Friedman Head Owners

I currently have a Port City Pearl Head (which is incredible with the AxeFx) that my friend asked to trade for his Runt 50 Head and I had a couple of questions to you as a Friedman owner. He lives about 8 hours away from me so I can't try it out without some level of commitment of him bringing it down in a couple of weeks for a visit.

Does the AxeFx sound good straight into the effects return of your Friedman without adjusting the AxeFx? Other than turning the cab sim off. "Resonance in the Amp block should be neutralized for best results. If not, high and lows are hyped and the guitar is prone to early feedback" from a post from Yek about using the Fryette poweramp as well as some other posts about tube amps.

I actually really like the Friedman models in the AxeFx so I could run it in 4cm, but also like the Mesa Boogies for high gain.

Thanks in advance for any help/info you can send me. I would just rather him not have to lug the head down if I would be taking a step back in tone.

Ryan

I would absolutely check out the Runt before you buy with your AxeFX , cuz at least in my case and a number of other users , the Runt 50 (mine is a combo) there is a design flaw in the FX loop in some units that creates a great deal of noise. This has been been more or less confirmed by Dave Friedman and he has offered a still-to-appear fix for the affected units (the discussion is on TGP somewhere ) .... but I would check it. I don't even use the FX loop for this reason at all on mine, but FX8 sounds awesome thru the front end of the Runt.....but I know there are also many happy users without this issue....

I own a Friedman Dirty Shirley Mini head which I've used extensively in the 4CM with my AX8 and Humbuster cables. I turn off the cabinet modding and power amp modeling as I'm getting all amp mojo from the Friedman. Everything sounds amazing to me. I've used my Gibson ES-335, SG, R7 Les Paul, and my new Kiesel Vader 7-string guitar all into either a Mesa Recto 4x12, J Design 2x12, and a Friedman Dirty Shirley 1x12 (the full sized one), and everything just rocks. I have also heard that there is an issue with the Runt FX loop at the moment which is supposed to be corrected in future units, but Dave is very good about fixing any possible problems with his products. But for the Dirty Shirley Mini, I've been all smiles with the 4CM and have had no noise/tonal problems.

If the Port city sounds amazing why the trade? why does you friend wan to off the Runt?
I briefly owned a Runt and although it sounded very good I opted to return it due to liking the Ax8 amps and flexibility with IR's better.
Not a lot of gain on tap even with an OD goosing the front end -but a very good classic rock tone for sure!

Thank you for the replies/help. I'm going to keep the Port City.

He is really more of a clean/low gain with a pedal player and thought the AxeFx would probably sound good just though the effects loop of the Runt. I was just inquiring/trying to do him favor instead of him dealing with selling his Runt.

Yea the Runt (other friedman's as well) have a lot of depth that you can't dial out. I'm probably going to use my runt 4cm for a bit but its not going to make a very good power amp for the axe models at all. I'm actually thinking of selling mine and just picking up a cheap 5150iii used as it has presence and resonance controls and is midi switchable. So I would agree with your decision if you're happy with your Port City.

i wouldn't make that trade. The Pearl is pretty much perfect for what you're using it for, I don't think the Runt will work nearly as well.

Back
Top Bottom