Friedman ASM-12

Schrocker

Im looking at the friedman asm 12 powered speaker, to the guy's using it , what do you think of it, and how does it stack up against the Atomic CLR or the Matrix 12 , it seems these are the most talked about

I have the Matrix FR12's 2 of them for running stereo and they are plenty loud. I play with a loud drummer and have no problem getting my volumes up the only beef I have with the Matrix FR12 speakers is the low level hiss when they are at idle and also no speaker stand inserts to mount them on tri pods. They have an update to eliminate the "hiss" in the near future from what I understand. I was going to go with the Friedman ASM12's but the weight factor was a huge deterrence.

I use an asm12 and I love it. It’s big and quiet heavy, the handle is on the bottom which means it sits funny but it sounds great. I’ve used it a lot live and it feels just like using an amp.

I’d highly recommend it.

Does the ASM-12 color the sound more than the typical FRFR monitor?

I’m asking because I’ll want to get some sort of FRFR for my new AX8 soon. It seems like it would be hard to get a feel for your true sound if your guitar backline FRFR monitor sounds different than the FOH speakers that the audience hears.

Thanks.

Many threads in this. The cliff notes are.. top 3 FRFR solutions are the friedmans, the CLR's, and more recently the xitone. I have the asms and the sound is great but it heavy and ackward. Based on reviews it seems like the xitones sound just as good and much lighter and easy to carry.

Same here... using 1 and it sounds awesome! Just wish it was a bit lighter and that the handle wasn't in such a ridiculous place...

+1 to all that.

+2 to all of the above!

Your answer is in the above threads mate.. The ASM is more 'natural cab like', whereas the CLR is probably 'flatter in response' than the ASM. But if you want it sound a bit more cab-like, go with the ASM. Yes it's bigger and more awkward to carry but the sound speaks for itself. The more tiem you spend dialing in sounds and getting to know it, the better it will sound (generally).

I like milk chocolate, you might like dark chocolate.. you like Fender, I like Gibson.. you watch Jersey Shore and I definitely don't!! Lol - you get the idea.

I have the Friedman, 2 CLR’s and 2 XiTone’s. The Friedman is great. Very heavy so I leave it at our rehearsal space. It sounds awesome though. It is a little bass heavy which gives it a nice cab like thump but not exactly flat. The CLR’s are awesome. I leave them at home to create my presets on and practice with. So far my presets have translated very well to all the PA systems we’ve encountered. But they are very expensive so I leave them at home. I gig with my XiTone’s. I have 2 powered 1x12’s purchased a few years ago. They are fantastic. They sound amazing. A nice cab like quality to them, fairly lightweight at 38lbs. and with the Line X coating are built like tanks making them ideal for gigging.

Like Bishop5150....

2- Friedmans stay at home ...heavy and awkward Awesome sound though

2-CLR Great but expensive and dont try to contact them.... its like they dont exist

Gig with 2-Xitone wedges service is freaking awesome and they sound awesome! I wish i would have just bought the Xitones first!

I have the Friedman, 2 CLR’s and 2 XiTone’s. The Friedman is great. Very heavy so I leave it at our rehearsal space. It sounds awesome though. It is a little bass heavy which gives it a nice cab like thump but not exactly flat. The CLR’s are awesome. I leave them at home to create my presets on and practice with. So far my presets have translated very well to all the PA systems we’ve encountered. But they are very expensive so I leave them at home. I gig with my XiTone’s. I have 2 powered 1x12’s purchased a few years ago. They are fantastic. They sound amazing. A nice cab like quality to them, fairly lightweight at 38lbs. and with the Line X coating are built like tanks making them ideal for gigging.
I have the CLR'S and the Friedman's and have been contemplating the Xitones for a while now. So do the Xitones sound as good or better than the Friedman's? Not as good? Also, the Xitones aren't as flat response as the CLR'S? If the Friedman's were light weight and coated would you take them to gigs or the Xitones still?

I've got an ASM and for me it was/is the final piece of the puzzle with the AX8 as the Fractal is my first digital system. The ASM really makes the AX8 tones sound how I want and I'd get another if I could justify the cost.
I've not found the weight too much of an issue, weight wise it reminds me of a decent sized head. But I work out so it's not too much of an issue for me.
However I did pick up a Laney IRT to take to rehearsals and would get one of the small Matrix's too, but having a range of cabs is handy

Overall I'm really really pleased with the ASM

I have the CLR'S and the Friedman's and have been contemplating the Xitones for a while now. So do the Xitones sound as good or better than the Friedman's? Not as good? Also, the Xitones aren't as flat response as the CLR'S? If the Friedman's were light weight and coated would you take them to gigs or the Xitones still?
The XiTone’s aren’t as flat as the CLR’s. They are a little darker and have a more “cab” like quality to their sound. The CLR’s are by far the flattest of the 3. If the Friedman’s were lighter I would probably use them for gigging. They really do have that great cab punch sound to them.

I have now 2 weeks the new Friedman ASC12 and it sounds great...and not so awkward to carry around anymore, it looks like a normal cab or combo. But yes, still a bit heavy...but like we were taught many years ago : if something needs a big sound it will come across with some weight....maybe a myth...but ok the ASC sounds great for me. Always used a real cab so far but now making use of CAB sims in the axe : it opens a whole new tonal world for me.....

I've got a Matrix FR10 and love it. More than enough power and very light at 21lbs. I'm in NYC and haul my stuff around on subways so every pound matters. I got a little kickback speaker stand so I can angle it up on the stage.

I'm surprised to see always mentionnned the weight of the Friedman as a negative. According to the spec sheet, its 52lbs, so 23kg. So yes it's more than my Yamaha DXR 10 (17.5 kg), but not that much!!?

Am I missing something?!

I sold my ASM due to the hassle of trying to haul it. I'll probably grab an ASC soon as the Friedman was the best sounding of all the speakers I've tried (Xitone is the only speaker I have yet to try). After I sold it I thought I could have just installed a couple more handles on each side to make it easier to carry. Hindsight.

I'm surprised to see always mentionnned the weight of the Friedman as a negative. According to the spec sheet, its 52lbs, so 23kg. So yes it's more than my Yamaha DXR 10 (17.5 kg), but not that much!!?

Am I missing something?!
The size and shape of it, plus the location of the handle making it awkward to carry, makes it seem heavier than it really is.

The size and shape of it, plus the location of the handle making it awkward to carry, makes it seem heavier than it really is.
Yes to this - you have to kind of wrestle it to do anything. The handle being on the bottom makes you need to set it down on one end and then lay it down (and I at least want to do that somewhat gently). Then when you're ready to go, you have to get it up on one end again to grab the handle. For me, if I carry it with the wedged part on the inside when I'm walking, it cuts right into the bend of my knee too. Seems silly to even type it. hahahah. But it is heavy and bulky and awkward. I will deal with that for the sound that it puts out though.

Back
Top Bottom