Friedman ASM12 ....missing something

Heavyplayer

Experienced
Hey guys,

So I recently bought the Friedman ASM12, first frfr unit by the way. And I been playing around with everything I know of but seems it's missing something. I got a Music man JP100D, and the sound I'm getting sounds like the volume is rolled down about half way
(which it isn't) and with the pickup switched to the middle position.

I've tried messing with the I/O Instrument level, the Input level, the front panel Input level, Global EQ, even tried the EQ in the amp block, I've even adjusted the cab block low/high cut. The bass cut is engaged on the
Friedman. Also it's set to left only. Am I missing something or is it how the Friedman or frfr is suppose to sound? Again it doesn't sound horrible it just seems like it's missing quite a bit of input level, and cranking up the gain more sounds terrible.

Any and all advise is appreciated.

What's your experience before the Friedman FRFR? Do you have experience with playing through studio monitors? Or just guitar cabs?

The Friedman ASM & ASC aren't exactly FRFR. They have a colored response and will shape your tone. You should be able to tweak a usable tone out of it still, but it would take a bit of extra work if what you wanted was an FRFR that would be neutral and transparent to what the Axe-Fx is putting out.

Yeah I've seen that video. I think what I need to know is what are the basic settings for frfr? I want to make sure everything is correct before I get to caught up dialing in tones. What is everyone setting their frfr volume at vs front panel output levels etc.

What's your experience before the Friedman FRFR? Do you have experience with playing through studio monitors? Or just guitar cabs?

The Friedman ASM & ASC aren't exactly FRFR. They have a colored response and will shape your tone. You should be able to tweak a usable tone out of it still, but it would take a bit of extra work if what you wanted was an FRFR that would be neutral and transparent to what the Axe-Fx is putting out.

I have very little experience with studio monitors. I had a pair of Yamaha when I fist got the Axefx on fw 9, and hated them. I have more time with 4x12 then anything, yeah I know sounds like I'm chasing the "amp in the room" but not really.

After spending more time with the Friedman it's sounding like it should as I was comparing the tone with my headphones. I still feel like I'm missing more output or something, but could just be me as I haven't played a real amp in quite some time. That's why I want to double check how others have theirs setup.

I think what I need to know is what are the basic settings for frfr? I want to make sure everything is correct before I get to caught up dialing in tones. What is everyone setting their frfr volume at vs front panel output levels etc.
You want to do what's called "gain staging." Depends on how the Friedman is designed, but traditionally, you'll want to roll up the output of the Axe-Fx as much as you can before you start to see red "clipping" light on the FRFR. Then use the FRFR's master volume to desired loudness. This will get you good signal to noise, and loud as safely possible with the FRFR turned up if you need to go loud.

One last thing and I think I'm all set. In the I/O page 2, should the output1 mode be copy L-R or stereo? I've read a few different things on this and all I'm running is one FRFR.

One last thing and I think I'm all set. In the I/O page 2, should the output1 mode be copy L-R or stereo? I've read a few different things on this and all I'm running is one FRFR.
Here's @Rex's excellent answer from 2016, you can usually find these things with a bit of searching ;)
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/stereo-or-l-r-sum-or-copy-l-r.114910/#post-1373807

Here are your choices:

1) Keep it in stereo mode, and accept that fact that you'll only get one channel of the sound.

2) Put it into Copy L>R mode, and accept the fact that you'll only get one channel of sound.

3) Put it into SUM mode and get both channels mixed together—and accept that fact that certain stereo effects will cause phase cancellation.

As to which jack to plug into, the left jack is also labeled "MONO."

Back
Top Bottom