Friedman ASM-12 or ASM-10 - Which FRFR Should I Buy?

If you had to choose one to gig with, which would it be?

• Friedman ASM-10

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Friedman ASM-12

Votes: 3 75.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Frank L.

Trying to decide between the 2. I do not have anywhere locally that I can demo them. Will be used for my live stage monitor in 2 hard rock bands.

The ASM-10 is slightly appealing because 1) Its a bit cheaper, and 2) It weighs a good bit less. However, I see a lot of good praise for the ASM-12, so I'm not sure what to do :)

Anyone played both side by side and can give a comparison?

Thanks

Never played the 10, but I did own a 12, and if an option was "neither" it is what I would pick, for whatever that is worth. IMO simply better monitors out there by Xitone and Atomic for similar costs, and even something like a DXR10 is preferable in my opinion. Lots of discussion on the forum about the ASM so won't repeat it all here, but probably worth a read.

Never played the 10, but I did own a 12, and if an option was "neither" it is what I would pick, for whatever that is worth. IMO simply better monitors out there by Xitone and Atomic for similar costs, and even something like a DXR10 is preferable in my opinion. Lots of discussion on the forum about the ASM so won't repeat it all here, but probably worth a read.

I've used a DXR10 and was not really happy with it. The sound was not acceptable and I was not a big fan of the plastic housing. I actually managed to crack the shell on mine before I got rid of it simply from the rigors of regular gigging.

I did look at Xitone and Atomic, but neither of which seemed to carry the name like Friedman did. I'm looking for reliability over anything else.

The other reason I'm leaning towards the friedman units is I have a fairly large store credit at a retailer than carries them. They do not carry Xitone or Atomic, sadly. I do like the Atomic, particularly the mkII which seems extremely light weight.

I own the 12, well the cab version ASC12, as well as CLRs, and have tried a host of other options. I've heard the 10 and it sounds very good.I like the Friedman FR stuff. Reminds me more of a guitar cabinet than a monitor. I have never bonded with that full range almost sterile sound of most FRFR options. I think the Friedmans do a good job of filling the gap between a traditional FRFR monitor and a guitar cab. My $.02.

I own the 12, well the cab version ASC12, as well as CLRs, and have tried a host of other options. I've heard the 10 and it sounds very good.I like the Friedman FR stuff. Reminds me more of a guitar cabinet than a monitor. I have never bonded with that full range almost sterile sound of most FRFR options. I think the Friedmans do a good job of filling the gap between a traditional FRFR monitor and a guitar cab. My $.02.

Yeah, that was my take from the reviews that I've read. I'm a big fan of "make it sound like an amp/cab". I don't want a sterile stage experience.

The asm12 is not very durable (the finish material), doesn’t stack well, and a bit ponderous to carry. If the ASC sounds as good (not heard them in person) I would go with that assuming you’ll be using in backline config.

The asm12 is not very durable (the finish material), doesn’t stack well, and a bit ponderous to carry. If the ASC sounds as good (not heard them in person) I would go with that assuming you’ll be using in backline config.

Curious about the durability, as thats not something I had heard before. I do not mind if the finish gets scratched, I'm more concerned with it straight up breaking (like the DXR10).

As I mentioned in my post, I'm using it for a live stage monitor, not a backline. the ASC12 is not really ideal for this.

Not really concerned with "stacking" as I travel fairly light (One of the big draws for using an AX8). 2-3 guitars, monitor, AX8. Everything I need is attached to my board.

I had an ASM-12 and I didn't like it, it had some kind of weird low end rumble when playing loud. I ended up selling it, maybe was my unit or my presets.

Have a ASM-12 and I really like it. I had a pair of CLR's before and loved them. The ASM just feels more like a cab to me. I know it's probably not completely flat but it sounds good, thumps like a cab, and I enjoy playing it. Everything out there is going to color your tone, including the PA, play out of something you like listening to and adjust for FOH as needed.

I have an ASM12 and have nothing good to say about it.

Keep in mind that it is just the electronics from a third party powered PA speaker jammed into an enclosure that sorta looks like a guitar cab. It does NOT color the sound like a guitar cab does. This is easy to prove by simply turning off the cab block on the AX8 and you get the same buzzy tone you get through any non-guitar cab without the cab block. At best, maybe the cabinet design provides some color on top of the cab block IR, but, to my ears, that just clouds patch design as your patches will not sound the same through more transparent speakers (i.e. PA, in-ear monitors, recordings, etc.).

I wouldn't describe the ASM12 as any less "sterile" than any other PA speaker I've played through. I wouldn't say it "feels" more like a guitar cab than any other PA speaker or "moves air" like a guitar cab.

Weightwise, it really isn't that heavy, but the physical design of the thing makes it more awkward to move around, pack up in a vehicle, etc. than it needs to be.

As Tahoebrian5 stated, the finish is poorly done. It seems like they put a textured paint on it to simulate tolex but that paint scratches off very easily. Mine has a bunch of places where the paint has dinged off despite spending most of its life in my carpeted rehearsal space other than a handful of trips where I personally carried it to and from my car (i.e. it's not like someone else was carrying and randomly running in to stuff with it).

I could go on but those are some of the major things I dislike about it.

Yeah, that was my take from the reviews that I've read. I'm a big fan of "make it sound like an amp/cab". I don't want a sterile stage experience.
I think the Cab version--ASC 12 sounds very good. Definitely not Flat response. Thumps nicely and has a better midrange response to my ears. Wedges never sound right to me.
My cab does have tolex but it isn't particularly durable tolex--More like what would be on an old Fender combo.

I just ordered the ASC10. I wanted something a little more cab-like than my CLR. I’ll know next week how it compares.

I just ordered the ASC10. I wanted something a little more cab-like than my CLR. I’ll know next week how it compares.
any update to your ASC10? I'm in the market for a pair of FRFR's and like to have something that has the most cab-like sounds that push air. thanks!

Back
Top Bottom