Friedman HBE + Bare Knuckle Black Hawks + Evertune

Hard to say how the Evertune plays in to things other than "you sound in tune"! :)

But the BKPs in to that HBE sound...f'ing fantastic.

Sorry about the all-over-the-place mix... I was tired and going to NY in 3 hours without sleeping through the night. :lol

Feedback! I can share the patch if you guys want it. The IR I used was from the free OwnHammer Bogner collection.

Good shit Clark!

I'm starting to notice an emerging style, not of playing, but of recording/mixing/mastering that your stuff always seemed to me to fit right into. If i had to come up with a term for it, it'd probably be something like "mixed for guitars".

Essentially this sound that I'm noticing seems to be prevalent in mixes such as yours, Drewsif Stalin, a lot of "guitar-guy" guys where the focus of the mix appears to produce an almost completely transparent lead guitar tone that is first and foremost in the mix. I notice in these mixes that nothing seems to interfere with anything else, although minor interference is a cornerstone of resulting in that professional "glued together" modern sound. The kind of thing that tape provides to a milder degree. Without it, the sound ends up dry in my opinion, which is just my own opinion and nothing else :)

My own mix of that song would sound totally different. I'd have the bass guitar up front (not merely the low frequencies but the whole bass guitar), sidechain many of the drum kit instruments off to a reverb (with one more mild reverb purely for the snare) and explode those transients.

Regardless, love all your youtube videos btw. I remember that your video on converting IRs for the axe fx was a total lifesaver.

Good shit Clark!

I'm starting to notice an emerging style, not of playing, but of recording/mixing/mastering that your stuff always seemed to me to fit right into. If i had to come up with a term for it, it'd probably be something like "mixed for guitars".

Essentially this sound that I'm noticing seems to be prevalent in mixes such as yours, Drewsif Stalin, a lot of "guitar-guy" guys where the focus of the mix appears to produce an almost completely transparent lead guitar tone that is first and foremost in the mix. I notice in these mixes that nothing seems to interfere with anything else, although minor interference is a cornerstone of resulting in that professional "glued together" modern sound. The kind of thing that tape provides to a milder degree. Without it, the sound ends up dry in my opinion, which is just my own opinion and nothing else :)

My own mix of that song would sound totally different. I'd have the bass guitar up front (not merely the low frequencies but the whole bass guitar), sidechain many of the drum kit instruments off to a reverb (with one more mild reverb purely for the snare) and explode those transients.

Regardless, love all your youtube videos btw. I remember that your video on converting IRs for the axe fx was a total lifesaver.

Thank you for the thorough analysis! :D Honestly this was almost unmixed. I leave more space for bass in different genres but for metal I feel like it's mostly for support. :) Also when dealing with programmed drums I bury them with guitars on purpose to hide my lazy programming. :D I'd love to hear a mix of yours just for reference purposes.

This is one of your better tones. I love black hawks, they turned my bland sg special into a really fantastic machine and my favorite guitar now. Did you go ceramic or alnico?

This is one of your better tones. I love black hawks, they turned my bland sg special into a really fantastic machine and my favorite guitar now. Did you go ceramic or alnico?

I think these are alnico. I got them from a friend so I didn't choose them myself... would've gotten Juggernauts probably if it was up to me but these are really good!

Evertune is the bees-knees. Had one installed on an ibanez 7-string and my recording process have been so smooth, I can just switch strings whenever I want and just tune up and go. No tuning for days.

Yeah! Actually I hate playing my other guitars after using Evertune. That's actually a bit annoying since I have really good guitars that also keep their tune but Evertune is something else. :D

The only thing that bothers me is bending because it's a bit stiffer than on other guitars. I don't like soloing with an Evertune guitar but other than that it's the SHIIIZZZ!

Yeah, it's tough to find a sweet spot for bending. For me I have the low strings set to not bend at all and the top three strings to be as normal as possible. It works but it's not totally ideal. But for me the pros outweighs the cons and I'll just use my other guitar(s) for lead stuff.

Yeah, it's tough to find a sweet spot for bending. For me I have the low strings set to not bend at all and the top three strings to be as normal as possible. It works but it's not totally ideal. But for me the pros outweighs the cons and I'll just use my other guitar(s) for lead stuff.

+1.

Nice man! Those Black hawks sounds so tough, I love them in my guitar.

How are you liking them? Still wanting the Juggernauts?

Back
Top Bottom