Friedman cabs: ASM + ASC vs ASC + ASC and other Qs

TubeStack

Inspired
So I'm really enjoying my ASM-12 cab at home with my FM3. For me, it's made using the amp models an amazing experience and a possible option for live use. I picked it up used at a great price locally. However it's very heavy and awkward to move around, so I"m looking at the ASC series, too.

I'm looking at getting an ASC-12, or maybe two of them, and might make the purchase soon, with all the talk of rising prices, low stock on everything, etc

A few questions for those experienced with these cabs:

- would you recommend a setup with two ASCs over an ASC plus an ASM? If so, why?

- or, would you recommend an ASC + an ASM? If so, why?

- can two ASCs be stacked, or is the top of the cab narrower than the bottom?

- how is the projection of the ASCs? I know some tilt them upward and @PBGas has installed Fender-style legs on his to tilt it back.

- regarding the smaller ASC-10: would two of them fill a room as well as a Mesa Trad 4x12? (this seems ambitious... lol)

Any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Also, I'm not interested in Atomic CLRs, for now; they're basically impossible to get, up here in Canada. I love the Friedmans and they are pretty easily available here.

I have two ASC-10s. I went this route mostly for the reduced weight over the ASC-12. I prefer the cabinet shape to the monitor because it is easier to transport and takes less room to pack into a vehicle. Besides the physical characteristics I do like the sound of the ASC-10. I understand they have less of the boomy bottom than the 12 but I have never tried the 12 to hear for myself.

I have gigged with the single ASC-10 and had no issue with volume or projection. I have run it on the floor but most times I elevate it 12"-16" or use an amp stand if space was tight and I wanted it tilted for more projection. All depended on the venue - how much stage depth there was, was stage elevated, the distance from me to the cabinet.

These have been my experiences however keep in mind my days of playing a venue where I can open up a 100w head and a 4x12 are behind me. I have only rehearsed a couple of times using both ASC-10's as the second ASC-10 was bought during covid. I really like the stereo effects using the 2nd cabinet. The pair can get quite loud but I don't play super loud on stage as we use FOH as well (and our drummer is not over the top volume-wise).

I have two ASC-10s. I went this route mostly for the reduced weight over the ASC-12. I prefer the cabinet shape to the monitor because it is easier to transport and takes less room to pack into a vehicle. Besides the physical characteristics I do like the sound of the ASC-10. I understand they have less of the boomy bottom than the 12 but I have never tried the 12 to hear for myself.

I have gigged with the single ASC-10 and had no issue with volume or projection. I have run it on the floor but most times I elevate it 12"-16" or use an amp stand if space was tight and I wanted it tilted for more projection. All depended on the venue - how much stage depth there was, was stage elevated, the distance from me to the cabinet.

These have been my experiences however keep in mind my days of playing a venue where I can open up a 100w head and a 4x12 are behind me. I have only rehearsed a couple of times using both ASC-10's as the second ASC-10 was bought during covid. I really like the stereo effects using the 2nd cabinet. The pair can get quite loud but I don't play super loud on stage as we use FOH as well (and our drummer is not over the top volume-wise).
Thank you, this is all great info.

Are the ASCs stackable?

Yes they are stackable (I can only speak to the ASC-10s). The feet are long enough so that the bottom of the top cabinet easily clears the handle of the cab on the bottom. They sit firm with no rocking.

The ASC-12s are a large cabinet. I was really surprised how much bigger and heavier it is. It's very close to the same weight as a decent 212 cab.

The ASC-12s are a large cabinet. I was really surprised how much bigger and heavier it is. It's very close to the same weight as a decent 212 cab.
I don’t mind that kind of weight and size in the form factor of the ASC, though. I’m used to bringing my Mesa Recto 2x12 everywhere (although it has wheels). Still, handle on top, carry at your side, not too bad. The ASM is a real pain to move around, when compared.

Hey @PBGas

I noticed you’re over at GuitarsCanada, too.

If you don’t mind me asking, where did you buy your ASC-10?

I’m thinking of ordering an ASC-12 (or two) from Cosmo, but they’re not in stock and they have no idea of an expected timeline for delivery. I also have not bought anything online with them and am a bit wary from things I’ve read/heard.

There’s TheGuitarShop in Mississauga, but I’ve sent them a few messages and received no reply.

I was super lucky to find my ASM-12 on Kijiji right after I bought the FM3.

Anyway, please let me know if you have any advice!

Back
Top Bottom