Friedman Asm versus 4x12 cab

cragginshred

Fractal Fanatic
How well can the asm hold up to those of you used the 4x12 cabs? I just got my Ax8 and have it really dialed in and am using a Matrix power amp to drive to 4x12's and love it, however these have perked my interest fo rthe obvious reasons.
I absolutely do not like 2x12 cabs due to lack of punch.
I have however, used a CLR/RCF stereo combo in the past which def floated my boat.

There is someone here on the forum (can't remember which forum member) that went from 4x12s to a pair of Friedman ASM-12s and said it sounds as full, and as loud as his 4x12s. If you read thru the ASM-12 posts you'll find the one.

I only have one right now and when I crank it is just fills the room and sounds great. I use mine titled back when I'm jamming.

My ASM has PLENTY of punch, and it fills the room just RR mentioned above. It is full-sounding and in my experience, it does keep up with a 4x12 no problem. Mind the guitarist in my band was running his JCM900 with a Marshall quad and it kept up no problemo's.

Definitely find the Friedman ASM thread somewhere on the Amps And Cabs page and read up a bit, if you think that will help..

I have two Friedmans in stereo and they are stomping. I was playing through four KRANK 4x12 cabs with a VHT 2/90/2 and while not quite as loud and punchy, they are really close. The one thing I've noticed and it happened with my Friedman's and a pair of QSC K-12's I have, is the bass sometimes farts out. I'm wondering if its the room I'm in because stuff rattles and buzzes when I play loud. Or if its just FRFR. I have a pair of CLR's coming this week so I'll find out how they do.

I have two Friedmans in stereo and they are stomping. I was playing through four KRANK 4x12 cabs with a VHT 2/90/2 and while not quite as loud and punchy, they are really close. The one thing I've noticed and it happened with my Friedman's and a pair of QSC K-12's I have, is the bass sometimes farts out. I'm wondering if its the room I'm in because stuff rattles and buzzes when I play loud. Or if its just FRFR. I have a pair of CLR's coming this week so I'll find out how they do.

Isn't that interesting.. I've never had or heard mine 'fart out' as you say.. Hmmm.. I wonder how or why that has happened..? o_O

Knock on wood, my ASM has been A-OK since day one.. I've said it before and I'll say it again; you can't go wrong with a Friedman..

How well can the asm hold up to those of you used the 4x12 cabs? I just got my Ax8 and have it really dialed in and am using a Matrix power amp to drive to 4x12's and love it, however these have perked my interest fo rthe obvious reasons.
I absolutely do not like 2x12 cabs due to lack of punch.
I have however, used a CLR/RCF stereo combo in the past which def floated my boat.

Like others have said, it holds up well and sounds awesome. Plenty loud and cuts through nicely. I'm sure you will be happy with it...

I have an ASM and a Matrix Fr212. The Matrix handles the low end and kicks me in the ass and the Friedman in front as a monitor. The combo is heaven. I think the Matrix is a tad bit flatter but that could just be my ears. To me the ASM is slightly more scooped and has a bit more high end. Still sounds amazing though.

Do you have the low end switch on or off? I turned mine off and haven't missed it. I just bump up the depth or bass if I need more. Nice option to have either way. My guitars have some great low end anyway (Les Paul and G&L with Bass Boost) so never an issue.

Do you have the low end switch on or off? I turned mine off and haven't missed it. I just bump up the depth or bass if I need more. Nice option to have either way. My guitars have some great low end anyway (Les Paul and G&L with Bass Boost) so never an issue.
I've been experimenting today. Normally I have the switch to off which is no bass cut. With it on its a 100HZ cut. I moved both of them across the room and the sound was so different. I have a crappy room for acoustics. Its the back half of my store which is about 120ft long and about 25ft wide and its all concrete wall with tile ceiling. The front half is carpet and the back half is concrete floor and I'm having a terrible time with acoustics. I need some dampening added to some of the surfaces. Its basically a big tunnel. I've had the speakers on stands and on the floor and one will be super bassy and one not. Still trying

I have an ASM and a Matrix Fr212. The Matrix handles the low end and kicks me in the ass and the Friedman in front as a monitor. The combo is heaven. I think the Matrix is a tad bit flatter but that could just be my ears. To me the ASM is slightly more scooped and has a bit more high end. Still sounds amazing though.

This is a great combo to have man.. would love to hear these two beasts side-by-side to see and hear how they stack up against each other, and, how well they work together.. I reckon it'd be tonal bliss!! Nice one mate..

This is a great combo to have man.. would love to hear these two beasts side-by-side to see and hear how they stack up against each other, and, how well they work together.. I reckon it'd be tonal bliss!! Nice one mate..

I really like both of them. The Matrix is the most cab like Frfr monitor i've played yet. (While still remaining very flat) Both of them are great together and im very happy.

Ive always left my low cut on. Its still boomy as much as a real cab.

I just bought an asm! Should be here Fri
I love how my 2 Marshall 4x12's sound with my Ax8, however the asm will give me a grab n go rig as well as; smaller venue option, ect!
Stoked,...thanks for all the info and encouragement guys!

I get my CLR's tomorrow so I'll post how my comparison goes with them and my Friedman's. I should just run all four!!!

Crap, now I can't remember if mine is on or off. :) I know there is less low end so I guess it is on. :)

You should run all four! Definitely does not need to be a "this or that" situation. If I had CLRs, I'd run those suckers with my ASM-12.

I'm really curious to hear the comparison because not many folks have had the CLR and the ASM-12 so wondering about the differences. I know Yek did not care for the ASM-12 at all and there have been other great players on the forum who don't like the CLR so it is really difficult to figure out the best solution. We all have different tones in our head and ideal sounds.

I imagine that the ASM-12 sounds more scooped in a comparison and also seems like the CLR would sound nearly identical to what you hear thru computer speakers. Looking forward to it!

I get my CLR's tomorrow so I'll post how my comparison goes with them and my Friedman's. I should just run all four!!!

Let us know when you're playing at Wembley and we'll be there!!! We wanna hear the 4 in action!

In all honesty REDD man, I personally can't wait to get your honest thoughts on the CLR vs ASM comparison.. whatever the outcome may be..

Just got them, hit three chords and the heat and air repair guy showed up! I have to wait till he is done to Krank it! I'll post my findings soon.

Attachments

• _20160421_142532.JPG
    _20160421_142532.JPG
    120.6 KB · Views: 164
Back
Top Bottom