Friedman ASM or EV ZLX12p

D20

Power User
hi everyone,
I've read a bit on both of these. I have the chance to pick up the ASM for a really good price locally. I'm just wondering if anyone has had experience with the ASM? Is it loud enough to compete with another guitar and bass and drums? Is it preferred to the zlx12p?

Any advice is much appreciated!!!

Thanks in advance everyone!

The ASC/ASM sounds awesome and very "amp-like" but it's a let down volume wise. That's not to say it's not loud but I was hoping it would "peel paint off the wall" but it doesn't. I'd compare it to a little louder than a 15-20 watt combo amp. I did use it on a gig a few weeks ago and it was loud enough for me to hear myself with a drummer and the rest of the band. I had the volume on on 6.
Hope this helps!

Hmmm, strange since I've heard from others that the ASM can peel paint. I have 2 ASMs and a Marshall JMP 50 watt head with a Friedman 412. I've never challenged them to a volume contest since I play mostly at home. I assumed the ASMs would be similar to a 212 cab and able to keep up with an around 50 watt tube head. Is this not the case?

That's not been my experience with the ASC-12. It sounds incredible for sure but my Yamaha DXR10 blows it out of the room as far as volume goes!

Last edited:
I have a EV ZLX12p and I don't like using it with any Fractal unit. It just sounds too brash and harsh for me, and I don't think it does Fractal justice. Yes, I tried plenty of IR's and sure, maybe you can tweak the shit out of it, but there are much better options out there.

IMHO, if an amp/cab is any good, you should be able to get great sound without much hassle.

I never tried a Friedman ASM, so I can't remark on it.

I have many real amps and cabinets, an AX FX unit can easily emulate just about any of them... but using a weak amp/cab all bets are off.

Good luck on your quest.

Never used the ASM but the Yamaha line of PA speakers are really nice and work well with the Axe. I use a DXR12 model and very happy with volume and tone translates well.

Thanks for all the replies everyone. Well the ASM I was looking at got away from me. Call it fate I guess. I've had my interest peaked with the DRX10 or DRX12 now at this point. Sucks cuz no one around me has them so I would have to buy without trying. I want to get something that will hopefully translate guitar and bass well...if that's possible?

Volume-wise, the DXR10 is plenty loud. Even with a drummer, it's still the loudest thing in the room. We use a pair of DXR10s (with subs) for FOH. It should do well as a bass and guitar monitor, though the 12 would give you a few more Hz on the low end.

The ASC/ASM sounds awesome and very "amp-like" but it's a let down volume wise. That's not to say it's not loud but I was hoping it would "peel paint off the wall" but it doesn't. I'd compare it to a little louder than a 15-20 watt combo amp. I did use it on a gig a few weeks ago and it was loud enough for me to hear myself with a drummer and the rest of the band. I had the volume on on 6.
Hope this helps!
Bump.

Do you think a second ASM12 would help enough with the volume?

I can see what you mean, because I play it at home set to noon and the FM 3 around 1 o'clock and it's nowhere near loud enough for my band's levels at practice, and doesn't even seem close to approaching it. Gigs, it'd probably be okay - although I'd like to have some headroom - but we practice in a big room with high ceilings and thick curtains and a loud drummer. I usually a Mesa Electra Dyne head and Trad 4x12, which is loud AF, lol.

I just don't think this ASM will cut it, but would two maybe do it?

(Although then I might as well bring the head and 4x12, its actually easier to move around... ⁉️ :D)

Bump.

Do you think a second ASM12 would help enough with the volume?

I can see what you mean, because I play it at home set to noon and the FM 3 around 1 o'clock and it's nowhere near loud enough for my band's levels at practice, and doesn't even seem close to approaching it. Gigs, it'd probably be okay - although I'd like to have some headroom - but we practice in a big room with high ceilings and thick curtains and a loud drummer. I usually a Mesa Electra Dyne head and Trad 4x12, which is loud AF, lol.

I just don't think this ASM will cut it, but would two maybe do it?

(Although then I might as well bring the head and 4x12, its actually easier to move around... ⁉️ :D)
What happens when you turn either volume up higher ? Both at 50% of their dial could be leaving a lot of your usual volume unused. (50% doesn't mean half)

Try the asm at max. Also check the fm3 output is +4 (turn volume down before changing).

Don't be afraid of higher values, but do listen for signs of anything reaching it's limits - asm amp distortion, speaker limits etc.

Fwiw, I run my frfr at max without any problems (JBL srx812p)

Don't conclude that your monitor won't cut it until you've turned it up far enough to find out whether it'll cut it. :)

Try the asm at max. Also check the fm3 output is +4 (turn volume down before changing).
Thank you!

I actually checked this a couple days ago and it made a huge difference, as you can imagine.

I felt silly: I didn’t realize the FM3’s Output 1 default wasn’t line level for FRFR.

Lots more volume available now. Still think I might need two, though. :rotflmao

Two ASC-12s would be pretty cool, or one ASC and one ASM...

Back
Top Bottom