there is no separation between the woofer and tweeter.

Another method of thought here though:
I originally went with the QSC as it matched the towers that my band uses for our live shows (can't remember the model, but also KW series). In theory, I would get the same, or similar sounds as what we get through the PA, and save the sound guy from adding any eq to my channel. So, if you're playing live with a steady PA, you might want to match your mains.

Lately, however, I have been getting some invites to jam sessions and smaller gigs where there isn't always a PA with enough channels to run my rig through. That's what ultimately led me to looking into something like Xitone. With all the positive feedback here, on YouTube, and other blogs, I decided to give it a try.
Hey Jeff thanks for the info on the xitone I’ll check them out and those Qsc kw122 Thanks

Back
Top Bottom