Friedman ASM-12

Brian Coonan

Power User
I will just say - I thought I loved the AX8 plugged into my computer monitors. All the people that said this thing sounds like a guitar cab were right - totally has a great "sound" or I should say, totally replicates the sound from the AX8 great. Can't wait to play live with this rig!

I hope I can get another one at some point and do the stereo set up but for now, woof. Pretty much rocks. Without doing anything to the presets I have set up - I cranked it up and it sounded awesome - I could see having to tame a few things, but, overall - almost plug and play!

One more thing to get and I'll be golden (expression pedal for wah).

Congrats. Yeah, it really does make the AX8 roar.

I got my Friedman ASM-12 a couple months ago. The sound is huge. It was a toss up between the XiTone or Friedman cab. I will probably get a XiTone down the road.

They really do sound great. I keep mine at rehearsal for band practice because it's a little heavy and awkward to carry around for gigging. I create my presets on CLR's at home and gig with XiTone's. But the ASM-12 is probably the most cab like of all 3.

They really do sound great. I keep mine at rehearsal for band practice because it's a little heavy and awkward to carry around for gigging. I create my presets on CLR's at home and gig with XiTone's. But the ASM-12 is probably the most cab like of all 3.

I just keep telling myself that for the previous 30 years of playing I've been hauling around 4x12's, 2x12's, combo's etc and this is just another thing to haul. (it really does make me feel better about it being weighty.) Plus, my mental trade off is that I get to also haul around hundreds (literally!) of amps and cabs, and the AX8 is much lighter than doing that. That's how I trick myself into dealing with it's weight as well. :D

I hear ya. It's worth it if you can do it. I had lower back surgery a couple of years ago so I gotta go light. Trying to keep playing aging rock star as long as I can. :p The CLR's and XiTone's are 35 and 38lbs. respectively. Much easier for me to carry around. So my Friedman stays at practice which is perfect. It's a small room and it fills it with the sound. Really gives off that cab punch so tricks my band mates into thinking it's a real amp setup. LOL!

The Tuki Friedman ASM-12 Padded Bag is a good investment. Keeps the size and weight relatively the same while providing transport protection. Excellent customer service. Great fit and completely encloses the monitor - less the handle. I added the pocket and had mine delivered within a few days:

http://www.tukicovers.com/amp-and-s...an/friedman-asm-12-active-monitor-padded-bag/
Nice - that's a good call. Cabinet is pretty nice looking and would be nice to keep that way as long as possible.

thanks!

Ive used an ASM for about a year now. Traveled alot with it. Im making the switch to a Matrix FR12, if Matrix will ship it...., mainly because of the weight and unweildy-ness of the ASM. The handle is in the best spot it can be, but still makes carrying the thing a chore. I do about 200 shows a year, and that thing went to id say 3/4 of them as my backline and man is it a hoss. Absolutely great tone and great feel from it but its lacking some things like a 1/4"/XLR combo jack for example. For weekend warriors and bedroom playing, its more than enough...but to travel with it, is a bit much. Especially since the only thing you can get for it is a custom cover.

I had the Tuki cover from the day i got the amp because i swear the tolex is covered in crisco. The bag has helped alot, but unfortunately the zippers are failing and one has fallen off track while the zipper itself is seperating from the bag. For 100 bucks and as many shows as i did, I cant complain.

Heard somewhere they were planning to release another cabinet wth a more traditional design.. not sure that's still going ahead? I'm using a QSC at the moment but would love to try something built specifically for modellers!

Heard somewhere they were planning to release another cabinet wth a more traditional design.. not sure that's still going ahead? I'm using a QSC at the moment but would love to try something built specifically for modellers!

I think that was confirmed to nothing more than a prototype as Dave wasnt even sure how hed make one yet. It was far from being close to a release, but who knows.

Ive used an ASM for about a year now. Traveled alot with it. Im making the switch to a Matrix FR12, if Matrix will ship it...., mainly because of the weight and unweildy-ness of the ASM. The handle is in the best spot it can be, but still makes carrying the thing a chore. I do about 200 shows a year, and that thing went to id say 3/4 of them as my backline and man is it a hoss. Absolutely great tone and great feel from it but its lacking some things like a 1/4"/XLR combo jack for example. For weekend warriors and bedroom playing, its more than enough...but to travel with it, is a bit much. Especially since the only thing you can get for it is a custom cover.

I had the Tuki cover from the day i got the amp because i swear the tolex is covered in crisco. The bag has helped alot, but unfortunately the zippers are failing and one has fallen off track while the zipper itself is seperating from the bag. For 100 bucks and as many shows as i did, I cant complain.

Good info - I was surprised at no 1/4" in (I apparently didn't read up on that prior to purchasing. Not a huge deal but still. I can see where the weight would come into the equation with that many shows!!

Glad to hear that it does it's job though - that's awesome.

The Tuki Friedman ASM-12 Padded Bag is a good investment. Keeps the size and weight relatively the same while providing transport protection. Excellent customer service. Great fit and completely encloses the monitor - less the handle. I added the pocket and had mine delivered within a few days:

http://www.tukicovers.com/amp-and-s...an/friedman-asm-12-active-monitor-padded-bag/
Thanks for sharing that. Just ordered one with the pocket. I don't gig with mine but still nice to have a cover.

Check out the XiTone's man. I don't gig as much as you but we have a few out of town dates a year and at 38lbs they are awesome. Highly recommend them. I have the Friedman, CLR's and the XiTone's.
http://www.xitonecabs.com/models/active-1x12-wedge/index.html

Bought my ASM12 in December... Absolutely love it! Will definitely be purchasing a 2nd. My presets sound so amazing running through it. The Axe fx 2+ sounded great through my studio monitors, but the ASM just takes that sound to a much higher more articulate dynamic area

Back
Top Bottom