Friedman BE 100 HBE Models Clarifications

Joker

Inspired
The official Friedman manual describes the voice switch settings as follows (https://friedmanamplification.com/manuals/BE-100-INSTRUCTION-MANUAL.pdf):

" Left position is slightly darker with more mids, right position is slightly brighter with a bigger bass."

The Fractal Audio wiki has this to say about the HBE models:
  • HBE C45: recent edition, C45 switch engaged
  • HBE V1: recent edition, voice in left position
  • HBE V1 Fat: recent edition, voice in left position, FAT switch engaged
  • HBE V2: recent edition, voice in middle position (brightest)
  • HBE V3: recent edition, voice in right position
Friedman labels the right or "V3" position as brighter - than the standard middle position - with a bigger bass while the Fractal Wiki lists the middle position as the brightest position. In my opinion, the HBE V3 model sounds less bright than V2 and V1. To me, it seems that V1 should be voice switch in right position "slightly brighter with a bigger bass" setting and V3 sounds like voice switch in the left position "slightly darker with more mids".

The second question I have is regarding the HBE C45 model: Where's the voice switch set in that specific model? Is it in the standard middle V2 position?

The third question I have is regarding the HBE models present during the 10th public beta of Cygnus: I've used the Friedman HBE V1 C45 model during that beta and now the preset defaults to the HBE V3 model. Was this a Friedman BE 100 Deluxe amp that was modeled but abandoned for the next public beta? I assume the current HBE models are based on a standard Friedman HBE channel? If it was indeed a BE 100 Deluxe during that brief period, would it be possible to get that model, or at least that HBE V1 C45 channel back into the Axe FX III?

Friedman BE-100 manual:

"VOICE SWITCH: This tailors the top end response of the dirty channels. 3-way switch, center is brightest."

center = V2.

Friedman BE-100 manual:

"VOICE SWITCH: This tailors the top end response of the dirty channels. 3-way switch, center is brightest."

center = V2.

Google tells me that this sentence is only part of the BE 50 Deluxe manual: https://friedmanamplification.com/manuals/BE-50DELUXEINSTRUCTIONMANUALFINAL10-17-2017.pdf

I've posted the BE 100 manual above already and what it says about the voice positions, or is the current BE model with the voice switches based on a deluxe model?

I copied it straight from the BE-100 Deluxe manual on Friedman’s site.

I copied it straight from the BE-100 Deluxe manual on Friedman’s site.

But isn't the current BE 100 based on an original BE 100 and not a deluxe version? The manual for the standard version would be the one I posted initially.

I don’t think the function of the V switch was changed between the previous BE-100 and Deluxe. It’s just a matter of interpretation of the manual. The BE-100 manual can still be read that the middle position is the brightest. IIRC that is similar to the Bright switch on the Bogner Ecstasy.

I don’t think the function of the V switch was changed between the previous BE-100 and Deluxe. It’s just a matter of interpretation of the manual. The BE-100 manual can still be read that the middle position is the brightest. IIRC that is similar to the Bright switch on the Bogner Ecstasy.

Based on what's written in the BE 100 manual, the right (V3) position is slightly brighter than the middle (V2) position.

Apart from that, do you know which voice position was used for the HBE C45 model?

I'm most interested in what happened to that HBE V1 C45 model that was changed so abruptly during the public beta phase. Would be a shame if it was dropped altogether, especially when the model waa already implemented and verified at that point...

No, it says that Right is brighter than Left.

Don’t know anything about the C45 model specs.

The actual BE Model in the Axe is not a deluxe.
Cliff stated that a few times. He took the Deluxe out because a few people did complain about it.

No, it says that Right is brighter than Left.

Don’t know anything about the C45 model specs.

You're right, it can be interpreted both ways, though the way I'm reading it is that Dave is using the middle position, as it isn't directly mentioned, as the reference point and left and right are only bright or dark in comparison to that middle position. In any case, now that we know that the BE100 is not a deluxe version - I'm taking Sashman's word for it - we'd need to update the wiki so that it reflects the BE100 specs instead of the BE100 Deluxe specs.

The actual BE Model in the Axe is not a deluxe.
Cliff stated that a few times. He took the Deluxe out because a few people did complain about it.

Do you happen to know when the Deluxe version was introduced and then taken out? Did this all happen during a brief period of Cygnus public beta versions?

As a BE100 owner and having DF update my voice switch from a 2014 to 2017(at the time it was done) it is a 3 position voice switch. There is no BE100 deluxe in the amp library. The small box is as well a 2 channel amp with gain settings for each channel. Not the case with the FA example they sound great..layouts not accurate.

In any case, now that we know that the BE100 is not a deluxe version - I'm taking Sashman's word for it - we'd need to update the wiki so that it reflects the BE100 specs instead of the BE100 Deluxe specs.

The wiki doesn't say that it's the Deluxe version. It does mention the Thump control from the Deluxe, because Cliff decided to add that control (as "Depth") as an authentic control.

I did clean up the wiki info a little.

You're right, it can be interpreted both ways, though the way I'm reading it is that Dave is using the middle position, as it isn't directly mentioned, as the reference point and left and right are only bright or dark in comparison to that middle position. In any case, now that we know that the BE100 is not a deluxe version - I'm taking Sashman's word for it - we'd need to update the wiki so that it reflects the BE100 specs instead of the BE100 Deluxe specs.

Do you happen to know when the Deluxe version was introduced and then taken out? Did this all happen during a brief period of Cygnus public beta versions?
Beta 11
1B51DF1E-0441-4F70-BCB3-7B7D42ADB8D3.png

The wiki doesn't say that it's the Deluxe version. It does mention the Thump control from the Deluxe, because Cliff decided to add that control (as "Depth") as an authentic control.

I did clean up the wiki info a little.
So the thump control from the deluxe has been addded to the the current models?

Damn... I liked that HBE Deluxe V1 C45 model very much... The plexi amps are still home base for me, but that HBE Deluxe Beta 11 was special to my ears. Seems like I'll have to switch between Beta 11 and 16.05.

I have created a lot of patches after 16.04, what happens to those if I downgrade to Cygnus Beta 11? Will I still be able to use them as they were, i.e. without any changes, once I go back to the newest Cygnus FW? And the Beta 11 patch, will it still work if I update to latest FW and then reverse back to Beta once again?

BTW: Does anyone know how the larger resistors / lower cutoff frequency of coupling capacitors impacts the tone? Is it a "feel" thing, i.e. more/less sag, or more of a EQ thing, or maybe both?

Would love for a 2020 BE-100 Deluxe version amongst the amps. But maybe if there is a way to tweak (using amp block parameters) the existing BE/HBE to match the 2020 versions, that would be awesome as well. As a side note, I did feel a big difference between the Friedman HBE C45 on Ares and Cygnus; the low end is now a lot looser and fuzzy making chugs lack definition. It was my go to on Ares, but not been able to jive with it on Cygnus (it's the only amp model like that tbh, rest all models are SO MUCH better).

This, you need to install Beta 11 Firmware.
I don't have a problem with not being able to use 16.05 presets with Beta 11. My worry is that switching to Beta 11 and going back to 16.05 will alter these presets. Same goes for patches created on Beta 11: Will they change once I go to 16.05 and then back again to Beta 11?

Back
Top Bottom