Friedman BE - Plus a Strat

LVC

Fractal Fanatic
Man I need to get out more often.

what a great sounding amp with a strat into a regular guitar cab (No FRFR).

Wife is out so I had a chance to work on my single coil patch for my Matrix NL12 cab and was trying to get a decent OD sounds (crunch lead).

After exploring the usual amps/pedals I typically play, I decided to give the Friedman BE a try (I have never played a real one).

I usually stay away from these types of amps because I think they are too high gain for my tastes.

Wrong

Easy to dial in a nice crunch and lead tone without going into high gain territory.

All I can say is that this is a killer amp for single coils and sounds amazing going straight in a guitar cab powered by the GT1000FX.

Cool stuff Laz. Try more of the higher gain amps. Many of them sound really great with the gain way down and master up.

Would love to see a patch from you with this amp. The twin patch you made is my goto clean. I'm using a strat as well and while I love the way the BE cuts and feels, I've never been able to quite dial it in.

Cheers!

Would love to see a patch from you with this amp. The twin patch you made is my goto clean. I'm using a strat as well and while I love the way the BE cuts and feels, I've never been able to quite dial it in.

Cheers!

I am digging this big time -- however this patch has no cab.

When I finish it I will see if I can replicate it with a cab

Of course it has a Twin for the cleans :mrgreen

I am going to call it a Fried Twin :lol

I'm 95% or more of the time on single coils and P90's and mostly looking for and using vintage sounding clean, bluesy and on edge of breakup tones, that I can boost with a drive, preamps (amp 2 sag=0) or PEQ for over the top when needed - Fenders, Marshalls (Plexis & JTM45), Dumbles, Friedman Dirty Shirley, HiWatt, Nuclear (Swart), Wrecks / Comets, Morgan - but when I need Crunch or Hi-gain I go straight to the Friedman BE or HBE - they are as you say amazing and killer amps, and can do anything from vintage '70's rock tones to modern rock tones.
Infact the models in the Axe make me very curious to try the real Friedmans - just for the experience.

I'm 95% or more of the time on single coils and P90's and mostly looking for and using vintage sounding clean, bluesy and on edge of breakup tones, that I can boost with a drive, preamps (amp 2 sag=0) or PEQ for over the top when needed - Fenders, Marshalls (Plexis & JTM45), Dumbles, Friedman Dirty Shirley, HiWatt, Nuclear (Swart), Wrecks / Comets, Morgan - but when I need Crunch or Hi-gain I go straight to the Friedman BE or HBE - they are as you say amazing and killer amps, and can do anything from vintage '70's rock tones to modern rock tones.
Infact the models in the Axe make me very curious to try the real Friedmans - just for the experience.

Real Friedman's are the sh*t. I have a BE100 and it kills. I've been trying to replicate the tone of my real BE with the Axe, but I just can't get there. I was thinking about posting some of my real Friedman recordings to see if someone could get closer than me. Don't try a real one unless your ready to plunk down $3,000, but they are amazing. Classic 70's rock tone, it nails early Aerosmith, Boston, AC/DC, Van Halen, etc.

Reactions: LVC
After exploring the usual amps/pedals I typically play, I decided to give the Friedman BE a try (I have never played a real one).

I usually stay away from these types of amps because I think they are too high gain for my tastes.

Wrong

Easy to dial in a nice crunch and lead tone without going into high gain territory.

Welcome to the party! :encouragement:

Reactions: LVC
I am really amazed by the amp.

Strats are funny instruments (especially for OD tones) -- for example I never really liked the way my strats sounded with the OD channel of any of the Dumble clones I owned (with the exception of the Carol Ann which is not a clone but shares some dumble characteristics).

With my (analog) Twins, Strats with OD pedals like a Blues Driver, Chandler Tube driver (rack), BB Pre, AC Boost, and Tube Screamer always sounded really good.

The Freidman BE amp just kills with strats. Nothing else is needed.

It sounds natural -- not wooly, and it delivers the right amount of bacon but without the annoying top end sizzle.

I am a fan -- would love to try a real one ....

Last edited:
Laz, have you settled on a cab choice?

