Friedman ASM-12

Good info - I was surprised at no 1/4" in (I apparently didn't read up on that prior to purchasing. Not a huge deal but still. I can see where the weight would come into the equation with that many shows!!

Glad to hear that it does it's job though - that's awesome.

Yeah i just run XLR out to FOH and use a TRS 1/4" to XLR cable to my friedman. I used to have a radial DI do the conversion, but once i realized the outputs were already balanced, I was losing some volume in the radial.

Check out the XiTone's man. I don't gig as much as you but we have a few out of town dates a year and at 38lbs they are awesome. Highly recommend them. I have the Friedman, CLR's and the XiTone's.
http://www.xitonecabs.com/models/active-1x12-wedge/index.html
Ive heard nothing but great things about Micks work and the Xitone stuff. I was really considering a 2x12 with a rack space for my GT1000 that just lays around, but I was after lightweight as most of our shows im more or less carrying something to move my pants on stage, not sound reinforcement. I ended up going with a single FR12 from Matrix. Ill give it a few days and see if its the one and if its not, im definitely going Xitone as CLR just seems like way too much cash.

Ive heard nothing but great things about Micks work and the Xitone stuff. I was really considering a 2x12 with a rack space for my GT1000 that just lays around, but I was after lightweight as most of our shows im more or less carrying something to move my pants on stage, not sound reinforcement. I ended up going with a single FR12 from Matrix. Ill give it a few days and see if its the one and if its not, im definitely going Xitone as CLR just seems like way too much cash.
I've heard nothing but good things about the Matrix stuff. I have the GT1000 myself for when and if I ever decide to use a real cab just in case. My buddy was on the fence as to what FRFR to buy as well. He did a shoot out with all his friends FRFR's at his studio. He had the Friedman, Matrix, CLR. XiTone and Mission. The XiTone won. CLR came in second. I keep my CLR's at home to create my presets on. They are so good for that. All my presets have carried over to FOH systems perfectly since I've gotten them. Before, the FOH guys would make minor tweaks to the highs and lows on my channel but since creating them on the CLR's they haven't had to make any adjustments. The XiTone's have a little more thump to them which is why I like them for gigging. I set them up in stereo as my backline so I still get that cab like feel onstage.

I've heard nothing but good things about the Matrix stuff. I have the GT1000 myself for when and if I ever decide to use a real cab just in case. My buddy was on the fence as to what FRFR to buy as well. He did a shoot out with all his friends FRFR's at his studio. He had the Friedman, Matrix, CLR. XiTone and Mission. The XiTone won. CLR came in second. I keep my CLR's at home to create my presets on. They are so good for that. All my presets have carried over to FOH systems perfectly since I've gotten them. Before, the FOH guys would make minor tweaks to the highs and lows on my channel but since creating them on the CLR's they haven't had to make any adjustments. The XiTone's have a little more thump to them which is why I like them for gigging. I set them up in stereo as my backline so I still get that cab like feel onstage.

I have two Friedman's and two CLR's but have been considering the Xitone's for some time now. So would you recommend the Xitone's over the others for live use? If so, for sound or for weight? Both? Thanks man

For both. I think the XiTone's sound every bit as good as my Friedman and CLR's. The XiTone's are lighter than the Friedman and are about the same weight as the CLR's (about 3lbs heavier I think) but have a bit more cab like quality than the CLR's. Hard to beat the CLR's overall though. They are perfect for creating presets on.

Id love to have a stereo rig behind me, but itll just go mono to FOH so its really just more for my own enjoyment. But that also just means one more thing for someone to probably drop or mess up when they are loading it. I almost bought a second ASM and boy am I glad that I didnt or else one would probably be thrown in a river down in georgia or something becuase i got tired of carrying it around.

For both. I think the XiTone's sound every bit as good as my Friedman and CLR's. The XiTone's are lighter than the Friedman and are about the same weight as the CLR's (about 3lbs heavier I think) but have a bit more cab like quality than the CLR's. Hard to beat the CLR's overall though. They are perfect for creating presets on.

How does the High end/treble compare between the XiTone and the Friedman? One thing that intrigues me about the Friedman is that many people report it has a smoother high end than most FRFR's. Since harsh top end is what bothers me most with FRFR, I'm looking in to the Friedman. How is the XiTone in this department?

The XiTone is just as smooth. I will say this. I had my XiTone's first. That's what I use to create my presets on. They sounded great live but the soundguys we're always rolling off some high end on my channel that I couldn't hear in my XiTone's. Once I got my CLR's I could instantly hear that high end they were talking about and adjusted my presets. You really can't go wrong with any of them. They are all top quality in sound and build.

These are amazing monitors. The sound quality with the ASM + AX8 is better than any tube amp + cab I've owned.

I have two currently, but one isn't seeing much use. Looking to sell it if anyone here is interested...

These are amazing monitors. The sound quality with the ASM + AX8 is better than any tube amp + cab I've owned.

I have two currently, but one isn't seeing much use. Looking to sell it if anyone here is interested...
Does having two ASM-12's sound incredible running in stereo, or is it just overkill for home studio use? I setup the AX8 "sum to mono" and it sounds great. I'm assuming that I'm just missing out on the stereo spread for delay, chorus, etc. I wouldn't need the extra power, and my tube setup will always be mono.

I'm really pleased with my ASM. I got it off of eBay for half the price of a new one. I was just about to pull the trigger on a Matrix FR12 but the Friedman popped up and it was near to where I live in England and a very good price so I figured I'd try it as I really wanted one anyway

I'd love another one but I think I'll get one of the Matrix's as not only a contrast but they physically smaller and it'd be nice to have a couple of cab options open to me

Does having two ASM-12's sound incredible running in stereo, or is it just overkill for home studio use? I setup the AX8 "sum to mono" and it sounds great. I'm assuming that I'm just missing out on the stereo spread for delay, chorus, etc. I wouldn't need the extra power, and my tube setup will always be mono.

Sadly, I haven't had a reason to run them in stereo. One lives at home and one lives at my office. I can only imagine how amazing it must sound.

Last edited:
Sadly, I haven't had a reason to run them in stereo. One lives at home and one lives at my office. I can only imaging how amazing it must sound.

I use my monitors in stereo (CLRs though) and highly recommend it - it's not overkill for home use at all - it sounds glorious!

I use my monitors in stereo (CLRs though) and highly recommend it - it's not overkill for home use at all - it sounds glorious!

For sure. I live in a modest apartment, so one is more than plenty for my use. I'd like to see where Friedman takes this technology, hopefully into a traditional cabinet shape...seems like rumors are already circulating. I ended up with two because I found a good deal on eBay for two with free shipping. They don't pop up on the used market that often, and I figured I could just sell the other one.

For sure. I live in a modest apartment, so one is more than plenty for my use. I'd like to see where Friedman takes this technology, hopefully into a traditional cabinet shape...seems like rumors are already circulating. I ended up with two because I found a good deal on eBay for two with free shipping. They don't pop up on the used market that often, and I figured I could just sell the other one.

Good deal! Where are you mate? If you're nearby (I'm just north of Newcastle), I'd love to hear them sometime!

Incidentally, I found putting two right next to each other made things sound quite bass heavy and boomy. Separating them a little though resulted in sonic bliss :)

Good deal! Where are you mate? If you're nearby (I'm just north of Newcastle), I'd love to hear them sometime!

Incidentally, I found putting two right next to each other made things sound quite bass heavy and boomy. Separating them a little though resulted in sonic bliss :)

San Francisco, but you're welcome anytime.

What's up with the banner?
You're not knocking the Kicktags on the head or is there a re-brand on the way?

Back
Top Bottom