Friedman FRFR Cab Update!

willowdale

Fractal Fanatic
Dave Friedman said this 2 days ago on Rig Talk:

"Should be available any day now. 500 watts celestial drivers. Punchy and not too bright like some full range cabs. They have a real Knock to them like a guitar cab would".

I'm looking forward to trying a pair of them for sure!

So maybe FR (Full Range) but not FR (Flat Response)? ;-)

Exactly. "Not too bright like some full range cabs" ... meaning that this will not be flat right? Friedman is awesome though.

I hope I don't sound like a pessimist but I don't quite understand this trend of creating an inbetween hybrid regular cab/FRFR speaker cabinet. FRFR is meant for monitoring a miked sound and a real cab is not. So if you have something inbetween like this then it's not going to make your IRs sound like the cab is changing to another cab. (That's the marketing speech I've received a few times.) That's physically impossible. It's still going to be playing a miked signal and therefore not comparable to a real cab in the room. This all once again IMO IMO IMO. :)

WTF is a "celestial" driver?

Maybe something like:

marissa.jpg

A couple of interesting things from the manual:

2-WAY 500-WATT POWERED MONITOR BI-AMP DESIGN-INTEGRATED SIGNAL PROCESSING CELESTION LOUDSPEAKER & COMPRESSION DRIVE

And

Low Frequency Transducer: Celestion - 12” speaker with 2.5” edge-wound voice coil
High Frequency Transducer: PETP film compression driver with 1.75” voice coil

From looking at the drawings, there definitely seems to be different type of drivers. Wouldn't you get a phase issue that you wouldn't with a coaxial speaker? And isn't the point of the coaxial speaker to not need a high frequency driver?

Celestial by the way is IOS autocorrected spelling of Celestion :)

Exactly. "Not too bright like some full range cabs" ... meaning that this will not be flat right? Friedman is awesome though. I hope I don't sound like a pessimist but I don't quite understand this trend of creating an inbetween hybrid regular cab/FRFR speaker cabinet. FRFR is meant for monitoring a miked sound and a real cab is not. So if you have something inbetween like this then it's not going to make your IRs sound like the cab is changing to another cab. (That's the marketing speech I've received a few times.) That's physically impossible. It's still going to be playing a miked signal and therefore not comparable to a real cab in the room. This all once again IMO IMO IMO. :)

It's my hope that these are for the guy that wants an amp and real cab behind him on stage but doesn't want to be restricted to one speaker type.... I'm hoping it thumps like a real cab does live, but let's you use different IRs... Don't know if it's possible but if these fill that gap, I'd buy a set.

That's my hope as well. I want something to use as a monitor when going FOH, but that I can use as my amplification for small rooms where only the vocals are going through the PA.

Back
Top Bottom