I am using the Matrix NL12 guitar cabinet for this one (no cab sim). It sounds freaking awesome.

Hoping the wife goes shopping or to her mom's house today so I can finish dialing in the preset.:mrgreen

When I am happy with that one (almost there) -- I will start working on the FRFR one.

So hopefully in a couple of days I will have two versions of the "Fried Twin" preset for single coils
19b1f313.gif~original

Strats are funny instruments (especially for OD tones) -- for example I never really liked the way my strats sounded with the OD channel of any of the Dumble clones I owned (with the exception of the Carol Ann which is not a clone but shares some dumble characteristics).

With my (analog) Twins, Strats with OD pedals like a Blues Driver, Chandler Tube driver (rack), BB Pre, AC Boost, and Tube Screamer always sounded really good.

It sounds natural -- not wooly, and it delivers the right amount of bacon but without the annoying top end sizzle.

I know what you mean - with my Mystic Blues ODS, the other D-clones that I've owned or played and real D's that I've played I much much prefer teles and ES335s to strats, but strangely with my Skrydstrup OD 50 every guitar sounds wonderful - including a strat.
The OD 50 is not a strict clone in any way but the design started out as search for Robben Ford tones and developed from there.

The way the BE and HBE handles single coil guitars reminds me of the way my Skrydstrup SD 50 (vintage rock to modern Hi-gain) handles single coils, take the SD 50 and a tele or strat and go to town, nothing else needed to make an real impact and turn heads.

I'd love to try out a real BE and predict that I'd order one with all the options if I get to play one - maybe next time I go to the US

You have a Skrydstrup?

That is one hell of an amp!!!!!

I played one years ago and I was about to order one when I was introduced to Brandon Montgomery and ended up going in another direction.

One amp I always wanted to get my hands on was one of Tommy Cougar's amps --- looks like you got one of those in you sable as well .... very nice!

I know what you mean - with my Mystic Blues ODS, the other D-clones that I've owned or played and real D's that I've played I much much prefer teles and ES335s to strats, but strangely with my Skrydstrup OD 50 every guitar sounds wonderful - including a strat.
The OD 50 is not a strict clone in any way but the design started out as search for Robben Ford tones and developed from there.

The way the BE and HBE handles single coil guitars reminds me of the way my Skrydstrup SD 50 (vintage rock to modern Hi-gain) handles single coils, take the SD 50 and a tele or strat and go to town, nothing else needed to make an real impact and turn heads.

I'd love to try out a real BE and predict that I'd order one with all the options if I get to play one - maybe next time I go to the US

I own an early Friedman Marsha and it sounds fantastic with single coils, much better than the Axe fx IMO, the Axe sounds great using hubuckers but is not so convincing on the S/C side.

I own an early Friedman Marsha and it sounds fantastic with single coils, much better than the Axe fx IMO, the Axe sounds great using hubuckers but is not so convincing on the S/C side.

Interesting --- I have not played a real one so I have no basis for comparison -- all I know is that it sounds fantastic going through the NL12 (have not tied it with IRs yet).

When trying IRs, definitely give the Basketweave TV mix a go (even though I probably venture into higher gain territories than you). That IR combined with the Friedman BE makes me pretty happy in the pants. I don't even feel the need to mix it with another IR. :)

The Friedman BE model did the impossible: it made me switch from the Ecstasy.
If I was using real amps, I'd choose the Friedman BE. I'd prefer a combo edition though.
Like Swervedriver, I love it together with a G12m or G12H speaker, much more than a V30.
Lots of those in the Axe-Fx, such as the "TV Mix" indeed.

The Friedman BE model did the impossible: it made me switch from the Ecstasy.
If I was using real amps, I'd choose the Friedman BE. I'd prefer a combo edition though.
Like Swervedriver, I love it together with a G12m or G12H speaker, much more than a V30.
Lots of those in the Axe-Fx, such as the "TV Mix" indeed.
I don't think I could choose, I think I like S/Cs' better with the XTC, both are exceptional though!
Don't be fooled that is not a Marshall.
img0281qm.jpg

Back
Top Bottom