Friedman BE-100 and FM3 - Axe-Fx III (emulate Phil X Demo)

I finally finished shooting the Friedman 4x12 like the one he uses in the video and it's amazing how much of a difference it made using a Friedman cab vs my Marshall cab with Greenbacks. There really is something unique about what they do and it was interesting to hear how different those two cabs sound. Anyway, if any of you end up picking up the cab pack, I used the YA FDMN 412 M25 Mix PX for the IR. That should get you right in the ballpark.
I just purchased that pack and used the BE v2 with that cab and a P90 Les Paul and have not stopped playing for over an hour. I now have a new riff for my next track so Justin York a big thumbs up for some great sounding cabs :grimacing: (inspired)

I just purchased that pack and used the BE v2 with that cab and a P90 Les Paul and have not stopped playing for over an hour. I now have a new riff for my next track so Justin York a big thumbs up for some great sounding cabs :grimacing: (inspired)
Thanks man! I'm so happy to hear that! I like the BE V2 with the depth knob rolled back for that tone. It's a chunky cab with a lot of woody attack, so it's really fun to play through and it's nice that single notes can still carry a lot of weight on their own. Thanks for sharing!

How do you end up cutting lows with the HBE? Are you doing it with pre-EQ, cut switch, depth knob, or IR low cut?
For now when playing through this patch I just have settings as described. I like the low end rumble and the H U G E guitar sound like on the newer Alice in Chains records. Boosting the lows on the amp and having the master volume set at a level where there's power tube saturation and sag actually evens out the tone quite nicely. This is not a tight 'everything is under control' kind of tone. This is the sound of melting city.

At this moment my main guitar is a Solar V1.6 Artist LTD with Seymour Duncan Solar pickups. They're pretty bright and they don't push the low end as much as some of my other guitars, especially now that I have it tuned to Eb with a .010 - .046 set. This is why my amp can be set to a tone that's quite dark/heavy on the low end and I can still cut through a mix.

If I'd have to mix this tone into a song I'd consider shaving off some low end, but depending on the song I'd consider just side chaining the guitar bus to the kick to create a little bit of ducking to free up space.

If you go to my Facebook page (see below this post) you can find a post of a 10 Day Riff Challenge video from July 11th. In that video I'm using an alternate version of my standard patch. This one is made to create a stereo sound out of a single guitar take. I'm using the Friedman HBE 2018 on one side and I think the Bogner Überschall model on the other side. There's a 20ms delay on the Überschall side to enhance the stereo effect. Both amps are tweaked to sound similar, but still different. The gain is a bit lower than on my main patch, so it sounds closer to the actual song I'm playing (Alice in Chains - A Looking In View).

Purchased the pack, and loaded the patch to my FM3 , new 1.06 beeeta, ;)
The preset sounds JUST like the sound clip Justin posted. My new Rock preset for sure.
Thanks you for making this happen YA ! Phil Lives !

I finally finished shooting the Friedman 4x12 like the one he uses in the video and it's amazing how much of a difference it made using a Friedman cab vs my Marshall cab with Greenbacks. There really is something unique about what they do and it was interesting to hear how different those two cabs sound. Anyway, if any of you end up picking up the cab pack, I used the YA FDMN 412 M25 Mix PX for the IR. That should get you right in the ballpark.
I also just bought the friedman pack because I have no friedman IRs, and WOW. It is amazing how much a difference there is between the Friedman and my many Marshall cab IRs I have. It's thick and juicy! Fantastic product @York Audio and very happy I bought it, can never have too many IRs right?!

Fr
This Actual Video Compelled me to spend £4000 on The Exact Head and Cabinet.

Whilst I Totally Loved playing this amp live, gig after gig, I still couldn't get anywhere near the Tone Phil X is getting here !!!

Remember this is a recording..... imagine what it must have sounded like in the room!

This is my "Dream Guitar Sound" and after speaking to Dave Friedman on numerous occasions realised that a large proportion of the character of the BE-100 comes from the cabinet.

