Friedman ASM Boomy

serge20261

Inspired
I'm just settling in to this new technology,after having my XL for a couple of days I received my Friedman ASM today. I know a lot of you guys love them,for me not so,having said that I'm sure there's a plethora of settings I've yet to discover.
In my humble opinion they are boomy,very fllubby low end regardless of where I set the switch on the cab.
I also have a QSC K12 which I tried total opposite no low end.
What recommendations would you guys advise I should do ?
I'm now considering the CLR any opinions

the k12 has way too much low end in my opinion, so this is a surprising statement. how is your Global Graphic EQ set on the Axe? can you upload a preset so we can hear what you are hearing?

Dude I'd send you a patch but I'm an Axe-ii user, not XL etc.. Otherwise I'd send you a handful of my fave ones..

you could try using the global eq to dial out the frequencies you don't like. maybe play some music through it, so you can hear what's going on right across the frequency spectrum without having to play at the same time. make a patch that's just shunts and run your phone or mp3 player into the rear input. once you get it sounding as balanced as you can using the global eq, i'm sure you'll like it a lot more.

the k12 has way too much low end in my opinion, so this is a surprising statement. how is your Global Graphic EQ set on the Axe? can you upload a preset so we can hear what you are hearing?
Unfortunatly the Axe is in our rehearsal room in another location,I didn't even know that there was a global EQ
The K12 are definaltly not low end heavy,the ASM is
I'll try to download a patch tomorrow for you albeit it's just the standard presets haven't really tweaked them such as the JCM 800 the Friedman HB sound very bassy on the ASM and thin with the QSC

you could try using the global eq to dial out the frequencies you don't like. maybe play some music through it, so you can hear what's going on right across the frequency spectrum without having to play at the same time. make a patch that's just shunts and run your phone or mp3 player into the rear input. once you get it sounding as balanced as you can using the global eq, i'm sure you'll like it a lot more.
Thanks for your suggestion I'll give it a go,noob time is the EQ under Global switch

XL can load non-XL presets.

i think if you'd ask anyone, the K12 speaker is definitely boomy and has a lot of low end. so that's kinda weird :)

As a side note I don't think the K12 is boomy. I use a CLR neo and absolutely love it. If I didn't have it, I'd probably use a K12 or a KW122. And BTW, the new Bose F1 812 sounds FANTASTIC with the Axe! Great tip Simeon!

the global eq is right at the end of the audio chain, so it will affect all your patches. the idea is to use it to make corrective adjustments for your speaker. you have two sets of outputs and two global eq's (one for each output), so if you want to record, or send to the pa with a different (or no) eq, you can just use the other set of outs

I have not tried the ASM but I always feel all to way speakers like that have some boom. The K def has it. Turning on the sub ext on it cuts alot if it out. If you think they k doesn't have low end the sub ext might be on already so it has cut it for you. I always used low cut in the can block to keep my lows in check

Play 'Take the Power Back' by RATM through it to examine the EQ. Find an original copy - no better song to test the EQ of a playback system

As a side note I don't think the K12 is boomy. I use a CLR neo and absolutely love it. If I didn't have it, I'd probably use a K12 or a KW122. And BTW, the new Bose F1 812 sounds FANTASTIC with the Axe! Great tip Simeon!

same here, I have no issues with "boomyness" with the k12, on some stages the bass is more pronounced do to it being wood and hollow, so I just adjust it on the fly. People just need to learn their speakers, just like guys who mix "know" their monitors.

Odd you are getting no low end out of the k12 though, it can rattle shit off my walls.

I'm just settling in to this new technology,after having my XL for a couple of days I received my Friedman ASM today. I know a lot of you guys love them,for me not so,having said that I'm sure there's a plethora of settings I've yet to discover.
In my humble opinion they are boomy,very fllubby low end regardless of where I set the switch on the cab.
What recommendations would you guys advise I should do ?
I'm now considering the CLR any opinions
I just got a pair of CLR's, and I was using the Friedman ASM-12's and before that it was my QSC K12's. I am in total agreement with you . The QSC's are a little thin and the ASM's are a little boomy and the CLR's are just right.

As far as comparing the CLR to the Asm it is pre set and mostly IR contingent. I got so frustrated with getting a good tone toward the end of owning a CLR and I did not have time to try hundreds of IR's. The unit was great I just could not find and IR that worked for me.
Fortunately with the asm Ax8 and a couple of kick ass IR's (Freman created -buy his pre set pack) and I am in tonal heaven -just bought my 2nd asm last night $799 while they last as the price just went up to $899.

With the low switch off it is not boomy as all- all about tone shaping in the axe!

Back
Top Bottom