Friedman ASM-12 FRFR

ratsgym

Inspired
Went in to Tone Merchants to hear Dave's asm -12 monitor. Was surprised when he told me just to take one home to see what I thought. That was really nice of him to do that. Now the review. This is my honest appraisal of it. My rhythm guitarist thought I had been playing my Small Box head and cab all night. That's how awesome the Ax8 sounded through the ASM. It pushes air just like the real thing. A little bassy which is easily solved with EQ. Dave really knocked it out of the park with this one.

I was torn on what to go with, but I ultimately decided on a Mission Engineering Gemini 2. I think the familiar 2x12 cab and Bluetooth feature is what swayed me. I'm going to hate myself if I made an $800 mistake, but I won't know until I get my AX8 invite!

I have 2 ASM-12's and they are incredible. As far as bass I hit the bass cut switch on the back and was all set.. My FRFR search is done

I Have a pair and they are nice but watch your ears, I was playing too loud for too long and now my ears ring all the time from the horns. I play quieter now and they do sound great! Coming from cabs behind me to wedges in front of me, they get into your ears more I guess. That was super cool of him to let you take one and try it out.

Bought one recently. Love it. Alot.

Terrible handle placement for how heavy it is. Also wish it had some corner protection as well. This thing wont survive touring.
Plus whoever was in charge of armor-all'ing this thing went nuts. It slides on my carpet like im curling at the Olympics.

Bought one recently. Love it. Alot.

Terrible handle placement for how heavy it is. Also wish it had some corner protection as well. This thing wont survive touring.
Plus whoever was in charge of armor-all'ing this thing went nuts. It slides on my carpet like im curling at the Olympics.

:p:D TOTALLY agree!! Very true..

I quite liked the tones from the one I had.....different to my benchmark CLR but still very good, certainly moved more air and felt more like a cab....BUT...it was also more LIKE a CAB in other ways too!!! No way I'd fancy using one to gig with - so for me it was a non starter - even the CLR is too heavy (non-Neo) - but the stupid handle position and unwieldiness of the Friedman made it a challenge. I just use my RCF now for gigs - can pick it up really easily on the integrated handle. CLR stays in the studio.

Yes, it's definitely FRFR, however some folk on here have sorta questioned how Flat Response it really is in comparison to other FRFR solutions out there. And I suppose thing to bear in mind with that is this.. Some people really want and need a true flat response speaker/cab/wedge.. which is fine. For some people, it just sonically doesn't work. Each to their own. For me, the ASM sounded and 'felt' a lot more like a real cab, and perhaps not as 'flat response' as some may want and like. Your ears will be the best judge for this.

To me the Friedman's do sound more cab like which is awesome. They also translate well to the P.A. system if you used them to make your presets which is also awesome. Win win!

To me the Friedman's do sound more cab like which is awesome. They also translate well to the P.A. system if you used them to make your presets which is also awesome. Win win!

Got one this week, same experience. Closest feeling to playing a real cab through a frfr type speaker. Really happy so far

I was one of the first folks to buy one of these and people thought I was smoking crack when I said how awesome it was. :) I just remember buying one and not feeling like I really needed to tweak much.

Ax8 arrived today, first time playing a fractal product through the asm12. Had axe fx 2 before but sold before I got the asm2. Anyway the ax8 sounded awesome through it today. Just messing around with the stock presets with a CS tele.

Back
Top Bottom