Friedman HBE Noise

I absolutely love the Friedman HBE amp in the Axe III, more so than the FAS Mod and FAS 6160. I love how it sounds using my neck pickup...something about the amp makes a duel coil sound really transparent and clean like a single coil, even at high gain....BUT, I notice that the Friedman HBE amp model produces a lot of white noise, significantly more noticeable than other amps (all all the primary EQ and tone shaping parameters at similar settings. Is there some advanced setting in the amp that might be contributing to this, or is it just built into the model?

The 2nd one sounds worse to me. Sounds like things aren’t setup correctly?

What "things" and what "correct" settings is the million dollar question. The presets for the two sounds are virtually identical. The only difference is that the first contains the FAS Mod amp and the second is the Friedman HBE amp. I will start by popping the factory preset of the Friedman HBE into the preset just to ensure nothing got changed.

What "things" and what "correct" settings is the million dollar question. The presets for the two sounds are virtually identical. The only difference is that the first contains the FAS Mod amp and the second is the Friedman HBE amp. I will start by popping the factory preset of the Friedman HBE into the preset just to ensure nothing got changed.
I thought you said the first was the HBE.
the Friedman HBE (first sound in the sample) with FAS MOD (second sound).
Both don’t sound like a guitar through an amp to me at all, like the “amp mix” is less than 100% if such a setting existed. We can help if you export and upload that preset and describe your setup.

My Friedman HBE preset attached. In the sound clip I posted above, I am playing my F# string (8 string guitar) 4 times. First time is the FAS MOD amp, second is the Friedman HBE, third is the FAS MOD again, and fourth is the Friedman HBE again, but letting the string fade out where you can really hear the hiss.

Attachments

• Friedman.HBE.Bridge.Rhyth.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 4
Bypass the Noise Gate block and turn the Ratio parameter all the way down in the 'In 1' block. Then, simply record the noise of both presets without playing anything so we can compare the two. I tried bypassing the noise gating in your preset and compared the noise level (without playing anything) between the Friedman HBE and the FAS Modern at the same settings, and while I could hear a difference, it was fairly negligible.

If you can, I'd recommend uploading your FAS MOD preset for comparison and include a guitar DI so we can reamp it through both presets, because for all we know your pickups may be a factor.

Back
Top Bottom