Friedman BE-100 and FM3 - Axe-Fx III (emulate Phil X Demo)

Yep! I guess i'm just not Phil X...…

That taught me a valuable lesson, to be my own player and not copy anybody else.

Yes, this!

What you said is perfect. In the end it's all about your own playing style and your own preference of tone. Phil X sounds fantastic for what he does. But finding your own musical place is more important than anything. Who wants to just sound like someone else... ;-)

But finding inspiration from others is important too. Simply watching that Phil X video made me want to grab my guitar and rock out. And it felt great. :)

I just updated my Phil X tone with FW 12.09 to match this video with my Les Paul. I basically used his same settings and stuck a 57 on it. If anyone here has the new York Audio MRSH M25 Cab Pack, use 57-1 in the cab block and that's the tone. His settings are a little dark for my taste personally, but the goal was to recreate the tone in the video with YouTube compression. I gotta say though, it's a lot of fun to play!
Hey Justin, purchased your pack, is it in the natural phase or the minimum one and then which out of all the 71 is as you have 57v1 57m157 ce1 57oa1 hahaha
too complicated bro
thanks

Hey Justin, purchased your pack, is it in the natural phase or the minimum one and then which out of all the 71 is as you have 57v1 57m157 ce1 57oa1 hahaha
too complicated bro
thanks
Hahaha! It’s not too complicated brother. I meant 57m-1. If I ever reference cap edge or off-axis I’ll use the CE or OA when talking about it. The vintage 57 (57v) was added after I shot the modern 57 (57m), and I forgot to specify the version in my earlier post. Sorry about that. I say just pick the one that rips the hardest to you and go for it!

I totally agree. His settings are a bit on the bassy side for my taste, but they feel great for lead work. I tend to like Friedmans with the bass and/or depth reduced a bit. Extra points for bringing up the high cut filter in the amp’s preamp page if you want a little more air out of those amps.

Of course when I import this to my FM3, it gets dislocated :(
Thanks for making this though York Audio ! Love your IR's !

I thought he was demoing the HBE. The Friedman's sound dark on my FRFR rig. But I do use the pre-amp w/ power modeling off when I run to my DSL 40 FX Loop in. I've seen a lot of video where folks a getting GREAT tones out of the Friedman models. The cab selection is key too. I'm pretty sure he was using v30's. But I saw a video of Dave Friedman saying he liked to pair a v30 withe a greenback. Of course that may just be in the studio, not an actual cab with two different speakers. He was talking with Rick Beato, so in that context I'm guessing the latter is true.

That's actually what Jerry Cantrell of Alice in Chains does in his rig. V30 and Greenback make a cool combo. In my own go-to Axe-FX III patch I use the HBE 2018 model with an ENGL 4x12" V30 IR for high gain tones and then a scene for lower gain tones that uses a Marshall 4x12" w/ Greenbacks as the IR. Funny enough, high and low gain have identical amp settings. Switching the IR makes enough difference in how big/small the tone is and how saturated/dynamic everything sounds.

Here's my updated take on the Phil X tone and the preset I used for it with the IR in the title. Just don't make too much fun of my sloppy playing...

I finally finished shooting the Friedman 4x12 like the one he uses in the video and it's amazing how much of a difference it made using a Friedman cab vs my Marshall cab with Greenbacks. There really is something unique about what they do and it was interesting to hear how different those two cabs sound. Anyway, if any of you end up picking up the cab pack, I used the YA FDMN 412 M25 Mix PX for the IR. That should get you right in the ballpark.

Also, I made the preset with FW 13.01, so make sure you have that installed if you want to check it out.

Attachments

• YA Phil X - FDMN 412 M25 Mix PX.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 151
An actual BE100 I run the bass pretty close to 10. In comparison to many other amps, they tend to be kind of anemic in the lows. The HBE model in the III is pretty spot on, given the same IR.

The BE-100 model in the Axe-FX is the high gain channel set to 'BE Mode' which means the additional saturation circuit is switched OFF.
The HBE-100 model is the same amp channel, but set to 'HBE Mode' which means extra diode clipping is added, this circuit is now switched ON.

Cab selection is everything: in my go-to preset I use the HBE 2018 model with an ENGL 4x12" w/ V30s and a Marshall 1960 4x12" with Greenbacks. Switching between the two is like having ultra-high gain (V30) and medium-high gain (Greeback) tones.

As mentioned before, they're fairly dark, bass heavy amps and still it's recommended to set the Bass knob very high. I think I have mine maxed out and I really like what it does, especially with the Master Volume cranked. Very thick, growly tones. Lots of EL34 grind in that one. It's still not a real Friedman, but it's the second best option I would say. Great for a daily dose of Alice in Chains/Jerry Cantrell worship ;-)

A lot of Phil's tone in that clip comes from his hands and how he obliterates the guitar with his pick attack. If you want to get close to that sound, you can't be afraid to hit those strings like they insulted your mother.
Exactly that. PS : plus the P90 PU

Last edited:
The BE-100 model in the Axe-FX is the high gain channel set to 'BE Mode' which means the additional saturation circuit is switched OFF.
The HBE-100 model is the same amp channel, but set to 'HBE Mode' which means extra diode clipping is added, this circuit is now switched ON.

Cab selection is everything: in my go-to preset I use the HBE 2018 model with an ENGL 4x12" w/ V30s and a Marshall 1960 4x12" with Greenbacks. Switching between the two is like having ultra-high gain (V30) and medium-high gain (Greeback) tones.

As mentioned before, they're fairly dark, bass heavy amps and still it's recommended to set the Bass knob very high. I think I have mine maxed out and I really like what it does, especially with the Master Volume cranked. Very thick, growly tones. Lots of EL34 grind in that one. It's still not a real Friedman, but it's the second best option I would say. Great for a daily dose of Alice in Chains/Jerry Cantrell worship ;-)

How do you end up cutting lows with the HBE? Are you doing it with pre-EQ, cut switch, depth knob, or IR low cut?

Here's my updated take on the Phil X tone and the preset I used for it with the IR in the title. Just don't make too much fun of my sloppy playing...

I finally finished shooting the Friedman 4x12 like the one he uses in the video and it's amazing how much of a difference it made using a Friedman cab vs my Marshall cab with Greenbacks. There really is something unique about what they do and it was interesting to hear how different those two cabs sound. Anyway, if any of you end up picking up the cab pack, I used the YA FDMN 412 M25 Mix PX for the IR. That should get you right in the ballpark.

Also, I made the preset with FW 13.01, so make sure you have that installed if you want to check it out.

Sounds awesome, will definitely pick this up (maybe I’ll actually use it!).

I tend to play with my pick at an angle, with medium heavy picks, preferably with sharp tips. So I tend to have an overly aggressive attack, which helps!

Back
Top Bottom