My 4x12 had a mixture of Greenbacks and Vintage 30's which is a strange mix but somehow it worked???

IIRC it was configured 2 Greenbacks at the top and V30 on the Bottom.

If that helps in anyway with configuring your devices.....
what i remember os PhilX uses 11/50 strings or something heavier at times.

The clip a few pages back by york audio sounds really good. Closest I have heard yet to a BE100. Having one for half a decade, that's the best preset I've heard yet of the BE100 , Hope to purchase this and it work with current firmware?

Last edited:
I just updated my Phil X tone with FW 12.09 to match this video with my Les Paul. I basically used his same settings and stuck a 57 on it. If anyone here has the new York Audio MRSH M25 Cab Pack, use 57-1 in the cab block and that's the tone. His settings are a little dark for my taste personally, but the goal was to recreate the tone in the video with YouTube compression. I gotta say though, it's a lot of fun to play!
Hi, is this in the Friedman pack?

Oh man......the Crunch that Phil has in this demo is MASSIVE, no other way to describe it, no wonder he shits his pants.....I haven't heard anything better....but I am no Pro musician. I also love the delay only on one channel of the recording...take out an earphone out half way. I think his VH roots shine large.
I am trying to simulate this on my FM3.
Have a listen !!!

The FM3 Friedman Amp options are:
BE V1
BE C45
HB# V1
HBE 2018

Pretty sure I need one of the BE models, C45 ??...but which one approximates this BE-100 demo ? There is a great close up of the tone stack to dial it in.

In "o'clock" positions. I see the following:
Gain 3
Pres 10
Bass 1
Treb 1
Midd 1
Master 10
Fat OFF (he mentions turning this ON of the neck part....)

Is the Gain control Input Drive, NOT Trim on our models? Any for a CAB recommendation....or use stock :)

thanks !

all friedman in axis 3 sounds good with the 4 ir free of leon tood

You could also just tonematch the left channel without the reverb and get an IR/EQ that is close to what he is using. EDIT: Tried tonematching it but it doesnt work. He has reverb on his signal and it throws off the matching.

Last edited:
You could also just tonematch the left channel without the reverb and get an IR/EQ that is close to what he is using. EDIT: Tried tonematching it but it doesnt work. He has reverb on his signal and it throws off the matching.
The majority of the delay is panned to the right channel, and what little can be heard in the left channel is really only audible in the gaps between riffs and chord progressions. Tone Match should work if you cut out the gaps.

Last edited:
Here's my updated take on the Phil X tone and the preset I used for it with the IR in the title. Just don't make too much fun of my sloppy playing...
I downloaded your patch and really liked it. I tried the PX Freedman cab IR but trying other IRs I finally have chosen one of your IRs from the new York Audio YORK 212 M65 Cream Cab Pack (it's Mix 8). Using this IR it has become one of my favourite Axe FX III patches at the moment …

Yeah, the Friedman pack has an M25 mix called “Mix PX” that I made specifically for this tone, so that bad boy with the HBE will get you in Phil X territory in no time. :)
I purchased the FDMN pak, have not seen this mix cab in the back, is there anyway I wouldn't have it in the folder?

I purchased the FDMN pak, have not seen this mix cab in the back, is there anyway I wouldn't have it in the folder?
Go to the Mixes folder, open the M25 folder, and it’s the last one on the list “M25 Mix PX.” Let me know if you need any more help, and thanks for picking up the pack!

Here's my updated take on the Phil X tone and the preset I used for it with the IR in the title. Just don't make too much fun of my sloppy playing...

Also, I made the preset with FW 13.01, so make sure you have that installed if you want to check it out.

Justin, this really sounds great even on FW 17! Thank you for putting this together as I've been recently exploring the Friedman HBE!

YA cabs are my go to cabs - nothing sounds as good as what you and your team come up with. Each cab is "musical" in it's own way - instead of just throwing a bunch of arbitrary mic positions on a cab!

In light of the new Cygnus modeling, are there any different adjustments that you find yourself making since the modeling is different from past firmwares?

Back
Top Bottom